Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 26-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
lizhien

bro gryphon, thanks for sharing. Might be looking to mod my 150A too. What are the improvements using the external probe?
Old 30-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird126 View Post
Nice sharing. What is the outcome of the modification , improvement on efficiency?

Mind to share further
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizhien View Post
bro gryphon, thanks for sharing. Might be looking to mod my 150A too. What are the improvements using the external probe?
The main reason why I mod is because I find that some time after my chiller kicks in, the chiller's temperature which measures the chiller's internal water tank actually rises before eventually dropping (suspect that the hot air is heating the water tank causing the raise in temperature). This caused my chiller to kick in longer to cool to a lower than the actual temperature.

My chiller kicks in at 25 deg (for about 45min+) and kicks out (nearly 2hrs) when its reading is at 24 deg but my tank temperature is 23 deg or lower! This gives my tank a rather big temperature difference of 25 deg to 23 deg or lower.

After mod, my chiller kicks in 30min and kicks out 1.5hr. Temperature is much more stable now between 24-25deg.

Since there are many queries on the price of the probe, just let everyone know its 2 red notes, bought at Sim Lim Tower Acez Instrument Pte Ltd, #B1-38
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
bigbird126

Thanks for the info. May go for the mod too..
Old 26-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #14
lizhien

Modded the chiller.. 5 min job. Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Old 26-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
bigbird126

Mod mine as well.

Thanks for the informative guide ..
Old 14-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizhien View Post
Modded the chiller.. 5 min job. Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird126 View Post
Mod mine as well.

Thanks for the informative guide ..
Not a problem. Glad that it helps and give you all better results
Old 23-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
gryphon
Arofanatic

---------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED
A bro told me that the last photo cannot be seen, so I have re-uploaded the photo and changed the link.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

All thanks to the help from the various bros, I have managed to modify my Haliea 150A chiller to use an external temperature probe. Just want to share with other bros who are interested in this DIY. The modification took me less that 20min.

The external temperature probe/sensor was purchased from Sim Lim Tower (NOT Sim Lim Square) B1. It is the shop near the escalator, just ask if they sell Fox temperature controllers. Sim Lim Tower Acez Instrument Pte Ltd, #B1-38Bros here have successfully used 2 similar models (same price), FN-200N's replacement temperature probe which has a long metal probe/sensor or a NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor. I have bought the latter, picture as shown below.

First remove the front panel of the Haliea 150A chiller by pulling from the bottom of the panel.

Next use your fingers (both hands will be easier) to reach behind the display panel to locate 2 tabs and press them down and push out the front panel.

The 2 tabs which I am refering to are circled below.

You can see that there is a pair of wires (red and black) which is connected to the internal water tank's temperature probe/sensor. Disconnect the connector (circled below) and attach the external temperature probe/sensor to it (attach to the end that is connected to the display panel).

To attach the external temperature probe/sensor to the connector, you can use soldering iron to solder the points together or use those electrical connector blocks . Some bros even managed to buy the same connector from shops in Sim Lim Tower top floor and pay the shops to fix up the connector.

Note that for the NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor, you need to connect the wire with white words to the red wire and the other plain black wire to the black wire.

You can calibrate your chiller to match your tank's temperature by pressing and hold the Up and Down arrows together. Maximium is +1.5Deg and -1.5Deg
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
troyjbon

Thumbs up April 2013

Hi. Thanks for this valuable info. I just bought two sensor today at the same place. Still cost the same. Bought 2 for two hailea chillers 100a.

Same thing. Fix em up. Did some soldering and everything falls into place perfectly. Wiring and menu for 150a and 100a is the same. !
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
gxchong
Arofanatic

Anyone did it on HS 28? Any difference? tks
gxchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
slwong
Arofanatic

If kick in 13mins, kick out Ard 40-45mins... Temperatures set at 25'c, is consider ok?
slwong is offline   Reply With Quote