Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 15-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
VapourMage

Unhappy T5 vs PL

i understand tat T5 lightings are new technology to marine fish keeping but r T5s really better than even PLs for greater light intensity?Cos 1 saw some lights tat come wif T5 like slim tubing but is actually PL tubes(called T4?)

currently using 3 25W FLs for my 2.5ft marine tank,arcardia marine white & blue plus a china brand pink light...but i feel tat the intensity is not enough...thinking of DIY(ing) the lights.. can any1 please advice me on whether to use PL or T5? THANKS!
Old 15-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
KaLiB

Get T5s if their within your budget. From what i know, they have better light output as compared to PLs. What your tank have?

T4s are not PLs. I used to get confused by that as well. There was a discussion sometime back on T4s i think, try doing a search.
Old 15-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
VapourMage

T5s r not really very much more ex than PLs,in fact cheaper right.. i had a previous setup which failed and now i m re-doing it..intending to keep soft corals.mushrooms.sea fans and certain corals..

can u tell me more abt T4s if u dun mind...thanks alot..
Old 15-04-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
KaLiB

If you DIY, T5s would only cost a little more. But if you buy the hood + tube, it'll cost way more than a PL.

T4s, not very sure so better don't say wait say wrong thing.
Old 16-04-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
deep_end

bro KaLiB,

I used to sell T4s in my LFS - they're basically slightly thinner versions of T5s, being exactly 1/2" diameter. However, they were designed more for architectural purposes. Fortunately for me, I know a wee bit more about colour temperatures (ain't the Net great??!! ) than the average LFS owner, so I was able to capitalise on this cheap but intense form of lighting.

Visually speaking, a 20W T4 about 23" long is more than twice as intense as a 20W white FL tube, and it only costs about RM15 (less if you shop around) for the tube. You can't stand and look at the tube for more than 5 min., especially with the reflectors.

Unfortunately, their intensity and spectrum change within 4 months, and seldom last beyond 6 months.

PL-Ls can be rated as T5 only in terms of the diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
If you DIY, T5s would only cost a little more. But if you buy the hood + tube, it'll cost way more than a PL.

T4s, not very sure so better don't say wait say wrong thing.
Old 16-04-2004, 12:26 AM   #6
eiki

If compare a T5 and PL tube of the same wattage, T5 is brighter then PL. Also cooler.
Old 16-04-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiki
If compare a T5 and PL tube of the same wattage, T5 is brighter then PL. Also cooler.
Not really true, HO T5 are very hot too.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
mansiz

Oh T5s are also hot ah....

Then if I don't own a chiller, will 2 x 24 watt T5s lights increase my tank temp greatly? Currently using T8, not too bad on the temp, around 27 DegreeC.

And comparing T5 and T4, which one is better? And which one is cheaper? (purchasing with hood and bulbs for 2 feet tank, 2 x 24 watt)
Old 16-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
KaLiB

I think fans should be good enough to keep the tank cool when you use T5s.
Old 16-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
coconut3

anyone have T4 or T5 pic to share. does it use e-ballast? how it works basically?