Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 01-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #41
losmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
yes...cos your things are most probably oversized and capable of withstanding any mishaps...but what if u are that boh chup and your equipments are rated just nicely and something goes wrong??

maybe i didnt phrase what i said properly
No worries, if you be the king of the tank and observe your tank properly + do proper maintainence then mishap can be prevented from happening. With the SECRET method in maintaining water quality then nothing will go wrong.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #42
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
yes...cos your things are most probably oversized and capable of withstanding any mishaps...but what if u are that boh chup and your equipments are rated just nicely and something goes wrong??

maybe i didnt phrase what i said properly
you are playing with fire then
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #43
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by losmandy
No worries, if you be the king of the tank and observe your tank properly + do proper maintainence then mishap can be prevented from happening. With the SECRET method in maintaining water quality then nothing will go wrong.
you may feel that doing those is being the king of the tank...but have you wondered...u can observe cumulative mishaps and prevent them....but even with those...can u prevent sudden mishaps like as stated snail clam or even coral spawning without oversized equipments to help?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #44
nim75sg

I am aware that most European Skimmers (Deltec, AquaMedic, GroTech, Bubble King, etc) are under-rated and they can easily cope with the 50% extra-load.

In any case if a fish dies other than old age or sickness then your skimmer is able to handle the extra contaminants provided that you're not using a skimmer meant for a 2ft to skim a 4ft tank.

Also, your tank should not crash if you're having a strict regiment of tank maintenance checks.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #45
losmandy

Quote:
you may feel that doing those is being the king of the tank...but have you wondered...u can observe cumulative mishaps and prevent them....but even with those...can u prevent sudden mishaps like as stated snail clam or even coral spawning without oversized equipments to help?
I agree with you, that is why I am with oversized equipments :P
Old 01-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #46
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
I am aware that most European Skimmers (Deltec, AquaMedic, GroTech, Bubble King, etc) are under-rated and they can easily cope with the 50% extra-load.

In any case if a fish dies other than old age or sickness then your skimmer is able to handle the extra contaminants provided that you're not using a skimmer meant for a 2ft to skim a 4ft tank.

Also, your tank should not crash if you're having a strict regiment of tank maintenance checks.
under rated is also a good thing...at least u have a something to save you without your knowing...

bro ken....
the point i am trying to bring is not cumulative mishaps like high nitrates or phosphate or things like that....those i agree can be detected and solved....but what i am trying to bring out is sudden mishaps like snail spawing, clam spawning and even coral spawning....corals spawn at night and if they do so will you be there to save your tank....even if u are....what can u do to save your tank....your tank bioload would increase by not 2x but maybe 4x or 5x....then without and oversized skimmer...how are u going to save your tank?

full water change?
a good example can be found from the other forum....water change and clams spawn...without oversized skimmer...how can u save your tank...even his skimmer cannot save his tank
Old 01-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #47
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Not necessary so. I can be in total control but I do not have to be a slave to them. Those that have seen my setup will know that I'm simply boh chup yet things are still healthy.
Well said ....... I chup a bit by testing water parameters only and making sure that there is sufficient water in my top-up reservoir.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #48
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
you are playing with fire then
yup...thats why the need for oversized equipments...

i think i better stop before everyone starts hating me
Old 01-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #49
losmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg

In this case do you think you are overskimming as your skimmer is over-rated? You just agree with me that having extra skimmer capacity is good when there is a sudden mishap. This is added safety buffer.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #50
nim75sg

Quote:
under rated is also a good thing...at least u have a something to save you without your knowing...

bro ken....
the point i am trying to bring is not cumulative mishaps like high nitrates or phosphate or things like that....those i agree can be detected and solved....but what i am trying to bring out is sudden mishaps like snail spawing, clam spawning and even coral spawning....corals spawn at night and if they do so will you be there to save your tank....even if u are....what can u do to save your tank....your tank bioload would increase by not 2x but maybe 4x or 5x....then without and oversized skimmer...how are u going to save your tank?

full water change?
a good example can be found from the other forum....water change and clams spawn...without oversized skimmer...how can u save your tank...even his skimmer cannot save his tank
But I don't have snails or clams in my tank .. I hate them.