Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Flowerhorn Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Closed Thread

Old 20-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Wahlen V80
see whole fish first lah

tail triangular or round

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Old 20-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Pyreness
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO LUO View Post
See from the limited picture given, which is half body and face only.........

This here we call malua .......... for my view
if go comp in indo ...they don't have malua cat .. only have KML cat n zz cat .... this be In Zz cat ,.
hahaha tats y i say post face lst mah....go 1 by 1 point by point lah.....so in yr view tis consider tis ZZ if go 4 indo comp.....interesting view
Old 20-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Pyreness
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO LUO View Post
See from the limited picture given, which is half body and face only.........

This here we call malua .......... for my view
if go comp in indo ...they don't have malua cat .. only have KML cat n zz cat .... this be In Zz cat ,.
hahaha tats y i say post face lst mah....go 1 by 1 point by point lah.....so in yr view tis consider tis ZZ if go 4 indo comp.....interesting view

no OT about competitions as we are hobbyist, not the organizers/judges

Last edited by Ong88; 20-11-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: stick to topic.
Old 20-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
Bejita
Dragon

Original Golden Monkey Pictures, taken from Tabloid Agrobis (local Indonesian newspaper)

Old 20-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Pyreness
Dragon

thanxx bro Bejita 4 the pixs!! all beri nice KML..... the pic tat i share nw oni ard 15cm.... here r sm new pixs of him....bro Bejita pls share yr view on tis pic thanxx

Last edited by Pyreness; 02-01-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 21-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
v80
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyreness View Post
no offence at all bro.....we r here 2 talk abt n learn mre
may u can post some pics n share so tat we can cmpare....thanxx
Hi Bro, here r some pics..from other website..

Sorry to the pics owner for using yr pics without yr permission..Just for sharing purposes only..pls do not comment on the pics.cos its not mine..

Old 21-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #17
v80
Endangered Dragon

Bro louis n fh lovers, somemore pics..

Old 21-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
Bejita
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by v80 View Post
Hi Bro, here r some pics..from other website..

Sorry to the pics owner for using yr pics without yr permission..Just for sharing purposes only..pls do not comment on the pics.cos its not mine..

These are very good examples on how the gill plate, color, pearl, jaw, kok shape, chubby chin, eyes, body shape, penduncle and tail of the original kamalau should look like.
However these two fishes in this example are GM Mix not original kamalau, that is why only a few of this breed which have 75% or more of kamalau characteristics can compete in kamalau cat in Indo competition.
Most of them takes time in order to show 75% or more of kamalau characteristics, that is why some of them were competing under ZZ cat when they were small and then compete under kamalau cat when they are bigger after they manage to show 75% or more of their kamalau characteristics.
Old 21-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
reddi
Senior Dragon

Default My approach to KML

juz to share my own personal view on this kml thingy. i do not mean to offend any owners, past or present of this strain of flowerhorn, the wonderful breeders that gave us this fish or anyone associated with this fish. it is juz my simple and idiotic approach to this kml.

doc, if you think this is offensive then pls delete this and you have my apologies.

we all know it was originally bred in Ipoh and that is why it is call the KML, abbreviation for kamalau which is the Cantonese dialet (predominant dialet in Ipoh) for golden monkey. if it was bred in Malacca it would have been known as KLK for kim lau kow, too bad Malacca will always be known for chicken ball rice only.

so what's the big deal about this kml ? at the time when the market was partically full of zz, mr.lam created this strain that was different from all the rest. it had yellow tone compared to all the pinkish/reddish zz and the fish had better body shape, finnages and the face did resemble the monkey. and in chinese culture, both yellow which translate to gold and monkey (thanks to the monkey god) are good omen. so the fish became highly sought after and everyone wanted one or even two and then every lfs was selling "them". typical human scenario, everybody wants to have the one better than the rest and this created the opportunity to make money for some.

so what is the kml actually ? to me, it represented the best fish there was at that time. but when the original breeding pair died and many tried to reproduce the same line and then all this debate about what is and what is not the true kml started. again to me, it is what is considered the best fish at the moment. true, there ought to be same general characteristics of the fish for it to be at least considered a kml or not, again to me, there must be this yellow/gold tone otherwise there is no "kam" in the malau and the dominant monkey face, otherwise i personally do not consider it KML.

let's look at past winners of the kml.

for the live of me, i cant really see the true genetics/physical characteristics that ties all this 3 fishes as one strain i.e. the KML. they all look different to me. well some expert may disagree and say that i am an idiot. so be it.

to me, there is no real true characteristic of the KML, and that is why up to now, we can argue till the cows come home but we can never come to a conclusion what a true KML look like.

remember i said it is the best fish at the time. looking at the earlier 2 past winners, they may have been the best at their time, but honestly i feel there are so many nicer fishes at present even though this present fishes are not classifed as KML now.

as time progress, the fh has also progress and as humans, we always strive to improve on things and the so called KML has also improved. compare the first KML to the last KML pics, dont you think that the later one is a very much nicer fish in most if not all aspect. they are all considered KML and to me, it is because they represent the best at their time. and the fh scene in each country is different, so if that particular fish is considered the best in that country and they want to call it KML, so be it, i got no problem with that.

so how to see if a fish is a KML now ? to me, if i see a fish which i feel is almost perfect and one that so nice (one that you know is a particular individual fish) and not one from a batch of similar fishes, one that leaves me taking a deep breath and then letting out a sigh slowly, to me that fish is a KML. then again, i may be an idiot. so be it.

i dont really care about all this classification of the fh breed/strains. i only see the fish for what the fish is individually, whether it is nice or not base on my own liking. the only important name is the pet name i give to the fish cos it establish the tie between the fish and me.

Last edited by Ong88; 30-11-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 21-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
Pyreness
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejita View Post
These are very good examples on how the gill plate, color, pearl, jaw, kok shape, chubby chin, eyes, body shape, penduncle and tail of the original kamalau should look like.
However these two fishes in this example are GM Mix not original kamalau, that is why only a few of this breed which have 75% or more of kamalau characteristics can compete in kamalau cat in Indo competition.
Most of them takes time in order to show 75% or more of kamalau characteristics, that is why some of them were competing under ZZ cat when they were small and then compete under kamalau cat when they are bigger after they manage to show 75% or more of their kamalau characteristics.
...as there are less n less of original KML around breeder who are trying to breed something that will be close to a KML will need time and effort and know their breeding line well.....when small its hard to define all the characteristics in a small fish IMO its good that they put them under the ZZ cat its show that they really protect the name KML...if not any fish aso wants to cat under KML leow....bro bejita from your experice around what size then will the characteristics of a young KML start to show? Like 6' onwards??
Closed Thread