Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #31
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
I couldn't resist so I bought one to test it out.

I've got two light fittings in the hood and they're both MR16 so I can compare the two bulbs together.

Of course being only 170 lumens at best I'd need at least 4 of them to match the two Solux lamps.

Also, I'm trying to grow plants (well java fern and java moss) and I can't seem to get any spectral data from Ultraleds.
I dont quite get it, it consumes 1watt of power and gives out 17watts of light? = 170lumens?

FYI, a luxeon 3watt LED only have an output of 55lumens.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #32
aropal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™ View Post
I dont quite get it, it consumes 1watt of power and gives out 17watts of light? = 170lumens?

FYI, a luxeon 3watt LED only have an output of 55lumens.
Which bit don't you get ?

My claim that 17 watts if incandescent light typically produces 170 lumens ?

Or their claim that their lamp uses only 1 watt and produces as much light as a 17watt incandescent light.

Incidentally, unless my maths is failing me (and it may well be) Optolum were producing an led lamp that could produce 83.3 lumens for 3 watts almost 3 years ago; they may well have improved since then.
See here: http://www.analogzone.com/grnp0811.htm

I've emailed both Optolum and Ultraleds to find out what their state of the art is at the moment and whose led they are using; I'll post their responses.

Last edited by aropal; 06-10-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #33
atom

Quote:

Or their claim that their lamp uses only 1 watt and produces as much light as a 17watt incandescent light.

Incidentally, unless my maths is failing me (and it may well be) Optolum were producing an led lamp that could produce 83.3 lumens for 3 watts almost 3 years ago; they may well have improved since then.

I've emailed both Optolum and Ultraleds to find out what their state of the art is at the moment and whose led they are using; I'll post their responses.

Hail to technology advancement. I still remembered my younger days when I had a huge argument with my lecturer. The topic was 2 valves (or max 3 valves) per piston head (petrol). I said 4 was possible and furthermore, ferrari was toying the idea of having 5!

Old 06-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #34
Mahek

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
The problem is i'm not using it to tanning. I'm currently using 4 x T8 36W and I find it not natural. Bright but not so good for taking pictures.
So pic taking is yr problem.Wonder how couple of AF bros here take some lovely pics.I have a lousy Nikon 4600 feel its no good for fish shoots.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #35
aropal

I have just had a reply from Solux it seems they ship to Singapore directly from their warehouse in Taiwan.
In fact it would probably be cheaper for me to buy from there and ship to the UK.

These are the people involved: www.eiko-ltd.com

If you want a price you can email: Aaron Liao at aaron@eiko-pacific.com
and give him your requirements for, "color temperature & beam spread" and he'll give you a price.

[Don't forget you will be projecting the light from air to water so the high refractive index of water will reduce the beam spread by quite a lot so get the widest beam angle possible. ]

Old 06-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #36
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:

Based on your article, they are using an array of 24x 1.2watt Luxeon LEDs to get 800lumens. Using basic calculation that will be an total of 28.8watts for 800lumens or 27lumens/watt.

Luxeon LEDs give out alot of heat for their tiny size and can fry itself if the heat is not well dissipated.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #37
aropal

Quote:
Based on your article, they are using an array of 24x 1.2watt Luxeon LEDs to get 800lumens. Using basic calculation that will be an total of 28.8watts for 800lumens or 27lumens/watt.

Luxeon LEDs give out alot of heat for their tiny size and can fry itself if the heat is not well dissipated.
Right, so that's 27.7 lumens per watt or 83.3 lumens for 3 watts. And that was three years ago. The lights made by both Ultraled and Optolum are both claimed to be low temperature devices so it looks like the three years has seen a little progress.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #38
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Right, so that's 27.7 lumens per watt or 83.3 lumens for 3 watts. And that was three years ago. The lights made by both Ultraled and Optolum are both claimed to be low temperature devices so it looks like the three years has seen a little progress.
Thats why I dont agree that 1watt LED can produce 170lumens, its simply not possible with the current technology.

Currently philips luxeon are the industry leaders in high power LED and lighting manufacturers are still using their luxeon LEDs.

1watt and 3watt LEDs are actually the same. The higher quality dies will be sold as 3watt and lower grade dies will be sold as 1watt LEDs.

The optical surface of LEDs are of course cool to touch. However, the back of the die is very very hot. Heat is the ultimate enemy of electronics and you will need a very efficient cooling method to pack a large array of luxeon LEDs.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #39
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Thats why I dont agree that 1watt LED can produce 170lumens, its simply not possible with the current technology.

Currently philips luxeon are the industry leaders in high power LED and lighting manufacturers are still using their luxeon LEDs.

1watt and 3watt LEDs are actually the same. The higher quality dies will be sold as 3watt and lower grade dies will be sold as 1watt LEDs.

The optical surface of LEDs are of course cool to touch. However, the back of the die is very very hot. Heat is the ultimate enemy of electronics and you will need a very efficient cooling method to pack a large array of luxeon LEDs.
LEDs can be very bright if focused into a narrow beam. However, if you want to light up the whole tank, you will need alot more LEDs spreaded out. LEDs lose alot of intensity if used as a wide beam, it might not have enough intensity to punch through the depth. You can of course use alot of narrow beam LEDs to get that kind of intensity needed.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #40
NH3man

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Any bros using T5 lightings for 522 tank? Planning to use 2 tubes, 39W 8500k each. Will it be sufficient?
Me! Depending what type of fish, 6500K colour slightly more redish good for RED. Look at my Gallery