Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 29-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #21
dragon888
Arofanatic

LTK closing speech at the Workers' Party's rally.....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
dragon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #22
jooster78

hi people, pictures from the rally sites

http://darrensoh.com/elections/
Old 29-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
D24

AFC Committee

Default Opposition Rallies

Hi guys... pls share videos for those who r unable to attend... thx

D24

28/04/2011

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 29-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arowana_fan View Post
Thanks for sharing, I was at WP Rally as well. Reached there around 815pm.
Saw the crowd like Michael Jackson concert. Couldn't see the stage, could not even hear a word clearly. Lingered for around 15 mins, gave up, disappoint, returned home
U gave up too easily.... a group of us were there at around the same time..... there were a sea of people at the rally field but u can easily walk through gaps in the crowd up to 50m in front of the stage.....
dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6238 View Post
U gave up too easily.... a group of us were there at around the same time..... there were a sea of people at the rally field but u can easily walk through gaps in the crowd up to 50m in front of the stage.....
hahahaa.. so how about to9 ?....
KAO LUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
LoNgFei

YouTube Video
Old 29-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
therat
Arofanatic

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...221927038.html

Over 15,000 attend Workers’ Party rally

Over 15,000 people who turned up at the Workers' Party (WP) rally on Thursday night went home impressed after listening to Chen Show Mao's maiden speech.

Chen -- who is contesting in Aljunied group representation constituency (GRC) with WP chief Low Thia Khiang, party chairman Sylvia Lim, Pritam Singh and Faisal Abdul Manap -- received one of the loudest cheers from the teeming mass of people gathered at a field along Hougang Central when he was introduced on stage.

The WP "star catch" went on to give his self-introductions in Malay and Tamil, before delivering his speech in English and Mandarin.

Calling the crowd "brothers and sisters", he said that he was heeding the call from the nation's leaders to come home and serve the country and that "it is good to be back to home."

During the course of his English speech, he touched on how wages were not increasing as fast as the country's GDP growth, highlighting that most of the growth went to corporate profits and wage income for top earners.

While speaking in Mandarin, Chen asked voters to think about their vote, before asking them to think about how many more "five years" they have left in their lives to choose their government.

WP secretary-general Low, who has been Hougang's MP for the past 20 years, also got the crowd cheering when he referred to Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam calling the WP "a co-driver", whom Low felt is essential especially when "the road is hard to navigate."

To everyone's delight, he said, "The co-driver is there to slap the driver when he drives off-course or when he falls asleep!"

After which he added, "But of course, if he drives responsibly, then just keep talking to him to keep him awake."

Yaw Shin Leong, who will be replacing Low in Hougang and will go against the People's Action Party's Desmond Choo, talked about "the Hougang spirit" among residents and asked why they were penalised for supporting the opposition.

He got the crowd cheering towards the end of his speech when he asked them, "Will you support us?"

Hougang resident Marx Seet, an auditor, was one of the many thousands who responded, "Die die support you!"

People Yahoo! Singapore spoke to felt that it was a good start to WP's campaign to win votes, especially with their 'A' team facing a tough battle ahead in Aljunied GRC.

Workers' Party supporters brought their toy hammer to the rally. (Yahoo!/Liyana Low)

Workers' Party supporters brought their toy hammer to the rally. (Yahoo!/Liyana Low)

"It's the first time I've seen Singaporeans so passionate about something like this. But I do hope that crowds will translate into votes for them," said Kelvin Tey, 28.

Others felt that WP could do better for its rallies.

Said Deryck Chan, 25, "Some of the speakers could have done more to stir the crowds' emotions."

Second-time voter Juliana Yong added, "I'm here because I want to make an informed decision and get a clearer picture of who I want to vote for when I go to the polls."

For Ms M. Ng, 36, she was at the rally for a special reason.

"I came specially to hear his speech, I didn't even eat my dinner to come for this rally," she said, before screaming "Chen Show Mao, I love you!" when he was introduced on stage.

Watch a video of the crowd at the rally.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #28
therat
Arofanatic

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...184231332.html

Poor turnout at PAP’s first GE rally

If the outcome for this General Election was based purely on rally attendances, the Opposition would win hands down.

An estimated 2,500 people, many of whom were hardcore party supporters, turned up for the People's Action Party's (PAP) first rally for the 2011 General Election at the field beside Buangkok MRT station on Thursday evening.

That figure pales in comparison to the rallies for the Worker's Party in Hougang (estimated 20,000), in Geylang East for National Solidarity Party (estimated 5,000), in Clementi stadium for Reform Party (estimated 4,000) and near Commonwealth MRT for Singapore Democratic Party (estimated 10,000).

