Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Maheshrajan
Dragon

Default recommend a plant for partial submerge

Hi bros,

Would like to scape my tank with simple low tech concept with rocks and plants for .my archer fish comm. But i would like a plant that can be submerged and partially out of water. My tank height is 2.5ft but water level is only at 20".. so i would like to make the plants over hanging the water surface so i can let go crickets for my archer to shoot. can anyone pls suggest such plants and where to get them and how to care for them.. if u know the price
would be better... Thanks all..
Maheshrajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
wildaltum
Dragon

Bro..I used to keep a plant that will grow out of the water..the leaves are normal broad shaped types...arrghh...I forgot the name. It shoots straight out of water. Very hardy plant

The plant can sometimes be seen at the old uncle shop at Pasir Ris fish Farm there selling plants only...grows out of the water and very tall. The new leaves will not open in water but will grow out of water.
wildaltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post
Bro..I used to keep a plant that will grow out of the water..the leaves are normal broad shaped types...arrghh...I forgot the name. It shoots straight out of water. Very hardy plant

The plant can sometimes be seen at the old uncle shop at Pasir Ris fish Farm there selling plants only...grows out of the water and very tall. The new leaves will not open in water but will grow out of water.
Are you referring to anubia nana?
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
davidw
Dragon

I don't know the name for this plant but its really useful and hardy, doesnt need much light, juz submerge the roots inside water or tie to some tall driftwood or the tank bracing will do....

davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Loudness

what about those lucky bamboo? it doesnt require much light too, but need to wash and soak a few days as there's alot of fertilizer on it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
wildaltum
Dragon

Hi peanut bro...no I am not referring to nana plants. It will grow tall when the tank itself is tall. The leaves are quite big if grown well and the leaves have red coloured dots on it.

It will not have any leaves growing in water when it is well planted. The leaves will come out from the bottom of the plant in the soil and shoot upwards vertically till it grows out of the water and then the leave will open up. The plant does not have a stem on its own, it will sprout individual stem for each leave from the base of the plant.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
limchongyu
Arofanatic

Echinodorus? also commonly known as sword plant?
limchongyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post
Hi peanut bro...no I am not referring to nana plants. It will grow tall when the tank itself is tall. The leaves are quite big if grown well and the leaves have red coloured dots on it.

It will not have any leaves growing in water when it is well planted. The leaves will come out from the bottom of the plant in the soil and shoot upwards vertically till it grows out of the water and then the leave will open up. The plant does not have a stem on its own, it will sprout individual stem for each leave from the base of the plant.
Erm... tiger lotus aka "Nymphaea Lotus Red"?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
wildaltum
Dragon

Hi guys...found the plant thanks to bro chongyu!!!

the plant name is "echinodorus macrophyllus"

When you buy from fish shops they tend to sell small ones with leaves in water. But when you plant them well, it will shoot leaves out of the water and have big leaves. Will also grow white flowers too. It is a very hardy plant and will grow big when you put couple of root busters fertilisers for it.

Thanks for all brothers help here.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
morriselma
Dragon

can post pics? tx.
morriselma is offline   Reply With Quote