Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 14-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
aromatix
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
Maybe i just worried too much.. just concern about work and future.. what type of enviornment our children will live in.. u know not many people can just say this place don't work and just leave.. this place as in nation etc
may i ask how old u are?
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah_ZhaN View Post
SINGAPORE: Nearly seven in 10 (68 per cent) of employers in Singapore promote their staff without giving them a pay rise.
That's according to a survey by recruitment firm, Robert Half.

It polled 1,800 human resource managers across 17 countries.
According to the survey, 53 per cent of Singapore companies promote staff to more senior positions without a rise in salary because they prefer to offer a performance bonus instead.
It's only a poll survey. Who knows if the figure is higher or lower... now more and more employers takes on foreigners, so that leaves locals competing for jobs, that some employers takes advantage of locals.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
i really question the integrity of the Robert Half report and the sensational headline.
i don't believe employees in Singapore are suckers.
given the pretty good job-market for employees, many will say no thanks to a promo without a raise.
Ironically, all the surveys are always done by Ang-mo-kao companies, as if they know Singapore so well?
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
mictok
Dragon

Our future maybe the elite enjoying life,peace and comfort,the middle class struggle to break thru to be elite n the lower tier not really enjoying life,not really got comfort but got peace.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Won't our Temasek Holding take in those who lose their jobs?
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
How many of u think ur job position will still be available in 5 or 10 years time?
How many of u think the company will still employ u by then?
What if the foriegn investment all don't come in?

think of it feel damn moody..
I was especially concerned about this issue over the past few years, as I've been working for about a decade in the same company. Been going for interviews since as far back as three years ago but didn't manage to find any jobs that matched both the employers' and my expectations (not that I have high expectations; just reasonable ones).

Finally landed in my current job just three months ago (probation ending in a week's time) and am happy with my new company and environment. Still, like Aces, ocassionally I can't help but to think what the future holds in 5 to 10 years' time. I'm in the mid-30s and worried what my career (inside and outside current coy) will be when I hit 40 and beyond...

Quote:
Maybe i just worried too much.. just concern about work and future.. what type of enviornment our children will live in.. u know not many people can just say this place don't work and just leave.. this place as in nation etc
I have a child and yes, I'm indeed worried for his future as well --- lots more competition will be in his era, be it in school admission, universities, career, housing, cost of living etc.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
zjy

feed them too much salary,lazy to think for idea or maybe ready out of idea.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
zjy

want work work for japan company,u no need to say,they will auto take care u.japan compay gd.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
may i ask how old u are?
32 years old..
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
I was especially concerned about this issue over the past few years, as I've been working for about a decade in the same company. Been going for interviews since as far back as three years ago but didn't manage to find any jobs that matched both the employers' and my expectations (not that I have high expectations; just reasonable ones).

Finally landed in my current job just three months ago (probation ending in a week's time) and am happy with my new company and environment. Still, like Aces, ocassionally I can't help but to think what the future holds in 5 to 10 years' time. I'm in the mid-30s and worried what my career (inside and outside current coy) will be when I hit 40 and beyond...

I have a child and yes, I'm indeed worried for his future as well --- lots more competition will be in his era, be it in school admission, universities, career, housing, cost of living etc.
i'm also in my 30 and i can't help but worry coz i'm working in a foreign MNC.. i think the older one gets the more worry about the position comes.. too much commitment to be idle without a job for a long time.. i do question whether sg will still be a visible good place for foriegn investment coz if no than no company gonna set up business here nan our ppl and future generation will have no jobs.. we are not like FT can move back home anytime.. there is no place to go. I just hope they have already have a counter measure just in case all the foriegn captital run off just like the Dubai case.. they got oil to bail them out while sg got what?
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote