Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
SuccessNowHere

Default 100cm x 60cm x 38cm Black Tub

Dear Goldfish & Koi Fans,

I have a 1yr old Black Tub(100x60x38cm) in my garden, currently used it for water feature.

Being poison by those beautiful koi pictures by those expert keeper here, me wanna give it a try and convert this small tub into Koi Pond.

Equipment Ordered :
Hazelock Ecocel2500 Filter Box
Jebao WP3000 Pump

Are the above too powerful for my pond? I want crystal clear water and minimium water changes so is it alright to use the above filter? What additional filter media must I added in to the filter box? Biohomme and Ceremic Ring?

Koi or Goldfishes suitable for my tub size? But my objective is to keep Koi
Any place that I can buy small beautiful koi?

Suitable/Nicer to put pebbles inside the pond?

Thanks for answering to all my questions.

Cheers!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Wilgan
Dragon

Due to the shallow height, Goldfish would be more suitable. The size may be a bit small for big kois too. TVR would be most idea IMHO.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
SuccessNowHere

Thanks Wilgan for your suggestion.

Btw, currently my pond only filled up with 1/3 height of the water, no filter inside only 1 running pump for the water feature, shall I need to empty all the water or can leave it and add it till full to run the new filter system?

My fiber pond is black color instead of blue, keeping TVR will it be nice?

Thanks

Last edited by SuccessNowHere; 02-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Wilgan
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessNowHere View Post
Thanks Wilgan for your suggestion.

Btw, currently my pond only filled up with 1/3 height of the water, no filter inside only 1 running pump for the water feature, shall I need to empty all the water or can leave it and add it till full to run the new filter system?

My fiber pond is black color instead of blue, keeping TVR will it be nice?

Thanks
Think you can just add more water if your existing water is clean. I'm keeping kois in black fgt too. Black will actually calms the fish better as compared to bright colours.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
SuccessNowHere

For my new Hazelock Filter box, can I throw in 1 bag of Ceremic Rings, 2 bags of Biohomme Plus, 1 bag of Coral Chips ?

HeeHee! Today, I went to Nippon Koi Farm, being poison by those kois there, most likely I will keep small kois.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
koijunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessNowHere View Post
For my new Hazelock Filter box, can I throw in 1 bag of Ceremic Rings, 2 bags of Biohomme Plus, 1 bag of Coral Chips ?

HeeHee! Today, I went to Nippon Koi Farm, being poison by those kois there, most likely I will keep small kois.
I would highly recommend you to try the ANS mini-bacteria house. Check it out in the web about its benefits
Old 05-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
SuccessNowHere

Yeah! Finally my small pond have get started ready with filter box being connected(with media loaded), bacterial being added last night.

How many days can I start added in fishes? Thought of adding in 2 small koi to test water on Friday.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Wilgan
Dragon

Best is to test the PH first before adding any fish. Ideal PH for kois/gf should be between 7.2 - 7.8. You may want to add in some beneficial bacteria to speed up bacteria growth too. Do cover the tub too in case they jump.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
SuccessNowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilgan View Post
Best is to test the PH first before adding any fish. Ideal PH for kois/gf should be between 7.2 - 7.8. You may want to add in some beneficial bacteria to speed up bacteria growth too. Do cover the tub too in case they jump.
Thanks Wilgan for the advice, I did added 2 small teaspoon of 'Angel' Super Bact, Nippon Farm crystal Anti-Chlorine yesterday after set-up, today put in 2 caps of 'Seachem' Prime.

Water now very clear, will test pH tomorrow. HeeHee, want to put in fish faster
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
SuccessNowHere

Just anyhow shot a picture from my iphone of my new 'house' for kois(mini),
paiseh, me pond so small and this kind of standard still want to post picture here

Really very very admire the huge and wonderful pond by bro winkelock here.

Will add in more plants to make it more natural, will put up a net on the front and especially right side of the pond, if not my kois will practice high jump from 18th floor

Any idea on how to hide the unsightly water pipe being exposed?

Thanks

Last edited by SuccessNowHere; 06-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.