Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 24-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
"superkino"

Default What make GF color run?

My first few fishes were (cheap) gold fishes. They looked red when I purchased them, but after keeping for a while, they looked orange. What had gone wrong? Thinking of keeping GF again, hope bros/sis here can give some advice on maintaining the color.
Old 24-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
kyo_k81
Dragon

Beyond health,genetics & good water quality, diet plays a major role in the color of your fish.

If the fish had colour and lost it,it could either be poor water,health or food.Genetics don't mean anything as the fish already had colour, it wasn't slow in developing.If it's a case of poor genetics, then an improved diet won't make it a show fish either.

Diet & water quality are the two easiect things to alter, or improve upon.

Assuming the fish is healthy, the water parameters are appropriate for the fish, then I'd bet that it's the quality of the food

The use of carotenoids as pigments in aquaculture species is well documented, and it's common knowledge that fish cannot synthesize carotenoids.

Colours in the yellow/orange/red spectrum are determined by the food the fish eats, they're not structural colours as blues often (but not always) are. So if your yellow/orange/red fish loses colour, it's probably due to a poor diet, thus they must be supplied in their diet.

The reality is, diet may in fact be playing a key role in why this fish is now losing its color and this fact shouldn't be ignore.

I would recommend New Life Spectrum which is a balanced diet that boosts immune system function and enhances the full spectrum of your fish’s color.

NLS Discussion:
http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15634

If a person do not care about the health of their fish, hormone is the only way to go.
Hope that help.

Last edited by kyo_k81; 24-05-2005 at 10:19 PM.
kyo_k81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
dragonhart
Dragon

Default hikari spirulina

hi,

u can feed your gold fishes "hikari spirulina"(for koi actually).i guarantee to work.

btw i hope u dun downgrade to those fancy goldfishes(ranchu, etc) as they are actually deformed/mutated goldfishes. All goldfish belongs to the same species the fancy varieties are just different degree of genetic deformations. just keep the common goldfishes being sold as feeders. in this way, u save them fr imminent death and save lots of money too.

btw, i got a few 1.5 inch common goldfishes to give away. pm me if u want to adopt them. they are perfect: no missing dorsal fin, bulky headgrowth, protruding eyes, non-streamline body, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkino
My first few fishes were (cheap) gold fishes. They looked red when I purchased them, but after keeping for a while, they looked orange. What had gone wrong? Thinking of keeping GF again, hope bros/sis here can give some advice on maintaining the color.
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
kyo_k81
Dragon

all fish require a food that contains a variety of high quality ingredients, in order to thrive.

Hikari ® Spirulina

white fish meal, wheat flour, wheat-germ meal, brewer's dried yeast, soybean meal, spirulina, dehydrated alfalfa meal, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin K3, vitamin B12, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), magnesium carbonate, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 35% Min.

Crude Fat 3% Min.

Crude Fiber 5% Max.

Moisture 10% Max.

Ash 12% Max

Ash comes from bone & shell, the percentage of ash above 10% usually indicates left over white fish, shrimp or loster heads are used. On the other hand if the ash contain is extremely low and the first 3 ingredients are not listed as fish meal or krill, then most likely the main protein source is derived from soybean.

New Life Spectrum contains:

Krill,Herring, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, DL Alpha to (E), L-Ascorbyl-2-Poliphosphate (C), Choline, Chloride Cobalt, Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Ethoxyquin (Ant-Oxidant) Added Mineral no more than 2.5 %

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: (Minimum) 34 %
Fat: (Maximum) 5 %
Ash: (Maximum) 9 %
Moisture: (Maximum) 10 %
Fiber: (Maximum) 5 %
Vitamin A: (minimum) 8000 IU/KG
Vitamin D: (Minimum) 450 IU/KG
Vitamin E: (Minimum) 200 IU/KG

NLS uses 300 mg/kg amount of vitamin C to allow for shrinkage over time compares to other commercial feed which uses 200 mg/kg
http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

grains in fish food are starches and binders.

I'm sure you know many manufacturers use a high percenatge of wheat flour as a binding agent

Hikari uses wheat as a binder. Their Hikari® Spirulina has 4 grains in the top 5 ingredients.

Hikari® Spirulina:

white fish meal, wheat flour, wheat-germ meal, brewer's dried yeast, soybean meal, ......

New Life Spectrum has only 1.

Krill , Herring, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, ......

Remember Poor protein digestibility could be due to low quality protein found in the raw ingredients (such as white fish meal and/or shrimp meal) or an excessive amount of grains. (usually used as cheap fillers)

excessive amount of grains (Wheat Germs,etc. ) is not a good source of food.

NLS contains a huge amount algae meal, which consists of kelp, seaweed, and haematococcus pluvialis (a micro-algae) as well as spirulina.
http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

There are more "greens" in this food than many of the so called "spirulina foods" on the market

Haematococcus pluvialis algae is believed to contain the richest amount of the ingredient astaxanthin. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment found in a number of aquatic animals responsible for:

Enhanced coloring
Improved protection against oxidation and photo-oxidation
Reproduction and development
Immune response
Resistance to disease
Reproductive behaviour
Communication.

Here are the links that talks about Haematococcus pluvialis algae

Haematococcus pluvialis algae
http://www.astafactor.com/algae.htm

A Technical Review of Haematococcus Algae
http://www.cyanotech.com/pdfs/axbul60.pdf

here's a reason why no one except NLS uses Krill meal as their main ingredient, just follow the $$$ and you'll figure it out.

Krill meal = very expensive
Herring meal = expensive

white fish meal = much cheaper
shrimp meal = very cheap

Ash content between 8 - 10 %, Fat 5% - 7% and Fiber less than 5% and Moisture 10% and below is what you can expect from a good fish

Last edited by kyo_k81; 26-05-2005 at 02:40 PM.
kyo_k81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
dito199

lighting plays a good part of the colorization. Once I shifted my gfs from tank with 55W PL to a tub near window with minimal day light for several weeks. The day I shifted gfs back into tank, I can tell the color was faded quite badly. But few days later all gfs regain their color after good tan from the PL.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
TKS1970
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dito199
lighting plays a good part of the colorization. Once I shifted my gfs from tank with 55W PL to a tub near window with minimal day light for several weeks. The day I shifted gfs back into tank, I can tell the color was faded quite badly. But few days later all gfs regain their color after good tan from the PL.
May I know how many hrs u tan ur GF per day? Thanks.
TKS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote