Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
jubie

redcross Need help on sump tank issues

Hi to all AF shifus and bros, I encounter some problem with sump tank which i setup earlier. Really hope shifu and bros can advise xiao di on what went wrong.

Currently the IOS compartment did not manage to fill up the water to near brim and it is remaining at a very low point even though i already on the pump and it create a loud water splash sound as the water from the top of the tank hit the bottom of the IOS and i am not sure what went wrong.

Currently using a aqua zonic pump with 6000 ltr flowrate/hr. Hope can get some advise from shifu to help me improve the situation.

Photo showing the IOS compartment

Photo showing my piping

Overall photo of the current sump setup
Old 14-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Ryan Red
Senior Dragon

some bro/sis here did put BH in the IOS, able to reduce the sound and also BH is good on wet/dry. u may want to try it ^^

compartment that flow back to sump to reduce splash sound is tat there is return pipe (height is almost same as the overflow inlert). so sound reduce.

hope it help yr prob.
Ryan Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
No78
Dragon

hi , you can add bio balls @ ios there .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
ThErMuS
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by No78 View Post
yea... put lots of bio balls at the IOS area.. will decrease the sound greatly
ThErMuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Ryan Red
Senior Dragon

bro, yr return flow rate to sump is higher than yr pump back rate..... tat y water above brim lvl... it not suppose to be..

try to half open yr return flow pipe to sump and see how.
or get higher pump (last comp ) flow rate. (pump flow rate *6 = tank volume) do not overkill as too strong current in main tank will stress aro.

Last edited by Ryan Red; 14-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Ryan Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
stevieg
Dragon

Currently the IOS compartment did not manage to fill up the water to near brim and it is remaining at a very low point even though i already on the pump and it create a loud water splash sound as the water from the top of the tank hit the bottom of the IOS and i am not sure what went wrong.

The IOS compartment should not fill up to the brim. If there is nothing in the IOS you will get the splashin sound. You can put a number of things in the IOS to reduce the splashing sound. Bio balls, bacteria house, plants... Problem is these things may (1) clog up the water and prevent it from flowing into the sump. Then the main tank will overflow at least until the sump is dried out! (2) dirt will get trapped there.

For me I learn to live with the splashing sound as faced both problems I mentioned above. Splashing is also good as can aerate the water!

Just a comment on your sump setup... too little media! Also water level too high so water does not flow through all the media. Water will find the path of least resistance!

Good luck!
stevieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
jubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Red View Post
some bro/sis here did put BH in the IOS, able to reduce the sound and also BH is good on wet/dry. u may want to try it ^^

compartment that flow back to sump to reduce splash sound is tat there is return pipe (height is almost same as the overflow inlert). so sound reduce.

hope it help yr prob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThErMuS View Post
yea... put lots of bio balls at the IOS area.. will decrease the sound greatly
Quote:
bro, yr return flow rate to sump is higher than yr pump back rate..... tat y water above brim lvl... it not suppose to be..

or get higher pump (last comp ) flow rate. (pump flow rate *6 = tank volume) do not overkill as too strong current in main tank will stress aro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post

The IOS compartment should not fill up to the brim. If there is nothing in the IOS you will get the splashin sound. You can put a number of things in the IOS to reduce the splashing sound. Bio balls, bacteria house, plants... Problem is these things may (1) clog up the water and prevent it from flowing into the sump. Then the main tank will overflow at least until the sump is dried out! (2) dirt will get trapped there.

For me I learn to live with the splashing sound as faced both problems I mentioned above. Splashing is also good as can aerate the water!

Just a comment on your sump setup... too little media! Also water level too high so water does not flow through all the media. Water will find the path of least resistance!

Good luck!
All bros gave me the same SOLID advice. Really sorry for my ignorance. I totally forgot about this. I should add media to reduce the sound level. All bros pointed out a very solid point and that is IOS should not be fill to the brim, i kept thinking about the water and forgot about its purpose as a filtration system! Salute all bros here! *salute*

What was an issue 5 mins ago became a very valuable learning lesson for me and totally solve my problems with all ur help! Thank u all bros!

Rayan red bro, no.78 bro, thermus bro, stevieg bro really thx!

Regarding the sump tank water over brim, do i suck out the water and let it stay below the glass level??
Old 14-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
aro-spino
Senior Dragon

Bro, I'd suggest you turn off one of the outlet pipe to the sump. In this way, the water level in the IOS might increase significantly (Although it will not fill up to the brim; also not required). This might reduce the splashing sound.

With the closure of one of the outlet pipe, the water level in the sump might also reduce.

Try it

One suggestion to your medias layout in your sump... try to use laundry bags for your CR instead & arrange them such that they fully occupy the whole sump's area to avoid any loose pockets whereby water are able to slip thru. That defects the purpose of the bio-filtration.

Last edited by aro-spino; 14-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.
aro-spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
alcohologist

Quote:

uhm, what?
this will never happen. the amount of water overflowing will always be the same as the amount being returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubie View Post
Regarding the sump tank water over brim, do i suck out the water and let it stay below the glass level??
definitely remove some water. bypass is very very bad.
Old 14-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
jubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro-spino View Post
Bro, I'd suggest you turn off one of the outlet pipe to the sump. In this way, the water level in the IOS might increase significantly (Although it will not fill up to the brim; also not required). This might reduce the splashing sound.

With the closure of one of the outlet pipe, the water level in the sump might also reduce.

Try it

One suggestion to your medias layout in your sump... try to use laundry bags for your CR instead & arrange them such that they fully occupy the whole sump's area to avoid any loose pockets whereby water are able to slip thru. That defects the purpose of the bio-filtration.
OK! I will do that now. Coz this tank actually comes with 2 pump piping for 2 pumps to work but i only got 1 pump so i think the effect is halved. I off 1 pipe already and now the IOS water is getting higher like what u mentioned! Also added bioballs, the water noise reduced by 85% compared to earlier.

Really appreciated all the help! Solved my problem in seconds!