Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss > Pet Loss

Old 26-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #31
benedictsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
1) The death is trigger by the ammonia spike caused by her own slime coat shedding
2) Her slime coast shedding is caused by illness, by live feeders, mostly.
Thanks Luc. Could be due to combo of factors. But definitely not live feeders as I seldom feed live. Mostly market prawns. Yeap, ammonia spike by her own shedding slime possible. I did not do a post water check. I emptied tank next day.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #32
benedictsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Most family captive bred arowanas or fishes can "tahan" tap water, esp kept for 7 years. Unless u dem unlucky that day of water change.

If arowanas are to die due to wc, it will normally happens on the same day on the wc.
Luc, I agree. I've been using tap water for years. From Simei to Whampoa. Before 7 years ago, I used to have a HUGE PAIL to age the water for a week. Thereafter, several arowana sellers and owners said I overkill in effort. 25% water change will not affect the water parameter much. They too direct from tap. And they showed me their connected hose to tap.
So it was true until 7 years later a one fine day.

Well, it happens. Just got to be extra cautious in future.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
julian99

condolences. will you be starting again
Old 26-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #34
benedictsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian99 View Post
condolences. will you be starting again
It's cool down period for us now. While my heart desires to rear another RTG for practical reasons (not Feng Shui related). My family prefers a planted tank with smaller fishes which I originally started with. Family pressure quite hard to resist.

Frankly, I personally felt planted tank is more time intensive than keeping an arowana. But to the family, the occasional re-scaping of the plants brings a fresh look to the aquarium.

Tank's bare now. We'll see how it goes.
Old 26-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #35
pisces134

If I may allow to give my frank comment. I think your RTG died due to overdose of chlorine etc during the WC. You may have underdose the anti-chlorine or they have overdose the chlorine on Friday or whichever day they chose to put. Many years ago, I did the same mistake, overchanged the water by about 50% and ran out of anti-chlorine and I still live to regret losing 6 pieces of RTG that day, same pattern as yours with the body in a curve posture.....
Old 26-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
skyching5911
Dragon

very SAD to c tat... 7 years. take care.
skyching5911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #37
Strad
Dragon

felt sorry for you ...

7 years of hard work, your rtg sure felt she/he had been well taken care of this 7 years of love and shower .

had been keeping aros as well as many monster fish for quite a number of years, i usually like to full blast tap water to minimize the time taken, cos got quite a few tanks. of cos with anti-chlorine added.

not until recently my red aro had raise scales and furthermore seems like rotting after a water change. seek advise from c328 auntie, luckily manage to salvage the situation.From now onwards i switch the tap to very min to top up. (although it takes 20mins to top up)

hope you find a aro you fancy in due time.

cheers
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #38
tangmulong4488
Dragon

i think you add on additional air pump is the right step. Did you also add water conditioner when u found out that yr rtg something is not right?
tangmulong4488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #39
benedictsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisces134 View Post
If I may allow to give my frank comment. I think your RTG died due to overdose of chlorine etc during the WC. You may have underdose the anti-chlorine or they have overdose the chlorine on Friday or whichever day they chose to put. Many years ago, I did the same mistake, overchanged the water by about 50% and ran out of anti-chlorine and I still live to regret losing 6 pieces of RTG that day, same pattern as yours with the body in a curve posture.....
Sorry for your loss Pisces134. Agree with you, I'm pretty sure it's due to WC and probably the chlorine row whatever stuffs they have put into the water.
Old 27-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #40
benedictsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmulong4488 View Post
i think you add on additional air pump is the right step. Did you also add water conditioner when u found out that yr rtg something is not right?
I used anti-chlorine. Genesis. Same brand for years. While I may have done many things to salvage the situation now thinking back (interesting how post ideas always arrives, but not present. lol)

I may have been able to extract it out of tank, transmore it. Put into another larger container (Toyogo). Meanwhile clear out the tank and check the water parameters. Perform water change. But that again will mean the Toyogo box is filled with brand new tap water again. Assuming the heavy dosage of chlorine happened in the afternoon, by evening 1900h+, it's possibly diluted by then. Or it could put it through another bout of chlorine poison again.

Tags
chlorine, rtg