Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 20-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
Aces
Arofanatic

Default need advise on planted tank

I wann kick start a nano or 1ft tank.. just need some advise

qns
1. are there mini DIY CO2 System in the market and do such a small tank require CO2 system? I don't wan those big big type of cylinder.. sure kana chop by my parents..

2. what equipment do I need for a nano or mini tank?

3. I'm just planning to keep java moss and plants + maybe shrimp or small fishes but can make do without them.. can I do so without a filter system or air pump but with CO2 system?

4. do CO2 system need power supply =X

sorry for newbie question.. I still don't get it how CO2 system works.. =X hoping can save electric supply.. =X
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces

qns
1. are there mini DIY CO2 System in the market and do such a small tank require CO2 system? I don't wan those big big type of cylinder.. sure kana chop by my parents..

3. I'm just planning to keep java moss and plants + maybe shrimp or small fishes but can make do without them.. can I do so without a filter system or air pump but with CO2 system?

sorry for newbie question.. I still don't get it how CO2 system works.. =X hoping can save electric supply.. =X
Yes nutrafin got diy co2 set, come with everything needed from air tight cannister for the mixture to the co2 diffuser. Another althernative is seachem excel tat is carbon water for planted. DIY co2 use only sugar and yeast, no need any electricity to run

I use eden mini internal filter for my 1 ft tank, i use eden 501.
There are light set for 1 ft
Old 20-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces

qns

Yes, there are DIY systems like Nutrafin CO2. Seachem excel is an alternative but not all plants react to it positively. Plants like mosses need CO2 in it's pure form.

Basically the same as any planted tank. Lights, substrate, plants, filter. CO2, base fert are optional.

It's better to have a filter. There are success of VERY heavily planted tanks that run without a filter, but its quite rare. There are alot of small internal filters available and they're pretty cheap so you shouldn't skim on this.

Cylinder CO2 systems utilizing solenoid regulators that switches the CO2 supply on and off needs power supply. A DIY system or a CO2 cylinder using a manual regulator do not need power. It's good to use the solenoid regulator as you can automate the switching on and off of the CO2 in conjuction with your photoperiod (the period of time that the light is on)

Hope this helps.
Old 21-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
ymmij
Senior Dragon

you could diy a co2 system just by adding sugar and yeast to about 1.2l of water in a 1.5l bottle. the co2 released should be able to last you for a few weeks.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
levitation

Default Nano Tank setup

Hi there,

I am currently having a nano tank in my office. It houses 10 shrimps and some java moss with some mini nanas. I use normal gravel as substrate with no CO2 and no fertilizers or filters. The only thing i do use is anti-chlorine solution.

Totally self sustaining as the plants are low light choices.

I do normal water change of 25% per week. No algae problems as well.

Hope this will help you in deciding whether to even have co2 and filter.

Regards,
Yen
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
spot89

Lightbulb

i have a CO2 deffuser and CO2 (spraycan type) bought 1 week ago if you 1 can give it to you. upgrade to canister type