Supporters there with flags and banners to support the PAP team. (Yahoo Photo/Marianne)

Supporters there with flags and banners to support the PAP team. (Yahoo Photo/Marianne)

Present at the PAP rally were candidates contesting Pasir Ris-Punggol Group Representation Constituency (GRC), Punggol East Single Member Constituency (SMC) and Sengkang West SMC.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean stumbled early on in his speech, after he wrongly addressed the audience as a "Siglap crowd." He quickly made amends and address his audience as from "Sengkang West".

On the topic of Singapore's cash reserves, DPM Teo -- who is leading the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC team -- talked about the purpose of the reserve and how it helped Singaporeans tide over the financial downturn in the last five years.

"Now, however, the opposition parties seem to have forgotten why we need the reserves... and they now want to raid the reserves for all kinds of clever ideas," he said.

DPM Teo challenged the opposition's intention of using cash reserves. (Yahoo! photo)

DPM Teo challenged the opposition's intention of using cash reserves. (Yahoo! photo)

"To them, 60 billion dollars is small change," said the DPM before rhetorically asking the audience, "Do you know how many zeros there are in 60 billion? That to the government, is not small change."

Michael Palmer, the PAP candidate for Punggol East also impressed residents when he spoke fluent Mandarin.

"If you elect the PAP team for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, Punggol East SMC, the Pasir Ris Punggol Town Council will continue to see and manage the facilities of both Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC and the newly carved out Punggol East SMC," said the 43-year-old lawyer.

He also announced that he will be appointed the town council chairman if elected and this appointment would ensure a seamless continuation of service without interruptions or any transition periods.

Palmer also asked voters to think carefully about the three-cornered challenge posed by Desmond Lim from the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) and Workers' Party Lee Li Lian for Punggol East SMC.

"They have not worked the ground but appeared seven weeks before the Polling Day. Mr Lim said then (in 2006) that even if he did not win, he would continue to work the ground until the next election. After the election, we did not see Mr Lim for the next four-and-a-half years," said Palmer.

Supporters for Pasir Ris- Punggol East candidate Penny Wong. (Yahoo! photo)

Supporters for Pasir Ris- Punggol East candidate Penny Wong. (Yahoo! photo)

Spotted in the crowd was former army chief and PAP candidate Chan Chun Sing whose Tanjong Pagar GRC was the only ward not contested. He was seen walking around alone surveying trying to gain a different perspective from his "backstage view".

"I would say that a majority of Singaporeans are very logical and considered people. To make you vote, people can say things to stir your emotions and those things said may not be of substance," he said.

A spectator who declined to be named told Yahoo! Singapore she was asked to attend the PAP rally to lend support.

When asked who her employer was, she said "PCF", referring to the PAP Community Foundation organization known for it's pre-school kindergartens.

A fair number of youths were also seen at the rally listening attentively to the various speeches.

Nan, a 22-year-old student, said she had been a resident around the area since she was born.

"I'm very excited about this election because of the opposition. I'm not very experienced though," said the first-time voter.
Old 29-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #29
therat
Arofanatic

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...180444041.html

‘It felt like Stefanie Sun came on stage’

"It felt like (local artiste) Stefanie Sun came on the stage".

That tweet by Twitter user Joyce Sim (@jovenaheart) pretty much summed up the current pop-star aura of National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate Nicole Seah when she addressed the crowd at her party's rally held at Geylang East on Thursday night.

Certainly, the 5,000-strong crowd, made up slightly of more men than women, reserved their loudest cheers for this General Election's youngest candidate.

Seah, 24, who was the second-last candidate to speak, spoke about the rising cost of living during her 15-minute speech which she peppered with smatterings of Mandarin and Malay.

The Marine Parade GRC candidate lamented the high prices of public housing -- "public housing, indeed" -- and the Goods and Service Tax which eats into the middle class households' expenses.

She also argued against the increase in foreigners in Singapore -- to the extent that "everytime I take the train, no need for a passport, I feel like I'm on holiday in a different country."

Seah -- who in the space of two weeks has gained a huge following on Facebook with over 30,000 fans -- said the NSP also would focus on employment, growing wages and building a better quality of life for Singaporeans, she said. The party also "promises compassionate lower prices for first time homeowners".

She reserved her strongest criticism for Prime Minister Lee Hsieng Loong when she asked point blank, "PM Lee, whose money are you using for upgrading? Whose money is used to pay your salary?"

Also responding to PM Lee's comment that the GE is not "masak-masak", she said,"Of course the NSP team feels that it is not masak-masak lah, that's why the NSP never change its Tampines team at the last minute."

As Seah rallied the crowd, her parents (right) stood by the side of the stage as her mother nodded and clapped along with the crowd.

A total of 10 NSP candidates spoke during the three-hour rally. They tackled a variety of issues, ranging from housing, transport, quality of life, the group representation system and ministerial salaries.

