Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 23-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
JapRanchu

Default Goldfish and Koi in the same pond???

Dear all,

A friend of mine was asking if the 2 varieties (traced to the Carp family though different genus) could be kept in the same pond?

Too noob to answer this and may inadvertently misguide him...thus, I hope the well informed could provide some knowledge on this topic

I may be wrong but from my imagination, the Kois are powerful swimmers and hungry eaters; so in this sense, the goldfish may lose out during feeding time.

And the pond must be huge enough to accommodate the potential growth of the kois...plus a good filteration setup because both are "efficient" waste producers.

Technical and mechanical problems aside...are these fish compatible "under one roof"?

My apologies if this topic had been discussed before

Thank you in advance
Old 23-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
noidea
Dragon

Depend which type of goldfish.

If pearl scale, the koi will attack them. Ruykin is no problem, I have two black ranchu, the koi didn't attack them. But for the other ranchu, the koi whack them upside down.

Another thing to note, if goldfish keep too long in a pond and when you decide to keep them in tank. The goldfish tend to sink and die. I am not sure why it is like this.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
JapRanchu

Well said bro...Thanks for the enlightenment

I find black ranchus to be more hardy compared to other coloured ranchus. Just my humble observation. I don't think the ranchus can withstand the bumps from your Kois in the long run.

Due to my ignorance in the past, I added some molly and other longkang fish into my pond of ranchus. One by one up the lorry and only until one ranchu became a "one-eyed-jack" before I woke up my idea and began to realise the "infighting".

One more thing I learnt today...didn't know about the taboo of transfering pond dwelling goldfish into tanks.

Thanks much bro
Old 24-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

In my opinion it is a big no to mix them. Ur Gf eyes might be attack by the koi firstly and also like wat bro said the swimming speed of koi and Gf is different. I personally will not mix ryukin and ranchu together s I hv got cases of my ranchu eyes "remove" by ryukin.
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
JapRanchu

Thanks for sharing bro

I've learnt a painful lesson on keeping a "multi national" community pond after all my priced ranchus got wiped out by the longkang fish (foreign talent)...hahahaha

But I can well understand his urge esp. after viewing the beautiful Kois from a Koi farm.
Old 24-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
bingkla

My experience...I kept a whole bunch of goldies in a floating cage in my koi pond. Lasted only about 2 weeks, before thay started dying one by one...I guess my koi pond water quality was not good enough for goldfishes.
Old 24-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
JapRanchu

Fwah!! Because both varieties pung sai & pung jeo like nobody's business The fittest survive...
Old 24-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
JapRanchu

The irony is that I only have 2 mollies and 2 longkang fish that were left over feeders for my colleague's arowanas...and they were so tiny in comparison with my ranchus.

But they were very territorial so my ranchus got the kerderbut kerderboot whenever they tresspassed into their niche And all these while, I was still dreaming away because I thought my fish were sick when blood streaks appeared on their scales and "fin and tail rot" occurred amongst them and simply medicated them
Old 24-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
noidea
Dragon

But if the goldfish survive long enough, you will find it grow very big (of course also base on genetic of the goldfish itself too.).
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
JapRanchu

Bro Noidea...u mean when the goldfish and Kois are kept together?