Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 31-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #31
spsman

Default that's smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidan
Thanks for the reminder, but I can't bring myself to vote because there is quite a disparity between local products depending on who makes them

So i cannot say i wholeheartedly support local products or i wholeheartedly shun them.

Given a choice, I would vote, I will support local products selectively, very selectively
staying politically correct. thks for reply bro.
Old 31-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #32
losmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsman
but the question here is about the need to oversize a skimmer and the removal of trace elements due to over-skimming. which u have not answered yet.
The question here is the added safety with an oversized skimmer. We've already quoted examples of tank being crashed because of some unexpected events like snails spawning, clams spawning which cause a sudden spike that leads to a chain of events. This is not acceptable to you?

You can easily said that these can be predicted and prevented by easy observation of your tank. That is provided you have time to sit in front of your tank all the time.

How many reefers can do that?

The lost of certain trace elements due to overskimming can be reversed by water changes. As long as you run a skimmer in your tank then you already lost trace elements.
Old 31-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #33
nim75sg

Quote:
It is easy for one to say that "with proper planning, water changes can be made easily.' how many tanks do u own btw, may i ask? if its possible, could u post a a group photo of your current tanks/ tank? Dun be mistaken, but i dunno anyone who is willing to change water for all 9-10 tanks. btw, there is another secret to maintaining water parameters which probably u are unaware of yet. u can ask if me if u want to know..

water changing is your personal regiment. but the question here is about the need to oversize a skimmer and the removal of trace elements due to over-skimming. which u have not answered yet. Whether u keep AT or damsels, it does not matter at all. It does not even matter if u manage to keep a shark.

i do appreciate the response tho, cheers.
Definitely he is most probably unaware of the technique of replacing trace elements without the need to change water or dosing liquid trace elements
Old 31-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #34
losmandy

Quote:
i think u dun understand the topic, we were discusing abt the oversizing of chillers. the example was to tell u that u dun need exageration to do a simple job.
driving a ferari at 80km/h is under utilising a quality machine. if u really understand the dynamics of the ferrari engine, u will know that u cannot do that for a long time. the engine will be ruined.
I agree with you that driving a ferrari at 80km/h is under utilising a quality machine but could you explain more on the ferrari engine? You could enlighten me and share your knowledge.
Old 31-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #35
decentkid

bro spsman...
if you do not have an oversized skimmer...then lets presume that your skimmer is working at its maximum...all of a sudden due to the death of a fish or snails and clams spawning or what so ever reason...how can your skimmer remove the DOCs if it is already working at its maximum???

signs of tank crash can be seen in advance is true....but why is your tank crashing? most probably due to the large collection of organic materials...and maybe i ask why is there so much organic materials left if your skimmer is efficient enough?

then if u say that tank crahes are due to cumulative periods of negligence...then like that we should not use skimmers or phosphate removers....cos if so we will be neglecting...all we are doing is sitting back and relax...once in a while just change media...thats all....and if indeed we are using these stuff and of appropriate amounts....how can there be any factors to cause our tank to crash...cos from what u said...being able to see the signs...these tank crashing factors are something that is cumulative and not something that occur suddenly...

so have you also thought of something that occurs suddenly that can cause a tank crash...where will your safety net be???
what if you tank is really that good and u are that pro that even your corals start spawning also...then how? the corals are suiciding and if u dont have a skimmer capable of removing much more waste then as usual....then the cumulation of DOCs will become a problem...

and if u are using the ferari as an example...will under utilisation of the bubbles spoil the skimmer?
Old 31-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #36
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Here's my view on oversizing.

E.g HDB

HDB will always overdesign their housing blks to withstand weight load many times its normal usage. If HDB only build according to what is normally needed, what happened if some freak decided to build a 8x3x3 tank?

Again .. if way overdesigned, the costs will be many times higher and yet still serve the same purpose. The key is to have a safety factor of 2-3, ratings that is at least 2-3 times the bioload to allow more buffer.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #37
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Off topic ....

Changing Water?

This is the History liao for all my corridor of tanks which includes both freshwater and saltwater tanks as I am not a slave to them.

You should be the Lord of the Tanks (like yours truly) by having more time admiring your setup after a hard day's work instead of doing periodic partial water changes.

Fyi, my matured 6ft marine tank (outside the house where it is bombarded with our weather conditions) has not been gone thru any partial water changes except topping-up water due to evaporation loss.

If you manage the water well .. the fishes will take care of themselves!
Well say,Bro nim75sg.
We should be the Lord of the Tanks n not a slave to them

Regards
Old 31-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #38
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Well say,Bro nim75sg.
We should be the Lord of the Tanks n not a slave to them

Regards
if you wanna be the lord of your tanks...wont you be neglecting them in another words...so wont it contradict spsman words?
Old 31-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #39
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
if you wanna be the lord of your tanks...wont you be neglecting them in another words...so wont it contradict spsman words?
Not necessary so. I can be in total control but I do not have to be a slave to them. Those that have seen my setup will know that I'm simply boh chup yet things are still healthy.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #40
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Not necessary so. I can be in total control but I do not have to be a slave to them. Those that have seen my setup will know that I'm simply boh chup yet things are still healthy.
yes...cos your things are most probably oversized and capable of withstanding any mishaps...but what if u are that boh chup and your equipments are rated just nicely and something goes wrong??

maybe i didnt phrase what i said properly