Asked Tampines GRC candidate Gilbert Goh, "Are you having a better life compared to five years ago? Is your salary right now higher than five years ago? Do you think you have a better Singapore compared to five years ago?"

NSP candidate Gilbert Goh makes his maiden rally speech. (Yahoo! photo/Alicia Wong)

NSP candidate Gilbert Goh makes his maiden rally speech. (Yahoo! photo/Alicia Wong)

There was a sombre moment when NSP chief Goh Meng Seng paid tribute to his late brother, David Goh, who died from a heart attack on Thursday morning.

The NSP Tampines team leader went on to lambast Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong for the high cost of living today through measures such as the electronic road pricing.

He said, Singapore's former Prime Minister had introduced a "Swiss cost of living", rather than a Swiss standard of living. He blamed SM Goh for turning Singapore into a "company" and for focusing on GDP growth instead of the people.

Meanwhile former MP Cheo Chai Chen criticised the government for not listening to the oppositions' ideas, while newcomer and Mountbatten SMC candidate Jeanette Chong-Aruldoss questioned PAP's candidate in Marine Parade GRC, Tin Pei Ling.

When Tin rallied hawkers in MacPherson to pledge to keep prices steady, did she ask the National Environment Agency not to increase the rent of these hawkers, questioned Chong-Aruldoss.

An estimated 5,000 turned up for the rally. (Yahoo! photo)

An estimated 5,000 turned up for the rally. (Yahoo! photo)
Some members of the crowd told Yahoo! Singapore they found the atmosphere "festive" while others felt it was "a bit quiet".

A group of four people, who live in Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, Alujnied GRC, Radin Mas SMC and Marine Parade GRC, said they would be visiting various rallies to found out more about the opposition parties.

They said the NSP's arguments were logical and the party "brought out the frustrations of Singaporeans".

54-year-old Eric Perera, who lives in Marine Parade GRC, said the rally was "not as fiery" as previous rallies he had been to. But his two daughters who accompanied him felt the speakers "connected" with the ground, he said.

After attending a few more rallies, "(there will be) deep searching inside on who I'll vote for," said Perara.
Old 29-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #30
therat
Arofanatic

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...183116747.html

RP rally turnout trumps S-League attendance

The turnout for the Reform Party's (RP) first election rally at the Clementi Stadium on Thursday evening will put any S-League match to shame.

Around 3,000 people filled the home ground of Tanjong Pagar United Football Club, surpassing the average 1,417 S-League match attendance in 2010.

However, it was a different ball game when people started streaming in at 7 pm as the rally commenced, with RP candidates addressing issues they wished to improve if successfully elected.

Less than half an hour into the rally, a large number of people were seen leaving the comfort of their seats at the stands and headed closer to the stage for a better view of the candidates.

A sizeable crowd turned up for the Reform Party's first election rally. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

A sizeable crowd turned up for the Reform Party's first election rally. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

Bread and butter issues like housing prices, transport costs, immigration policies and ministerial salaries drew the loudest applause and cheers from the crowd, who braved the warm and humid evening weather to attend the rally.

Addressing the rising costs of HDB flats and long waiting time for Build-To-Order (BTO) projects, the crowd responded with a resounding 'no' when asked by RP secretary-general Kenneth Jeyaretnam if the HDB has done a good job over the last ten years.

Jeyaretnam's fellow West Coast GRC candidate Kumar Appavoo also questioned Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's idea in 1984 -- that Singapore should attain the Swiss standard of living by 1999 -- in his speech.

But the crowd saved their loudest support for the RP candidates who are contesting in Ang Mo Kio GRC.

Candidate Osman Sulaiman focused on issues such as the influx of foreigners while Lim Zirui spoke on making health care affordable.

They will take on the People's Action Party team led by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's, which they referred to as "the dragon's den", and calling themselves "the dragon slayers".

Kenneth Jeyaretnam speaking to a member of the public. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

Kenneth Jeyaretnam speaking to a member of the public. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

Technician Chan Ah Heng, 52, told Yahoo! Singapore that he was there to see J.B. Jeyaretnam's son in action.

"I used to enjoy Jeyaretnam senior's speeches, so I'm here to listen to his son. I heard that he is quite capable and has good intentions," he said.

Full-time National Serviceman Nicholas Guan, 22, who received his Singapore citizenship earlier this month and lives in Yuhua SMC, said, "I came out of curiosity as I've never attended a rally before. It is also interesting to just listen to what they have to say."

Housewife Madam Leong, 46, added, "I am interested in what the Reform Party can do to lower housing costs."

In his closing remarks, Jeyaretnam encouraged the crowd to join the party to help out, and said, "It will be my honour to represent you."