Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 27-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
therat
Arofanatic

Today my paper still reprint what from strait time.

The wrong statement.

Sigh
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
CONDOLENCE LETTER FROM PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON DEMISE OF JB JEYARETNAM
30 September 2008

Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam
Mr Philip Jeyaretnam

Dear Kenneth and Philip Jeyaretnam

I was sad to learn that your father, Mr Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam, has passed away. Mr JB Jeyaretnam was a Member of Parliament for Anson constituency from 1981 till 1986, and a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament from 1997 till 2001. He used to engage in heated debates in the House. Perhaps it was because he and the PAP never saw eye to eye on any major political issue and he sought by all means to demolish the PAP and our system of government. Unfortunately, this helped neither to build up a constructive opposition nor our Parliamentary tradition. Nevertheless, one had to respect Mr JB Jeyaretnam’s dogged tenacity to be active in politics at his age.

However, our differences were not personal. In 1993, one of you (Kenneth) wrote to Mr Goh Chok Tong, who was then Prime Minister, to say that you found employers in Singapore reluctant to offer you a job, and your only explanation was that the employers felt the authorities would not welcome your employment because of your name. Mr Goh replied with a letter which could be shown to prospective employers, to say that the government did not hold anything against you, and that employers should evaluate you fairly on your own merits, like any other candidate, because Singapore needed every talented person that it could find. Mr Goh had previously made the same point to your brother Philip, whom he had invited to lunch. I am therefore happy that both of you have established yourselves in Singapore.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Yours sincerely
Lee Hsien Loong
Thanks bro for this reminder of LHL's insensitivity towards the family of JBJ. It would have been magnanimous on LHL's part not to mention politics and the friction between JBJ and the PAP over the dead body of JBJ.

Kenneth Jeyaratnam can now do the same but I doubt he will go so low as LHL.

I will get back to why and how it all started later after this is all over as now is not the right time.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
Aris
Arofanatic

The media and PAP's hype during LKY's wake is really sickening. There will be those who may dislike PAP or the government but that does not mean they cannot like or respect LKY or be grateful for his contribution to Singapore.

Everyday news and repeated broadcast make this into a circus. What with MP's going round thanking the people for paying their respect to LKY as though LKY belongs to them and not to all Singaporeans. Bloody MSM por lampar up to the limit including stupid statements by some MPs and Ministers all scrambling over each other to upstage their colleagues as to who loves and appreciate LKY more.

Why can't Singaporeans all mourn his death without making this into a circus for PAP? They even showed Khaw Boon Wan crying his eyes out extolling the virtues of LKY as though Singaporeans does not know who is LKY? F**k all these idiots.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
Guppies Onli
Dragon

I believed some suffered peer's pressure like my wife. Yesterday my wife said her colleagues keep asking her to join them at Padang to pay respect to lky. I told her CNA reported 7hrs queue as of 5pm and advised not to join the queue. I understand it's difficult for her to say an outright no to them, but please not everyone can tahan standing so many hours in the queue as we are not young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
The media and PAP's hype during LKY's wake is really sickening. There will be those who may dislike PAP or the government but that does not mean they cannot like or respect LKY or be grateful for his contribution to Singapore.

Everyday news and repeated broadcast make this into a circus. What with MP's going round thanking the people for paying their respect to LKY as though LKY belongs to them and not to all Singaporeans. Bloody MSM por lampar up to the limit including stupid statements by some MPs and Ministers all scrambling over each other to upstage their colleagues as to who loves and appreciate LKY more.

Why can't Singaporeans all mourn his death without making this into a circus for PAP? They even showed Khaw Boon Wan crying his eyes out extolling the virtues of LKY as though Singaporeans does not know who is LKY? F**k all these idiots.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #15
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
Thanks bro for this reminder of LHL's insensitivity towards the family of JBJ. It would have been magnanimous on LHL's part not to mention politics and the friction between JBJ and the PAP over the dead body of JBJ.

Kenneth Jeyaratnam can now do the same but I doubt he will go so low as LHL.

I will get back to why and how it all started later after this is all over as now is not the right time.
Just remind me of one of my favourite tunes "billy don't be a hero" especially towards the end of the piece
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Heuer
Dragon

so far, most of the foreign tributes to LKY I saw online did mention him as a "controversial" figure which is consistent with what LTK said.
don't think it is a low blow.

I chance upon this video last night which a group of very young journalists interview LKY.
I did watch this program back then (2006) and my thots are quite diff as compare to rewatching it last night.
Back in 2006, I thot these youngers have no respect to LKY but last night, I feel that LKY old style is not suitable for todays younger generation. you can see from the video these youngers don't agree with LKY be it verbally or non verbally.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Guppies Onli
Dragon

By the time you read this, I have already ZAP you 3 points.

1. Do you need to open a new thread just to discredit Mr.Low or the Opposition even though another thread by Stargazer (7 days mourning period) already touch on this issue at 12.11am before you made this post? Don't tell me you didn't read there.

2. The media already apologised for the error on Low's speech, but why didn't you publish his full speech in your thread? 2 secs after your post here, Aris already posted the full speech in the other thread (7 days mourning period) while you choose not to do so.

3. Have you totally forgotten about the CONDOLENCE LETTER FROM PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON DEMISE OF JB JEYARETNAM? If you have forgotten, or choose not to remember, Richardg has reproduced it here.

So who is Politicizing Death? For this I ZAP u loh.
Also for not telling the whole truth about Low's speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalllfish View Post
In the wake of Mr Lee KY passing, the only opposition who spoke gave a low blow to PAP on the tribute to LKY at parliament this afternoon.

no respect for the dead, in an event which was meant for saying the last thank yous and goodbyes to LKY, some people attempted to abuse his national airtime for polictical gains.... Mr Low is really low..

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-...001857783.html
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #18
menthol28
Dragon

Cool it guys, politics is always divisive, let's put aside all difference and mourn for LKY , even if you hate LKY to the core, best is to refrain from posting any comments.
Plenty of time for such political views and debate at a more appropriate time.
menthol28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
iscariot
Dragon

Die hard pappies fans cannot anyhow bark, read the facts before biting.
iscariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
menthol28
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
Die hard pappies fans cannot anyhow bark, read the facts before biting.
Are you implying pap supporters as dogs? As far as I know only dogs bark and bites, pls lah need to use such words?
menthol28 is offline   Reply With Quote