Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 14-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Lightbulb Decreasing tank light loss.

Using white board and old car sunscreen to reflect light from front glass when not viewing.

Want to maximise lighting.

What else do you guys do to improve lighting?
Please share here.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
ethanleow
Dragon

I don't see the need to do this actually. Sufficient nutrient vs sufficient CO2 vs lighting is more important. If nutrient is lacking or too much in excess.. You will face algae problem..
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Generally, I feel it's not so much of problems with less lighting, but excess lighting that planted hobbyists face in general. Personally, I go with T5HO for high tech setups and LEDs for low tech setups. In some cases, as with the Green Element Evo LED range, they are designed for planted setups, with a selection allowing 6500k lighting or 6500k + 10000k lighting. At 3W per bulb, I'm pretty convinced it can do the job of a T5HO. In all honesty, I have never tried the lamp on a true planted before, but it kept my money plants thriving before my livestock ate them up, and that was with just the 6 x 3W 6500k bulbs (3ft lightset on a 6.8'x3'x2' tank).

What lighting are you using? if I remember correctly, this is your 3ft-er setup? I think your plants are doing very good in general. IMO, the glareshield can increase the lighting level, but at the expense of over-illuminating the tank, and at the same time, stressing the livestock further.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
WaterChwee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Generally, I feel it's not so much of problems with less lighting, but excess lighting that planted hobbyists face in general. Personally, I go with T5HO for high tech setups and LEDs for low tech setups. In some cases, as with the Green Element Evo LED range, they are designed for planted setups, with a selection allowing 6500k lighting or 6500k + 10000k lighting. At 3W per bulb, I'm pretty convinced it can do the job of a T5HO. In all honesty, I have never tried the lamp on a true planted before, but it kept my money plants thriving before my livestock ate them up, and that was with just the 6 x 3W 6500k bulbs (3ft lightset on a 6.8'x3'x2' tank).

What lighting are you using? if I remember correctly, this is your 3ft-er setup? I think your plants are doing very good in general. IMO, the glareshield can increase the lighting level, but at the expense of over-illuminating the tank, and at the same time, stressing the livestock further.
I thought LED lights are better than T5 lights for plant tank ? I failed in growing japanese hairgrass with 4 x 39T5HO due to 2ft depth for my 322 tank and thought if an LED lightset is better.

Have you seen the LED lightsets sold at NA as Mr Chan told me that he is selling.
WaterChwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterChwee View Post
I thought LED lights are better than T5 lights for plant tank ? I failed in growing japanese hairgrass with 4 x 39T5HO due to 2ft depth for my 322 tank and thought if an LED lightset is better.

Have you seen the LED lightsets sold at NA as Mr Chan told me that he is selling.
Mine elaborate in what way you "failed" in growing JHG? Sometimes, lighting may not be the main issue when plants fail to take off.

I have seen lightings at NA, but honestly, I have never really taken a close look at how well they can be applied to a planted tank. I can only relate my own experience with using LEDs for planted tanks. Thus far, I have used both Up Aqua's slim LED and Beamswork Green Element lightsets, and I must say, they both work better than I expected. However, I won't say for sure that all LEDs can work just as well... It's a matter of trial and error, in my case. I am quite happy with the results of my lighting choice so far.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Sleepy_lancs

Seriously, at the current technology LED isn't going to help you save energy if you are planning to use 3w per LED. Generally LED is still suited for smaller tank (2ft and below) with low to mid light requirement. For bigger tanks, its still cheaper to use T5 lights (power consumption is similar). Think about it a damage T5 tube cost you less than SGD$10 but a blown LED bulb is not replaceable (unless you are getting those expensive models), you have to either live with it or replace the entire set.
Old 22-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Improve lighting? Good reflectors are often overlooked. No point having high powered tubes if the light dispersion is all over the place.
So when buying light sets, also look at the angle of light dispersion.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote