Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 22-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #1
fongs

redcross Help! My Goldfish can't close his mouth!!

Hi bros,

Urgent help needed! My GF has got his mouth wide open & can't close it. (see pic) He has been staying close to the bottom of the tank & appears to be "panting" as he breath.

I've checked & couldn't see anything stuck in the mouth... wat could be wrong? Ulcers in the mouth? He has not been eating for 2 days now.

Any help appreciated... Thx!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sick GF - mouth open.JPG (46.2 KB, 2120 views)
Old 22-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
amigo
Dragon

Happen to my greedy goldfish before. Stupid fish swallow pebble which makes it having difficulty breathing. Need sometime to dig it out. Check your goldfish again.
amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongs
Hi bros,

Urgent help needed! My GF has got his mouth wide open & can't close it. (see pic) He has been staying close to the bottom of the tank & appears to be "panting" as he breath.

I've checked & couldn't see anything stuck in the mouth... wat could be wrong? Ulcers in the mouth? He has not been eating for 2 days now.

Any help appreciated... Thx!!
Since you have gravel check the mouth again (in the day time) there must be something inside.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
Repz

Open Mouth (cannot close mouth)- This is usually when fish have a rock or something foreign stuck in their mouths. If you are very gentle you can push it forward and out of their mouth through an accessway under the gill cover. The fish of course would do better if under some anesthesia. Oil of cloves can be recommended too. The other reasons for open mouth could be a sore or ulcer located on the roof of the mouth. This is usually treated by swabbing the area with hydrogen peroxide (be careful not to get any in the gills) and an injection of Baytril. More information on injections available at http://www.koivet.com. top

Spitting- This is almost always from an advanced infestation of flukes. But you should do the following 2 things:

(1) Capture the fish, and do an oral exam looking for an ulcer, check the gills for swelling, paleness, white streaks around the edges of the gill or through the gill tissue, or any kind of foreign body (rock, pebble, etc.).

(2) Scrape the gill and examine under a microscope for flukes. ( best done by someone who knows what they are looking for)

More information is available on flukes at http://www.koivet.com
Old 22-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
Desolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King
Since you have gravel check the mouth again (in the day time) there must be something inside.
Agreed, check for any foreign object that get stuck in the mouth.
Old 22-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
GHETTOKID

i had this prob b4..gf took an algae wafer..and it was stuck in its mouth..took an hour for the wafer to dissolve..anyway regarding the possibilty of a pebble being ingested..its better to have a tank without substrate or pebbles..easier to maintain also..
Old 22-08-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
fongs

Exclamation

Thx to all bros for your valuable inputs!

I'm not sure if my GF has swallowed anything. I tried looking into his mouth... found nothing.

2 other GFs in the same tank died the day b4. I only change water the following day after noticing this GF's not doing well. Cud it be due to virus infection from the dead fishes?
Old 23-08-2004, 03:24 AM   #8
Desolator

Quote:
Thx to all bros for your valuable inputs!

I'm not sure if my GF has swallowed anything. I tried looking into his mouth... found nothing.

2 other GFs in the same tank died the day b4. I only change water the following day after noticing this GF's not doing well. Cud it be due to virus infection from the dead fishes?
The other dead gf got any sight of sick? Should had change the water immediately. RIP.
Old 23-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
fongs

Exclamation

Ya... tat was the BIG mistake I made. I put some Ocean-Free green medicine & thought tat it will be ok... apparently not!

The other GFs died I think 'cos of a new overhead filter I added. The flow rate maybe too high. I've since remove the filter & use the old one.

My GF still has his mouth wide open. Tried to hand feed him but he's not eating. He swims a little every now & then only to rest at the bottom of the tank after awhile - "panting". Appears to be quite weak maybe 'cos he hasn't been eating for 3 days now.

I've another thought. Should I be changing the filter material? Juz remembered this morning... I've re-used the material that were present when the dead fishes were in the tank!

Do u think he's infected with any diseases? How to tell? How to cure?
Old 23-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Do u think he's infected with any diseases? How to tell? How to cure?
Okay, maybe you can try this as last resort. Use something to hold on to the mouth and pull out alittle then push in back to normal position.

There is no medical ground for what I am gonna tell you ... and I have a 20 pages disclaimer if you ask me But here goes, the mouth of the fish is make out of a few pieces of extendable plates(soft bone) and skin. Sometime when a fish over extends it's mouth, this plates get locked and the fish can't retract it's mouth.

I have seen this happen in Bala Shark and Datnoid, and I believe thats what happen here. The fish will probably get weaker and drown due to lack of oxygen in the long run. Without closing it's mouth it can't correctly project max amount of water thru it's gills when breathing. Therefore it needs to breath more, which will exhauste itself out after awhile.