Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 01-02-2005, 01:12 AM   #71
roidan

you are right by saying that there is probably no 100% removal of everything...but when there are reefers who have testkit undetectable nitrates and some with testkit detectable nitrates, you know that this resolution of undetectable nitrates can be achieved without significant adjustments to the denitrifying portion of the system.

As the skimmer removes more waste, less work is passed down to the biological system. If there are significant nitrates in the system, this just goes to mean that the skimmer's capacity has been maxed and the rest is passed down to the biological system and results in the nitrates problems.

The higher the amount of crude waste removal, the less work is handed down and less nitrates eventually. And increasing the capacity of the skimmer will increase the amount of crude waste removal if the current capacity has already been maxed and the system still has significant nitrates. You will find that you can increase the skimming aggressiveness till you get low to undetectable nitrates.

Some reefers are able to achieve undetectable nitrate levels just by aggressive skimming and you don't see these reefers running denitrators around because nitrates aren't around significantly eventually

An example is myself:

I used both AquaC Ev240 and H&S 150-F2001 together in my system previously, by themselves alone they are already rated for systems larger than mine. But due to my stocking levels, i got around 10ppm eventually and i wanted much lower levels. In this case I was already grossly overskimming by virtue of manufacturers' ratings and yet i was still facing 10ppm which to me is a nitrate problem. I was actually still underskimming in my context. (get the part about manufacturers' ratings now? personally i have already reached the stage where i treat ratings as a pinch of salt until tried and tested in my context of application )

So I decided to step into the beckett skimmer and viola....back to 0.X levels to undetectable. And I am not saying it is due to the virtue of beckett alone. If i am using the biggy aquamedic skimmer or the deltec multineedlewheel skimmers like AP1003/4/6 i will get to this stage also.

And this is only pushing in a dual beckett usage and i already get undetectable to 0.X levels. So if i fire up the other 2 becketts for a full quad beckett operation, it will be what i call chronic overskimming in my personal context. But it always good to know that there are still 2 injectors waiting for emergency deployment should anything happen.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:55 AM   #72
roidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
For eg my 6'x2'x2' tank (680L) is skimmed by a Deltec MCE600 which is suitable for 700 litres for normal stocking and only 450 litres for heavy stocking.

So is my skimmer overskimming or not?
Yes, manufacturer's guide states that 700litres for normal stocking and 450litres for heavy stocking, but like i said this is a just a rough guide. Because eventually it comes back to your end results after using this skimmer.

If after using this skimmer, you still face significant nitrates that you want to remove by denitrator and other means, obviously this skimmer is underskimming in your context of application. You need a bigger rated deltec one to reduce the eventual nitrates should u want to move within the deltec range. (which is why, so what if the rating is 1000gallons for this skimmer and u are only using it for a 200gallon tank, as long as you have residual nutrient problem, you will need a bigger rating skimmer)

If after using this skimmer and you face just the right amount of residual nitrates that you are pleased about, then your skimmer is not overskimming and just right for what you want the nutrient level to be. Some are please with 10ppm, some at 20ppm, some at 0ppm.........

If after using this skimmer and you face nitrate levels that are too low for your liking, then you have reached overskimming in your personal context of application.

So only the user himself knows if he is underskimming/overskimming in his personal context by observing the end results and not just by comparing the disparity in terms of the skimmer rating and his tank.