Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 17-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
finclk
Dragon

i'm wondering what if u dun want to shoot fishes with any flash.. just normal tank light? What kind of camera to use? It definitely has to be very high end. Able to jack up the ISO very high but yet keep noise level low.

Dun need to recommend Canon 1D Mark2 those kind.. i think need min 2k budget?
finclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #22
fotoudavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter G View Post
Hi, I am thinking of buying my first digital SLR for the purpose of taking pictures of my fishes.
Lets say I have a budget of about $1,500 +/-
What would be the recommended model to buy?

I am thinking the best brands would be either Canon or Nikon right?

Please provide some recomendations.
Thank you.
By the way, if only want to take good pictures of fish, u need skills and experience more then good cameras. Get a second hand for s start, ur hobby of taking fish pictures may dei off quickly.

Or simply upzz ur budget to $2k, so that u can buy a flash unit.

And also, u need to factor in that u can use for normal scenarios.
Old 24-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
angelo
Senior Dragon

Use the P&S camera. Invest on continuous light kit that will be much lesser than $1500.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
tripleJ

Hi,

You can visit the buy/sell section in www.clubsnap.com

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #25
koipt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter G View Post
Hi, I am thinking of buying my first digital SLR for the purpose of taking pictures of my fishes.
Lets say I have a budget of about $1,500 +/-
What would be the recommended model to buy?

I am thinking the best brands would be either Canon or Nikon right?

Please provide some recomendations.
Thank you.
if u hvnt got the dslr. can look at the recently launched canon 7D.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #26
hastydiver
Arofanatic

Nikon D5000 Kits or D3000 Kits
hastydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #27
Canon Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finclk View Post
i'm wondering what if u dun want to shoot fishes with any flash.. just normal tank light? What kind of camera to use? It definitely has to be very high end. Able to jack up the ISO very high but yet keep noise level low.

I'm Canon ID Mark I user. Dun think jack ISO high high is good. The high noise level makes me rejects all photos taken. I still prefer use low ISO to take photo. Below photo taken by my lowest ISO setting.

Do take "amiidae" advice. U need flash for good photo. Else invest in good lens with aperture 1.0 or 1.2 That would cost U even more. Another alternative is to up your fish tank lighting to super bright.

cheers,
Canon
Old 16-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #28
Dkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by finclk View Post

If not using flash, your tank lighting must be sufficient to provide enough lights for the photo shoot.

I personally do not like use flash for fish photography. Flash will take away the natural color of the fish if the angle is not right. Furthermore you may need more than one flash to get the right lighting to lit up the subject.

The photo I shared below is taken w/o flash with my Canon 500D mounted with a 18~55mm kit lens. The tank light used is a 4 tube 56W T5 and a 4ft Nan light. I have the ISO set at 1600.

Old 16-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
KickStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkat View Post
If not using flash, your tank lighting must be sufficient to provide enough lights for the photo shoot.

I personally do not like use flash for fish photography. Flash will take away the natural color of the fish if the angle is not right. Furthermore you may need more than one flash to get the right lighting to lit up the subject.

The photo I shared below is taken w/o flash with my Canon 500D mounted with a 18~55mm kit lens. The tank light used is a 4 tube 56W T5 and a 4ft Nan light. I have the ISO set at 1600.
nice! i agree that flash sometimes kill the embience...but masters out there used it to near perfection i find it extremely hard to shoot aro...well done bro
Old 17-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #30
Dkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickStart View Post
...but masters out there used it to near perfection
Thanks. but if you look closely, the masters out there dun leave their flash in naked mode and fires away full blast.

They put on clothing on their flashes ~ diffuser to soften the lighting to make light as natural as possible. they may also set flash to manual mode and fires at half or 3/4 the flash capacity. Some of the diffuser may be DIY type. The position of flashes are also important.