Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #81
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

April tank update!

https://youtu.be/cK2FEG6hk0E

Still pondering upon the final tankmate. Very hesitant on getting a tiger fish due to stability issues. Also not quite a fan of them, to be frank. I've also already kept bichirs, hooks and peacock bass with the XB previously and didn't really enjoy them very much. I was actually contemplating on a kelah but also worry about the XB chasing it around since its silvery. It's been giving my FF quite abit of a rough time since I sold off the other tankmates awhile ago.. Another option was a mid sized Channa. But those are generally better suited to a planted tank..

Ohh.. So many options, so hard to choose!

Some stills:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #82
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Bro, nice aro & excellent shots
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #83
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

It's been some time since I've updated..! Finally found some time to sit down for awhile and update my video log..

https://youtu.be/PmLKFo-xM-4

422 tank running only on internal filters..

Old 16-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #84
JigSaw

Hey vadriewyn!

Really nice set up you have there!

Now I'm planning also for my very first arowana in a 4*2*2 tank so can I ask a few questions:

1. What type of substrate are you using and do they cause trouble like the aro's waste being difficult to remove or being sucked into the filter?

2. Are those bio spheres media lying around?

3. Is your tank completely pasted with black oyama paper all around to achieve this sleek black look?

Thanks a lot in advance!
JigSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #85
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigSaw View Post
Hey vadriewyn!

Really nice set up you have there!

Now I'm planning also for my very first arowana in a 4*2*2 tank so can I ask a few questions:

1. What type of substrate are you using and do they cause trouble like the aro's waste being difficult to remove or being sucked into the filter?

2. Are those bio spheres media lying around?

3. Is your tank completely pasted with black oyama paper all around to achieve this sleek black look?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Thanks bro! It's just a simple, no frills setup. Due to space constraints, and the chosen location for the tank, I have 2 sides (back and right) with black oyama. The gravel was chosen in part due to the whitish, powdery dust that starts building up on the tank bottom over time. I couldn't stand the tank bottom not looking spick and span (the bottom also has black oyama; so the "dust" looks even more apparent), so I decided on the gravel. It does trap a fair amount gunk, but it's not apparent and really doesn't affect parameters enough to notice. In any case, it also acts as additional surface for beneficial bacteria to colonise. Finally, yes. Those are MP Spheres that are lying around. I couldn't fit anymore into the Dymax EZ-Filter so I just left them there.

I should mention that the tank is fairly lightly stocked (a single XB around 10-12 inches + a feifeng around 4-5 inches). I've been fairly successful keeping water parameters in check with WC done every 10 days or so.

Old 16-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #86
JigSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriewyn View Post
Thanks bro! It's just a simple, no frills setup. Due to space constraints, and the chosen location for the tank, I have 2 sides (back and right) with black oyama. The gravel was chosen in part due to the whitish, powdery dust that starts building up on the tank bottom over time. I couldn't stand the tank bottom not looking spick and span (the bottom also has black oyama; so the "dust" looks even more apparent), so I decided on the gravel. It does trap a fair amount gunk, but it's not apparent and really doesn't affect parameters enough to notice. In any case, it also acts as additional surface for beneficial bacteria to colonise. Finally, yes. Those are MP Spheres that are lying around. I couldn't fit anymore into the Dymax EZ-Filter so I just left them there.

I should mention that the tank is fairly lightly stocked (a single XB around 10-12 inches + a feifeng around 4-5 inches). I've been fairly successful keeping water parameters in check with WC done every 10 days or so.

Haha it seems like we have the same OCD on the tank bottom part not being spick and span. Seems like I'll be putting a layer of gravel too, just haven't decided on the color - mixed or single colored.

And I feel that the MP spheres super compliment the gravel too, looks sibeh artistic lol.

Okay last question , is it better for aros to be looking at the scenery outside or blocked up with black oyama?

As my intended set up would be beside the window, although no direct sunlight but it gets pretty lit up in the day. I'm afraid of a algae problem and maybe drop eye problem when my aros age?

Thanks for the tip!
JigSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #87
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

I'm also very new to arowana. So my opinions don't hold much weight.. But.. I think generally people like that their arowana get abit of sunlight for natural tanning. Green water can be easily mitigated with some form of UV filtration and should be a non issue. I also don't think it will cause dropeye (which is more related to overly fatty food or constantly looking down). I believe that if they have something to look at, around the tank level or higher, then it mitigates the issue with them constantly looking downwards. I've read some people place ping pong balls or the plastic bioballs to float on the surface to attract their attention upwards.

Old 20-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #88
jackmmt

Question, you tan your aro from side or top?
jackmmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #89
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

I did top tanning

Sent from my iNO 3 using Tapatalk
Old 22-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #90
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Just did a major WC and washed my filters..

The poor little feifeng has been getting bullied alot lately.. Think it's time to introduce some other small swimmers to reduce the aggression.