Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 31-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
loveikan
Arofanatic

Default Dr Tan CB is moving into a new role. Hope to see him in the coming GE 2020

The people's champion!

Hanging up my stethoscope

After a fruitful 50 years as a doctor, I hang up my stethoscope today for good.

Practising medicine is one of my great joys in life. I especially remember with fondness, my time as a village doctor in Lim Chu Kang. I opened my clinic "Ama Keng Clinic " in 1971 in a village of attap and zinc roof houses. Its villagers grew vegetables in small plots and reared pigs in their backyards. Water came from wells and standpipes. Lighting was poor as most homes did not have electricity. Only a single main road was lit. But the villagers managed with kerosene lamps - and I once even delivered a baby in the dim kerosene lamp light.
The villagers were simple, honest people - many struggling to make ends meet. So I became more than a doctor, by helping them in family feuds, land disputes and writing letters to government departments. Those were such interesting times!

Later a big resettlement exercise uprooted the whole village and surrounding areas. The villagers were relocated to many parts of the island. It was extremely traumatic and painful for many, whose only life skill was farming. Countless multi generational households were broken up. They suffered anxiety and depression settling into HDB flats. Now the village is no more and overgrown with secondary forest.

When I moved my practice to the HDB heartlands, my old patients continued to look for me. Thank you for playing such a big part in my life.

In these last few weeks, I have had the pleasure of meeting many of these old patients who came to wish me well. They asked me what I plan to do, now that I have retired from medicine.

I tell them that retirement is not an option for me I am merely switching my role from serving patients to serving people. I always say that medicine is my love, but politics is my calling.

The country and the peoples' welfare are my top priority.

I look forward to serving Singapore in a new way in this new season of life.

Happy New Year 2019
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
hkh
Arofanatic

Nice to have Dr Tan serving us as our next Pxxx.......but not sure what's the obstacles ahead ??
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote