Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 19-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
richardg
Arofanatic

he actually said this?
=
"Mine is a very matter-of-fact approach to the problem. If you can select a population and they're educated and they're properly brought up, then you don't have to use too much of the stick because they would already have been trained. It's like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it's got to leave, go outside to pee and to defecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts."

- Lee Kuan Yew on Singapore society, The Man & His Ideas
==

wa.. this is unforgiveable...shows he never had to go HDB estate..
afaik, the reason is simple, there are no public toilets..if u dont live there, there is no place to do the job....got choice who wants to take that kind of risk.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
ymmij
Senior Dragon

The Man and His Tough Talk

MM Lee himself is known as a “tough talker” at times. Some of his public comments still remain vividly etched in the minds of Singaporeans.
In the book, The Man and His Ideas (1997), MM Lee perhaps made his most candid (some would say alarming) comment on Singaporeans and Singapore society:

“It’s like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it’s got to leave, go outside to pee and to defecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts.” – Lee Kuan Yew on Singapore society, The Man & His Ideas, 1997
The analogy which MM Lee used is a most interesting one. Likening Singaporeans to “adult dogs”, and using the example of defecation and urination, it is not only derogatory and demeaning, it is also well ungracious, to put it mildly.

Many more interesting quotes can be found here:
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/...us-government/
http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/...ean-heres-why/
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lee_Kuan_Yew

Last edited by ymmij; 20-04-2011 at 12:04 AM.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
Aris
Arofanatic

Thank you for the effort. I hope more than those in Arofanatics are able to view it.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
ymmij
Senior Dragon

difficult to summaries coz too much content involved...

i like the food of the YOG best

Old 20-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
bigworld

well done, really
Old 22-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #16
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Sylvia Lim's speech on our dear ministers pay:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 22-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #17
AkionLCG
Arofanatic

Any garment body moderate the pay of maid?

4 years ago, my Indo maid's pay is $300,
2 years ago, renew contract with $330 pay
1 years ago, my new Indo maid's pay is $350.
now, my bro's new Indo maid salary is $400, I heard the current market is $450.

New maid's salary pay had increased at least 30% pay increase within 4 years while my pay is only 3% increment every year....
AkionLCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Stonedisc

Thumb up... Tks for sharing
Old 22-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
smellyfish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkionLCG View Post
Any garment body moderate the pay of maid?

4 years ago, my Indo maid's pay is $300,
2 years ago, renew contract with $330 pay
1 years ago, my new Indo maid's pay is $350.
now, my bro's new Indo maid salary is $400, I heard the current market is $450.

New maid's salary pay had increased at least 30% pay increase within 4 years while my pay is only 3% increment every year....
The maids start from a very low base...
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
AkionLCG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
The maids start from a very low base...
I understand the maid's pay is very low as compared to our pay. However, as compared to what they are getting when they are back in Indo, they would be getting about $50 working in Jakarta. Pls correct me if I'm wrong cos I get this info from my first maid.

I'm not against increasing the maid's salary but the sudden increase of the salary within this year or last year is too much. Futhermore, ST published the news that the maid is working in HK and Taiwan are getting nearly double and to attract the decreasing maid to Singapore, their salary in Singapore has to increase accordingly. This, I believe, is causing a lot of problem to me and to rest as well. To be frank, I'm quite worried that my current maid would know the current salary range and come out with some stunt like someone in their home is sick and want to go home or even don't want to perform her tasks and make us send her back to the agency where she can get the higher salary with another employer. So far my maid is still quite obedience but we never know..

Another point is that if there is a increase in the salary, shouldn't garment lend a helping hand to help the commoner to buffer the increase like lowering the levy? This is want I'm hoping from the garment who cares.
AkionLCG is offline   Reply With Quote