Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 12-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
glay78

Default Media used in Sump tank

Hello guys may I know what type of media to be used in sump tank as filter for SW?

Read that CR are better not to used..so besides wool and sponges what can I use?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
KaLiB

If its a FOWLR setup, you can add in bioballs or biohome. Coral chips are also an alternative if you don't want bioballs or biohome. Nitrates is not so much of a concern IMO for a FOWLR setup as compared to a reef tank.

Coral chips and bioballs are not so great for reef tanks as they can produce quite alot of nitrates, so you will need other systems like denitrators, powerful skimmer, lots of dense LRs, water changes etc. to counter all the nitrates that are being produced.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
glay78

Quote:
Originally posted by KaLiB
If its a FOWLR setup, you can add in bioballs or biohome. Coral chips are also an alternative if you don't want bioballs or biohome. Nitrates is not so much of a concern IMO for a FOWLR setup as compared to a reef tank.

Coral chips and bioballs are not so great for reef tanks as they can produce quite alot of nitrates, so you will need other systems like denitrators, powerful skimmer, lots of dense LRs, water changes etc. to counter all the nitrates that are being produced.
Currently have a 2ft with 10kg LR and sandbed. Now only using a HOB filter thinking it might not be very good if were to change to sump tank will be better. Have 2 tubeworm, abit of mushroom and a button. Only 2 clown anemone later. What do u think I can use for media?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
KaLiB

Since the tank is 2ft, so the sump size won't be very big. Doubt you would find much space to incorporate a macroalgae refugium in the sump to further aid nutrient export.

Are you running any protein skimmer currently?

Here' s a suggestion, you don't have to follow it:
You can have 3 forms of filtration in the sump, mechanical, biological and chemical.

For biological you can choose between biohome or bioballs. I think bro Slcw here uses liverocks in his sump for biological filtration. Maybe you can PM him to find how it is.

For chemical activated carbon can be used. At times you may need to run other chemical media to filter the water chemically like the use of Rowaphos to remove phosphates.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
coconut3

i think filter media and filter wool are quite useless in sw.
those 'old bird' usually dun use them...
Old 12-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
deep_end

coconut3,

Not quite. If you look at many LFS run by old birds, many of them still use wet/dry or trickle filters. It's only the knowledgeable ones that don't, and these may be old OR more likely, young, since "old birds" can't learn new tricks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by coconut3
i think filter media and filter wool are quite useless in sw.
those 'old bird' usually dun use them...