Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > Species Profiles & Resources

Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #91
alleyoop

another newbie question...
second day wif discus and problem not eating..
i comm it wif my motoro and green aro...
try blood worm= no
earthworm= no
mp = no
left over mp in small tiny pieces= yes..
is this mean i have to cut very very many mp for this fella?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #92
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyoop
another newbie question...
second day wif discus and problem not eating..
i comm it wif my motoro and green aro...
try blood worm= no
earthworm= no
mp = no
left over mp in small tiny pieces= yes..
is this mean i have to cut very very many mp for this fella?
how many discus u have in ur tank? cuz they feel comfortable in a small grp. if u have only 1 maybe they will take quite a while to stabilise in ur tank. give it some time then maybe let it eat again.
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #93
alleyoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun
how many discus u have in ur tank? cuz they feel comfortable in a small grp. if u have only 1 maybe they will take quite a while to stabilise in ur tank. give it some time then maybe let it eat again.
paiseh paiseh yupe me onli have one...
thanks for the advice bro...
Old 05-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #94
Angel99

sorry huh but at my point of view...discus keeping are meant to be a relaxing hobby,imagine u have to take PH and buy so many different medications,add all those different medi n confused urself,wont it makes ur life difficult...i am keeping discus myself,i did abt 90%+ water change every alternate day,no heater use,no salt use.the only thing im using is anti-chlorine....heater are only use when my discus falls sick...i always believe that fish keeping should be made as easy as possible,not troublesome,everyone after work would love to go home and admire their beautiful fishes and relax,imagine u have to be wary of this n that,isint that a torture?i also believe that alot of ppl drop the idea of keeping discus cos they find discus keeping very 'ma fan'....in fact,if u get to understand more on water condition,everything will be made very easy...go for the easier way n im sure u will love discus more
just my 2 cents worth
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #95
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel99
sorry huh but at my point of view...discus keeping are meant to be a relaxing hobby,imagine u have to take PH and buy so many different medications,add all those different medi n confused urself,wont it makes ur life difficult...i am keeping discus myself,i did abt 90%+ water change every alternate day,no heater use,no salt use.the only thing im using is anti-chlorine....heater are only use when my discus falls sick...i always believe that fish keeping should be made as easy as possible,not troublesome,everyone after work would love to go home and admire their beautiful fishes and relax,imagine u have to be wary of this n that,isint that a torture?i also believe that alot of ppl drop the idea of keeping discus cos they find discus keeping very 'ma fan'....in fact,if u get to understand more on water condition,everything will be made very easy...go for the easier way n im sure u will love discus more
just my 2 cents worth
erm... i tot fish keeping is meant to be like that? its a hobby mah.. and its our responsibility for fish keepers to take care of fishes. and i guess happy fishes need good water.. so i think check ur pH every now and then to be safe.. imagine suddenly 1 day ur water screw up to pH 10 then later u see ur discus dying 1 by 1 sure panic mah.. i add heater as discus like warm water.. mine is at 28deg cel.. but when sick i on to 30
Old 05-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #96
Angel99

i understand wat u meant...well...individual ppl have their own way of keeping discus...normally i will observe my discus and if i ever find they behave in an abnormal way,i will check the PH too...as for the heater thingy,our discus now are mostly captive...unless we are keeping wild discus from amazon,i dont think heater is needed...dats my own opinion
Old 13-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #97
kelfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun
Hmmm got nothing to do so just post this for fun. Maybe in future got use for new members who interested in keeping discus. If u guys think that i like to show off go ahead and think, I don't care. Good Discus keepers please correct me if i'm wrong.

Guide to keeping discus.

1)Make sure u have a at least (to me) a 2.5ft tank. Remember, the bigger the better.

2)Make sure you cycle your water properly, i cycled my tank for 1month with two sponge filters. You guys can choose to use other filters but make sure you cycle your tank and also make sure that the flow rate of the water is not so powerful, as discus don't like strong currents. The filter i recommend are sponge filters. ( I'm not too sure about this, so maybe someone can help me with the cycling of water?)

3)After finishing your cycling go and do some fish shopping, the place i recommend is "Chai Discus Farm" ( www.chaidiscus.com.sg ) I bought almost all my discus from there, they provide excellent service and they also produce good quality fishes. If u have any questions you can ask them.

4)Equipments: A heater ( discus prefer warm water and they do trive better in warm waters. if u have a heater maybe you can set it to 30 degree celsius)
P.H pen ( discus prefer low ph about 6.5 to 7? Please correct me if i'm wrong. you can choose not to get this. )

After having all your equipments and stuff ready. It's time to go and shop for discus!

1) get your discus from reputable aquariums. Other aquariums may con you into buying stunted discus.

2)After getting your fish, wait for it to settle down first, then try feeding a LITTLE bit of food to it. if it eats, then the discus is already stabilzed

3) get discus in a small group, they feel more comfortable living in small groups. abt 4 to 6 in a 2.5ft tank. of course when the tank is bigger u may want to add a few more into your tank. just make sure that they don't get too cramp.

Raising juveniles

1) as i said get your discus from reputable aquariums. if u plan to get a juvenile it is essential to feed it more often or they will get stunted.

2) checking for stunted discus, you look at their size of the body, if its small eye small body, then its not stunted, but if the size of the eye is big, its stunted. ( i'm not sure abt checking for stunted discus)

Breeding discus

1) If u get a confirm pair of discus, do not be too happy, they may be a pair but not a breeding pair.
2) if u intend to breed discus make sure that u have a lot of fish tanks. not too small not too big. maybe about 2.5ft or 3ft for breeding them.
3)if u spot a pair, u may want to seperate them into another tank, preferbly about 2.5ft to 3ft. get a breeding cone and wait for them to breed.
4) If they successfully breed and the offsprings are still eggs, u may want to add some metalyn blue to prevent the discus eggs from getting fungus.
5)if the fries are hatched do not feed them, they will feed on the slim on their parents body, but when they are slightly bigger you may want to seperate them and pump them wif food. juveniles can eat brine shrimp or blood worm.

Feeding Discus

1)you may want to feed dry food for discus. that is fine. but a mixture between dry and live food are the best.
2)Brine shrimp
3) blood worm
4) beef/ pig heart

If u have any more questions you may want to post it and i'll try to help you
And again as i said PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

Regards,
HuttShun
Hi!I have just started keeping a few discus.Can you tell me where to buy pig heart for discus?

Regards,
Foo
Old 18-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #98
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelfoo
Hi!I have just started keeping a few discus.Can you tell me where to buy pig heart for discus?

Regards,
Foo
i bought mine from chai discus when i bout my blue diamonds from there. check with ur lfs whether they sell or not
Old 24-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #99
Jelutong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelfoo

Regards,
Foo
U buying pig heart or beef heart?Beef heart can try C328.
Old 20-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #100
Nahol

Default discus voodoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel99
just my 2 cents worth
I agree with u bro cos have been keeping fish for more than ten yrs.and
discus and arowana never cross my mind .One reason is the 'ma fan' factor
2nd reason maybe its costly.Ironicaly i spent hundreds of dollars during the lohan feverknowing that the fish is supposed to be very hardy.But my fishes never last more than a yr about twenty of them dead due to infection.I have one tiger barb still alive used for feeding my lohan and is ard 2yrs so which is more hardy.A few days ago a friend of my friend is giving up his discus so i wantedto give it a try so i contact Paul for the transport .When i arrived at his houseits like love at first sight after seeing 9 adult beautiful 'free' discus to be taken back.He has been keeping it for about 2 yrs just using the simple overhead pump and without heater also that open my heart to keep discus.