Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 24-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
soomin
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo™
That's strange, most of my orders from US and recently from Germany all escape GST payment. They are well above S$200
All these personal order won't go thru import permit right ? Tat mean Spore Customs don't have a record to tax you. However, as stated by law, is your onus to report to the authority. Don't worry, nobody will do that include myself.
Ever experience at airport, customs officer is asking do you buy anything (except those form duty free shop) from oversea and what is the value ? So far, customs is not so strict on those personal stuff, but by law, yes, we need to declare.
soomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
nim75sg

Bro Dodo echoed my views and must say that if the local agent provides the expected level of pricing and post-sales service then there is no reason why should someone purchase from overseas.

Anyway, it doesn't concern me if Tom, Dick or Haryy decided to purchase overseas rather than from local agent as I'm not sponsoring his purchase.
Old 24-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
roidan

I dunno if what i noticed is true,

while deltec price gap is closing up between overseas and local agent, it seems to me that H&S is still significantly cheaper at sewatec than at sealife.....of coz one is paying the higher cost for sealife's experience, sales support and so on.....

but on the other hand, the difference may be so great that some buyers may simply just forgo these and still opt to order overseas....

for those contemplating to do so, better ask nim75sg for advice for quality shipping and so on since he is one of the more experienced ones around when it comes to ordering from overseas.

Happy shopping...hahaha
Old 24-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
losmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo™
That's strange, most of my orders from US and recently from Germany all escape GST payment. They are well above S$200
That's because you make a false declaration to the customs :P

As for the comment on the local agent providing the expected level of pricing and post-sales service then there is no reason why should someone purchase from overseas. In the previous few post in this thread and another thread abt giesmann skimmers it's already mentioned that now the pricing from the local distributor is lower than what you can get from the internet plus the very fact that there is a chance that you might get parts missing or damaged during shipment.

Another reefer said that he could use fedex or UPS but when we talk abt large skimmers like AP702, the extra cost will offset any savings (if any) when ordering from those online stores. At the present situation, even if you opt for the cheapest way of shipping the local distributor is still cheaper.

It's a no brainer who to order from unless you're not happy with your money. I can't question how you spend your $$$$ :P
Old 24-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
losmandy

As for comments on service and whatever craps regarding closing down of local distributor and not able to get products due to all the rumours you can read this thread.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...0&#entry371122
Old 24-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #16
spsman

Thumbs up agree

I guess after reading so many posts, the decision lies with the buyer.

Caveat Emptor is the word here, in this thread.

If one feels he can trust the local agent, by all means make his purchase and be happy with it. This is a hobby and the point is to be happy.

However, i prefer to purchase online and i also agree with Roidan to make queries with more experienced reefers before buying. The truth is you can discount experience from a older and wiser person.

I am not the geh kiang type and i often seek advice from senior ppl, be it on reefing or other matters?

btw, i would like to ask bro Roidan how his quadruple beckett works and whether it really works? maybe we can work out a co venture in this. cheerz.
In chinese "he qi sheng cai"
Old 24-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #17
spsman

Default thank u weiloong

Quote:
Originally Posted by losmandy
As for comments on service and whatever craps regarding closing down of local distributor and not able to get products due to all the rumours you can read this thread.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...0&#entry371122
Now i know what happened... omigosh! i should read sgreefclub more often.
btw, weiloong, thank u for the effort in referencing links to your point all this time. good boy...

cheerz
Old 24-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
losmandy

Now the situation is like this. The NTUC besides your house sells the sweet for 10cents. However you still order the same sweet all the way from JB at 15cents plus 5cents for delivery. You did this because you don't like that cashier working at the NTUC.
Old 24-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #19
roidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsman
btw, i would like to ask bro Roidan how his quadruple beckett works and whether it really works? maybe we can work out a co venture in this. cheerz.
In chinese "he qi sheng cai"
firstly, every skimmer works, it is only a matter of how well each skimmer works....all i can say is that my quaduple beckett is superior leaps and bounds over my previous aquaC ev240 and H&S 150-F2001 combined (and i am only firing 2 injectors currently)

co-venture? geee...firstly, the skimmer isn't my brainchild alone...and secondly, i don't see big money in this aspect of the hobby...

to be able to sustain what i have in my system speaks alot for my skimmer...although in the background, things like liverocks, my DSB and so on may also be at play here....(and yes...i use no denitrators..haha )

but anyway, cheers....and we are off-topic again...haha
Old 24-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidan
I dunno if what i noticed is true,

while deltec price gap is closing up between overseas and local agent, it seems to me that H&S is still significantly cheaper at sewatec than at sealife.....of coz one is paying the higher cost for sealife's experience, sales support and so on.....

but on the other hand, the difference may be so great that some buyers may simply just forgo these and still opt to order overseas....

for those contemplating to do so, better ask nim75sg for advice for quality shipping and so on since he is one of the more experienced ones around when it comes to ordering from overseas.

Happy shopping...hahaha
Whoa, really Kam Siah man!

Bro Roidan or Raymond?? Can share your experience on Beckett Skimmer before my next Skimmer purchase as I couldn't decide whether to order from overseas or not ...