Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 22-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
swat1991

Nice info! Thanks bro, but can i ask about the tor sat (baby catfish), do they have live parasites as well?
Old 22-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
henryow7691
Dragon

Default size

Can we com bigger ray with smaller ray let say 15cm with 25cm diameter?
henryow7691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Zozo
Dragon

Good pointer bro uluaking. Just a point to add when cleaning up the sump. Make sure only one compartment is washed at a time to prevent the loss of all BB. Also to make sure that the "dirty" water dont get back to the main tank as the act as toxic ammonia bomb. Learnt my lesson twice with 2 of my rays killed by my silly act.
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
swat1991

Cool info bro. Thanks! I wanna ask about the feeder fish.. Will baby catfish have live parasites in it?
Old 22-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
BlackTribal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat1991 View Post
Cool info bro. Thanks! I wanna ask about the feeder fish.. Will baby catfish have live parasites in it?
Dude, all live feeders will hav the possibilty of parasites residing it them to a certain extent, tat's why best to train ur rays on mp & pellets.

For newbies on purchasing ur new ray, I would suggest keeping ur tank bared bottom meaning no sand or subtrate. Learn to practice ur WC skills and maintain gd water para first as mentioned by TS.

And pls read & understand more on ray-keeping fm the Stingray Forum in here, most of the do's/don't & wat-to-know are there for u to learn.

Lastly, IMO heater are really nt essential in SG's climate & raykeeping unless ur tank's in super freezing air cond room. I hav nvr use a heater thru-out my entire fish-keeping days even till nw. Temp for my rays' tank has been on the avg of 30 degrees, all my rays are flying, dancing & climbing like mad

Gd water keeping, correct dosage of salt input & gd diet will ensure injuries to recover quick & fast. My 2 cents

Last edited by BlackTribal; 22-11-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 22-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

thanks for the very good information. i've gotten my first pair of motoro rays for almost 1week+.

my question is how do i mp-train them? they seem disinterested in mp, but keep hunting down live feeders (mini catfishes).

also, there are quite a variety of prawns in the market, which are the types to feed rays and aros?
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
BlackTribal

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
thanks for the very good information. i've gotten my first pair of motoro rays for almost 1week+.

my question is how do i mp-train them? they seem disinterested in mp, but keep hunting down live feeders (mini catfishes).

also, there are quite a variety of prawns in the market, which are the types to feed rays and aros?
Hw big is ur rays? make sure the cut mps are smaller than the ray's mouth. Since they hunting live means they are healthy, let them finish the feeders in the tank then stop putting anymore live feeders in tank.

Pups are generally quite easier to train mp diet, however there will be some stubborn ones. Since u hav 2 rays, so as long one of them start to eat mp the other will most likely to follow suit. First 1 - 3 days they may starve a little, tat's common ... juz be patient.

Any small to medium prawns is fine, most import is fresh then portion it to a few servings (3 - 4 servings recommended) keep in fridge, the rest in freezer. Tis is assuming u feed twice a day for ur pups. I feed my rays & aros frozen tiger prawns.

Note: make sure they hav a hump on the back fm the previous last fed meal before commencing mp training. If u think rays are too skinny top & underbelly, it's best to bulk them up a little first.

Spent some time whenever free to observe them & their routine. They will aso recog the owner and know food is coming Mine will all fly up whenever I approached the tank wif food tray, even those resting on the bottom.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
uluaking

Quote:
Nice info! Thanks bro, but can i ask about the tor sat (baby catfish), do they have live parasites as well?
All live feeders have parasites infected possibility.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryow7691 View Post
Can we com bigger ray with smaller ray let say 15cm with 25cm diameter?
yes we can ...... but same breed is better and not mixture.... Black rays tends to be more aggressive in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
Good pointer bro uluaking. Just a point to add when cleaning up the sump. Make sure only one compartment is washed at a time to prevent the loss of all BB. Also to make sure that the "dirty" water dont get back to the main tank as the act as toxic ammonia bomb. Learnt my lesson twice with 2 of my rays killed by my silly act.
Great info.....what i do... i will switch off the pump ....drain out the compartment one by one..... clean the filter .... but do remember washing of Coral chip, bio house, bio home, bio home plus MUST be using the existing TANK Water and not Tap water....

Quote:
yes.... bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTribal View Post
Dude, all live feeders will hav the possibilty of parasites residing it them to a certain extent, tat's why best to train ur rays on mp & pellets.

For newbies on purchasing ur new ray, I would suggest keeping ur tank bared bottom meaning no sand or subtrate. Learn to practice ur WC skills and maintain gd water para first as mentioned by TS.

And pls read & understand more on ray-keeping fm the Stingray Forum in here, most of the do's/don't & wat-to-know are there for u to learn.

Lastly, IMO heater are really nt essential in SG's climate & raykeeping unless ur tank's in super freezing air cond room. I hav nvr use a heater thru-out my entire fish-keeping days even till nw. Temp for my rays' tank has been on the avg of 30 degrees, all my rays are flying, dancing & climbing like mad

Gd water keeping, correct dosage of salt input & gd diet will ensure injuries to recover quick & fast. My 2 cents
cool brother.... grea info to share with ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post

Great to hear that and welcome to ray keeping bro...... yes it is essential to train your rays.... From what i will do ....if the rays dont like the taste of MP, give them what they like....... when they are strong and sturdy enough starve them for a few days..... do a mixture of dead frozen GS and MP dosage feeding program..... they will convert to MP in a matter of time... be patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTribal View Post
Hw big is ur rays? make sure the cut mps are smaller than the ray's mouth. Since they hunting live means they are healthy, let them finish the feeders in the tank then stop putting anymore live feeders in tank.

Pups are generally quite easier to train mp diet, however there will be some stubborn ones. Since u hav 2 rays, so as long one of them start to eat mp the other will most likely to follow suit. First 1 - 3 days they may starve a little, tat's common ... juz be patient.

Any small to medium prawns is fine, most import is fresh then portion it to a few servings (3 - 4 servings recommended) keep in fridge, the rest in freezer. Tis is assuming u feed twice a day for ur pups. I feed my rays & aros frozen tiger prawns.

Note: make sure they hav a hump on the back fm the previous last fed meal before commencing mp training. If u think rays are too skinny top & underbelly, it's best to bulk them up a little first.

Spent some time whenever free to observe them & their routine. They will aso recog the owner and know food is coming Mine will all fly up whenever I approached the tank wif food tray, even those resting on the bottom.
Great sharing info bro .....
Old 22-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #19
ESP
Dragon

Lightbulb

1) Read stingray books written by Richard Ross.

2) PH meter is essential.

3) Tank width min 2.5" if not intend to upgrade tank in future.

4) Do not buy 2nd ray until 1st ray survive more than 9 months as base on Richard Ross's book, many 1st time ray keeper loss their 1st ray within a year.
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Nic73
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
best is use heater guard. you can DIY your self with plastic mesh. as even you stick the heater high up the wall, ray still can climb up and hurt them self..

Thanks to uluaking on the reminder on the tips.. for me.. the best is KISS method.. Keep it simple.. Do regular WC, adequate filter system, sufficient food, ample space for the ray..they will live there happily ever after.. no itchy hand do this..and that.. you'll be a happy ray keeper..
Hi bros, if I am using IOS tank, can put heater in the IOS? Any issue? I am asking this as my new tank is a custom-made IOS tank. Thank you
Nic73 is offline   Reply With Quote