Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 29-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Vil

Question How a red develops?

This may have been discussed before but I just can't locate it the exact thread.

Heard a few versions of red developments which one is the usual increasing of intensity of orange/red as time passes.

Another which I believe I heard/read is that upon a certain time, the color will fade (appetite may change in the process) and then will come back again but deeper, may occur a few times?? Does this happen to all reds, and is it true that the timing and duration also depends on individual reds?

Hope that those experienced + seasoned red keepers can enlighten me and the rest in these areas.

Thanks!

Old 29-09-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil
This may have been discussed before but I just can't locate it the exact thread.

Heard a few versions of red developments which one is the usual increasing of intensity of orange/red as time passes.

Another which I believe I heard/read is that upon a certain time, the color will fade (appetite may change in the process) and then will come back again but deeper, may occur a few times?? Does this happen to all reds, and is it true that the timing and duration also depends on individual reds?

Hope that those experienced + seasoned red keepers can enlighten me and the rest in these areas.

Thanks!
urself is an experienced aro keeper...maybe can check with Bro Vic or Tea...I only knows certain reds can actually skip the deepening from Yellowish to orange...the fading part not sure about that - maybe due to water parameters fluctuations and not due to naturally they will fade and then glow in color intensity...just 2 cents worth of comments

Old 29-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Vil

Bro,

Not experienced yet, this is my first batch, keep only 1 yr, not long enough to see the stages of change. Still pretty much a novice compared to those who kept for years.

Old 29-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Zoff
Senior Dragon

i'm no expert but from what i know...
normally the cracks on the cheeks will start turning orange, then the cheek plates will start blushing. After that the scale rims will start developing an orange tinge. And this orange colour will slowing deepen and turn red... but for some reds, they just remain orange. It all depends on genetics but from what i know, 99% of reds will start with orange development before turning red

tried to get some photos of my red development through 1yr period. tried to find pics w/o use of NAN lights so you can see the changes

may 2003

june 2003

july 2003

sep 2003

nov 2003

dec 2003

jan 2003

jun 2004

jul 2004

aug 2004

Last edited by Zoff; 29-09-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 29-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
yvonne

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil

Thanks!
hmm..interesting...gotta learn from the real mccoy

Old 29-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
kagemaru

I would think Bro Vil is looking at the devlopment stage after the initial color appearance...

IMO

Initial Stage would be spilt to 2 category:

1. Color comes from Gill and covers back to the tail portion
2. Color comes from the back and covers to the front portion (IMO this is difficult to find and up todate I have only met 2 such reds)

Latter Stage of development:

1. Deepening of orangey color on rims (probably the climbing of shine up to the 6th level) some reds will never have coloration on the 6th level scales even though their sides are covered with orangey rims
2. Development of the base color (currently I am observing a deepening of both rims and base - after water conditioning)
3. "Redness" is really difficult to judge when and how they appear as they will do so overnight
4. Some believed in observing appearance of small red spots that will starting sprouting on the SR's tummy...I would choose to observe the redness on the jaw stitch marks

Full prime stage - ???

cannot comment on time duration to achieve this...all boils down to genetics

Old 29-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Beerman
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
urself is an experienced aro keeper...maybe can check with Bro Vic or Tea...I only knows certain reds can actually skip the deepening from Yellowish to orange...the fading part not sure about that - maybe due to water parameters fluctuations and not due to naturally they will fade and then glow in color intensity...just 2 cents worth of comments
The fading part is the most tricky part of keeping red, most red will go through this process afew times. Colour fade, dont eat, become timid and jumpy, many dont have the time to tacker this problem and most will sell their red at below cost.But once it change hand most will regart because colour lai liow!heeheee.. Water management is crucial at this stage and dont forget patient.

Yes, certain red do develop better colour and will skip this yellow and orange stage. Not many i can say and this type of red dont fade colour easily even if it fade the reddest is still there.
Old 29-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea
The fading part is the most tricky part of keeping red, most red will go through this process afew times. Colour fade, dont eat, become timid and jumpy, many dont have the time to tacker this problem and most will sell their red at below cost.But once it change hand most will regart because colour lai liow!heeheee.. Water management is crucial at this stage and dont forget patient.

Yes, certain red do develop better colour and will skip this yellow and orange stage. Not many i can say and this type of red dont fade colour easily even if it fade the reddest is still there.
Wa...Shifu!

I kind of know someone who did wat u mention in para 1

tats y they always said "PATIENCE"

Old 29-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
williamt
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea

you forgot to add, not all will turn red. First of all the fish must have a good gene inorder for it to be able to come close to red when matured. Even how good your water, how much tanning, without a good gene you can forget about it turning red.

Those that skip the yellow and orange stage most of them could be thin frame, at juvenile stage really got not much colour.
Old 29-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #10
jimtan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea

thanks for your tips
right now mine have this problem