Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
xfire

Default Arowana into Koi pond?

Hi brothers, was thinking about the possibility of putting an Arowana into koi pond... Do not know whether is it possible. Saw a few arowanas and find them very beautiful. Anyone tried below? Or this is a bad idea?
xfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
bingkla

Unless your arrowanas are much smaller than the kois....do not know of anyone who has done this though.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
sildum
Dragon

Very safe it ur koi is not too small for the mouth of your aro to swallow. Arowana eats in whole. The downside is how are u going to feed the arowana as kois and really fast in snatching food with your arowana. Be it pellet or mp. Take up time for u to aim piece by piece of mp infront of your aro's mouth. haha . But overall it is safe. Just dont let the arowana survive on koi pellets alone. The growth and color wont be as impressive. Arowana need more meat/protein base diet.
sildum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Wymun
Arofanatic

I can only share that I have a 26" African Arowana together with several 1+ feet Koi in my mini-pond outdoors...

However, I raised the African Aro from young (6") in a small outdoor FGT in the beginning before transferring it over when it was about 10" with the Koi....

Believe the African Aro is different from the Asian Aros, as the former tends to be more timid, being mainly a filter feeder...
Wymun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Wilgan
Dragon

Think Aro thrives in PH of 6 while kois thrives in PH of 7.2 to 7.8. It will not be ideal as most likely you have to compromise by maintaining a average PH of about 6.6 to 6.8.

I have seen ponds with such combination before though.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
genesis

You need to prepare different food for aro and kois unless u can train aros to eat koi food or koi to eat bf

For me, think it is too troublesome (that coupled with small kois ending up in big aros tummy)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
xfire

Thanks bros for the advices. Probably will leave the Aro option out.
xfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
jonchew38

arowanas are jumpers and i have personally lost as many as 6 when they jumped out of the pond and died. each time i buy one to replace the one that jumped, it would happen all over again till i gave up
silver, asian, pearl etc - all jumpers....so i would be careful - i am also equally curious how some people managed to implement this - havign aro in koi ponds - see a few before
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
JapRanchu

I fully agree with jonchew38.

I've personally lost quite a fortune, let alone beautiful aros, to their superb acrobatic skills
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Wymun
Arofanatic

I also nearly lost my African aro twice when it jumped out. In fact, lost 1 but managed to salvage the other both times...somehow, it managed to survive out of water for a while and coincidentally, I managed to spot it on the ground on both occasions....

The other died cos it jumped and was landlocked overnight....

So far, the remaining one hasn't jumped again...touch wood...but I think what helps is that if you rear it from small, and it stays in that environment, there is a better chance for it to obviate jumping...another thing I found that helps, is to have hiding areas for it to go to in case it gets scared...mine has a wood cover over parts of the pond. In fact, all the fish automatically go there when scared. I guess all jumpy fish need a place to hide...

But for Asian Aros, I guess more difficult cos they natirally jump for food in the wild....best is not to have a hanging overhead branch or foliage nearby, where insects may perch....
Wymun is offline   Reply With Quote