Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
auhsojtree

Default Sump Tank Vs Canister Filter.

Dear all,

I am setting up an new Marine Tank and i need some advice.

Can a canister be replaced instead of sump, since canister can do
as a biological, chemical and mechanical filter.

Thanks alot!

Joshua
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
KaLiB

A canister can definitely not replace a sump as you can do alot more with a sump, besides filtration.However, IMO, its probably the next best choice if a sump is not used.

These are some of the functions a sump can perform that a canister filter cannot replace:
- Can hide equipment in there like the protein skimmer
- Can setup macroalgae refugium in there
- Greatly increases total tank water volume(more stable water parameters)
- More surface area for increased gaseous exchange

However, a sump does cost more(overall, when include piping and return pump) than a canister filter. It also takes up alot more space. So i would advise that you put these into consideration when deciding on sump or canister filter.
Old 22-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
valerossi
Arofanatic

Having a sump is alot better. IMO if u got a choice, go for sump.
valerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
valerossi
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
A canister can definitely not replace a sump as you can do alot more with a sump, besides filtration.However, IMO, its probably the next best choice if a sump is not used.

These are some of the functions a sump can perform that a canister filter cannot replace:
- Can hide equipment in there like the protein skimmer
- Can setup macroalgae refugium in there
- Greatly increases total tank water volume(more stable water parameters)
- More surface area for increased gaseous exchange

However, a sump does cost more(overall, when include piping and return pump) than a canister filter. It also takes up alot more space. So i would advise that you put these into consideration when deciding on sump or canister filter.

And when testing the water will be much easier
valerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
frozenflamex89

Having a sump tank gives u maximum space to place all your equipments and filtration stuff.

as playing marine requires alot of additional equipment such as skimmers, reactors...
the sight of pipings and hanging equipment on your tank would be an ugly sight which spoil the beauty of the marine tank..
Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquaticculture

I've got a friend whom replaced a canister for a sump. Why he did it was mainly due to money and space constrain. Lots of loving care have to be given if you're using a canister bro. From what he told me.... its really lots of love loh.

Go for a sump if you can afford it and has the space for it. It gives you more flexibility.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Sunburst

Bro Joshua

To take another step forward, can't agreed anymore further with the rest that the depolyment of the sump filtration method is the direction to adopt.

But in the event that you decided to opt for the Canister filtration to reasons best known to you then it is best to have two (2) canister filters ie one large biological and one smaller chemical filter.

Reason being you will be opening and messing with the chemical filter much more than the biological one. So this means that your biological filtration processes remain undisturbed for longer periods which helps to maintain stability.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
bbpippen

most marina owners usually have a DIY sump tank, the cost isnt that much as compared to a canister with regards to the amount of benefits it provides.

Its fairly easy to setup. you will just need a submersible pump or a internal power head to pump water to the outlet of the tank.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
xiong

i used a cannister in the past, got its benefits too..
more compact.
but cleaning is really a problem. ha.
someone suggested covering the intake with a filter and cleaning the filter once every 2 to 3 days so as to lessen the times needed to clean the filter.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Ryan Wong

Just to share my experince using canister, I open and close the canister so many times from the weekly checkly, adhoc checks to clear debris until the canister cover break from wear and tear. Going to change to sump now, surely more easy to clean the filter.

Are you using a overflow system? bcos when you mention canister, do you mean that your tank has no overflow sys?