Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
JapRanchu

Wow, 6-8 meals per day somemore on pellets only...

Got to be fish from good bloodlines? Otherwise the risk of sbp is high in my humble opinion. And the w/c regime must be closely followed if anything.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
Feeding 6-8 meals p/d in 5-10mins is a lot especially if you are using auto feeder because they dispose fixed amount of food. Your avatar ranchu is very stunning. Did you raise it outdoors all the time?
Hi UnSun,

Yes, you are sharp. Currently it in outdoor 8ft tub.
This pc I used different tank size to groom at different stage to achieve the mass/ size.
At this size, I had transferred it back to my 5ft tank before but the fish behavior looks bored. Feeding still maintain but not swimming around much. Once I put it back into a big enviroment, it feel more comfortable and roam around.

But this is the only GF that hit pass the 8" mark. Most only between 6"-7.5"
I am just lucky to have got this fast growing GF and keeping it alive. Hope I can bring out it full form.
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapRanchu View Post
Wow, 6-8 meals per day somemore on pellets only...

Got to be fish from good bloodlines? Otherwise the risk of sbp is high in my humble opinion. And the w/c regime must be closely followed if anything.

Hi JapRanchu,

The breeder is from Thailand, got it at Sumo Ranchu. It just lucky that this pc grow fast and evenly. The same batch offpspring not as big.
It happen to me many times. Buy 2-3 pc from the same batch, one of them will out grow the rest given the same environment/ food/ condition/ etc.

My W/C regime is every alternate day or max every 2 days 50% w/c. Example Monday change water, either Wed or latest Thursday will change 50%. Daily also suck out the poos and top up water. Very siong......

I also employ periodic de-worming of my GF even tho I don't feed live food anymore. This is up-keep the internal of GF. Something I learn from experience because of the heavy feeding regime.

But in overall, this is what I do. It applied to me but may not for others. They are many ways to groom a GF. Above are just some of my sharings

Cheers
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
UnSun

Thanks for sharing your secrets. And one more question, do you use filters?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
mediacraze
Dragon

Yes, UnSun.

Using OHF system
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
Yes, UnSun.

Using OHF system
Very impressive Ranchu indeed.

Meaning your OHF is on your 8ft tub?
Cannot imagine WC 50% 8ft tub every 2 days. Si beh shiong ah.
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Very impressive Ranchu indeed.

Meaning your OHF is on your 8ft tub?
Cannot imagine WC 50% 8ft tub every 2 days. Si beh shiong ah.
50% Wc for my 5ft tank and 4 ft tub. 8ft by dripping system, daily 10% WC running OHF tower
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
50% Wc for my 5ft tank and 4 ft tub. 8ft by dripping system, daily 10% WC running OHF tower
Thanks for sharing, w/cs on big tanks/tubs are indeed si beh shiong (back breaking) that's why I opt for using GW every now and then.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
JapRanchu

Fwah...your PUB bill must be sibeh xiong as well

Agree...there are many ways to groom your fish and there's never a single method that fits all. I think the bottomline is fish inherits good genes and owner puts in his blood and sweat + $$$ (good food) to take care of his lot.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
JapRanchu

My very own shallow experience from over-feeding...

I used to have about 10 TVRs and 4 SVRs in my pond with a customised 3 chambers bacteria house filter with UV at the last chamber.

The depth of my pond was about 1.5 ft with the filter outlet channelling into a small little rock waterfall. I was using Laguna power pump that was running 24/7. Understand that these conditions may not be ideal for bbrs but luckily their tail set wasn't affected by the waterflow.

Anywayz...I was feeding them 6 meals a day with mixture of Hikari Spirulina, Hikari Lionhead, Hikari Oranda Gold, Hikari Freeze dried BW and Hikari FBW.

Because of the number of fish and their incessious appetide, I used to empty the entire pellet of FBW (24 cubes??) into the pond and they finished up everything within minutes. Did 80% wc once every weekend.

As days go by, my ranchus began to have stringy white poo and slowly...their gills began to swell and blood-like clot was found on the inside of some of their gills. And some float to gasp for air.

Luckily all were salvaged but that taught me a harsh lesson on careful feeding and wc regime