Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 31-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
slcw

Default keeping anemones

I am member of S'pore and Mal fish forum, i noticed numberous members attempting to keep anemones which i feel perhaps i can share some experiences.
I am in no way an expert in this area, just someone who understands a bit more.

To begin with:

Intro:
Statistical data researched by experts in this field has derived a result that anemones have poor survival rates in capavity, most of which do not surpass 2 years in capavity and a lesser % between 2yrs to 5yrs. There is even fewer data on anemones in capavity > 5yrs. The study was reported by Joyce W.

Nobody can place an AGE to anemones; that is an anemone can exist > 100 yrs old. Nobody can be certain. A question posed would be if an anemone (assumed) to be 10yrs old, if it split into 2 (smaller) would be age 0 or 15.

Setup:
To be specific for anemones: strong lighting (MH), good flow (min 5x flow), substrate (grade 1), no powerheads, beware of overflow compartment. This is an area that is covered in depth by many experienced ppl such as:

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/
http://www.reefcentral.com
(under anemones and clowns there are 2 articles in there)
http://www.wetwebmedia.com
(another 2 articles by anemone aquarist)

as such i would not cover it here.

And of course, the most respected document i regard is:
A field guide to Clown fish and it host sea anemones. (do a goggle)

ID and selection of anemones:
refer to the websites given above. I have an advise: that is always research first before purchasing one. Basically know the odds u are against in keeping anemones. Different anemones require different needs.

When in the LFS, note if the anemone is not adhering to the glass or substrate dun buy it. if the guts are out, dun get it too. refer to the guides above.

Experiences:
Carpet anemones prefer sand substrate and sometimes prefer to be adhere to a rock before moving to the sand. (much i have learnt from books, and the websites i have visited.

BTA are regarded the easist, i agree. but they have a tendency to move compared to carpets. However, my BTA never moved (current aquarium) compared to my carpet. This requires to understand their needs (lighting and flow)

I can conclude and confirm that when an anemone is deprived from light they will move either to towards the light or the area of the greatest flow (powerheads and overflow - Anemones require lighting for zoos and occassional feeding.) So dun blame them, it is ur lack of understanding of them. Target 1st the lighting, then create the flow around them.

An anemone moving constantly in an aquarium and does not settle down is on a road to disaster. Quickly understand the individual needs of them before correcting them. Monitor their process and observe.

Mixing anemones:
This an area of much contrasting views, if u ask www.wetwebmedia.com or the expert forums in RC, the response will be no. Even they are the same type.
HOWEVER, they are still numberous ppl that mix anemones, even in RC. However that is not all, ppl also mix soft corals, LPS, SPS and anemones together.

I have come to a conclusion is whatever u mix, be prepared to remove anemones or other corals if physical warfare is occuring.

However, pls note chemcial warfare can occur without any of the corals and anemones phyiscally touching each other.

So if u not prepared, then go biotype. An anemone species tank with no other corals or invertebrates. I suggest 2.5ft cube with 250watts MH.

Conclusion
Like any other fish or corals, with proper research and understand would increase your chances of enjoying your hobby. At the end of the day, remember to share like what Bob Fenner said

Suggested books
1) Clownfish by Joyce W
2) Reef Aquarium I by Julian Spring
3) Sea clowns and their host anemones by John Tullock
4) Natural Aquariums by John Tullock