Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Scary
Arofanatic

Default Ray died of Constipation?

One of my Sakura died this morning. It was very active until 3 days ago. The ray was listless and not eating. Occasionally, it was seen behaving like it was trying hard to poo. I noticed that the anus was swollen and there was some black colour stuff stuck at the anus. The back of the disc started to curl up last night and the rest was history this morning........ I disected the fish up (along the anus) and discovered that the end of the organ (suspect is the intestine) leading to the anus is stuck with some black and "cripy stuff" - not sure whether it was the left over of fishes bone/remains.

Please note that the WP is ok.

The questions are:

Can ray died of constipation? If not, Can they died of indigestion?If both are not possible, what can be the likely cause based on the what I had decribed.

Thanks
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Aro1
Dragon

Can tell us more about the tank, tankmate, diet and amount of feeding?
Aro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
uni
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
One of my Sakura died this morning. It was very active until 3 days ago. The ray was listless and not eating. Occasionally, it was seen behaving like it was trying hard to poo. I noticed that the anus was swollen and there was some black colour stuff stuck at the anus. The back of the disc started to curl up last night and the rest was history this morning........ I disected the fish up (along the anus) and discovered that the end of the organ (suspect is the intestine) leading to the anus is stuck with some black and "cripy stuff" - not sure whether it was the left over of fishes bone/remains.

Please note that the WP is ok.

The questions are:

Can ray died of constipation? If not, Can they died of indigestion?If both are not possible, what can be the likely cause based on the what I had decribed.

Thanks
Hello last time i have same problem.It because i put salt in my tank after a few day my ray died with the annus had a big hole and the organ came out from the anus.I can said sakura can died out of sudden.I have a sakura 9" very active swam around but 1 hour lateiy he died
uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Scary
Arofanatic

The ray is about 8 inches. Tank size 4 feet. One female 8 inches Sakura as tankmate. Diet: Tosat, shrimp , small goldfihes and red mollies. (during that period only small fishes, red mollies and shrimp in tank).
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Scary
Arofanatic

BTW, I don't control the feeding as both the rays eat like pig.I just put all the feeders into the tank and let them eat as much as possible.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Aro1
Dragon

how long have you had your sakuras?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
Scary
Arofanatic

About two weeks for the one that died.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
T1KARMANN

if the ray was a fresh import it may have been trying to crap out a hook that was stuck in its gut
Old 19-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
goodbargain

interesting
goodbargain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Aro1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
About two weeks for the one that died.
Bro, two weeks for new ray is not long. Could your new ray be wild caught?