Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 04-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
bonjour2

Default Advice on FL for 2ft tank

Hello everyone ,
I am browsing through ZooMed lightings for Marine Tank and was surprise to know that FL lamp have various intensity.
I need some advice here.Zoo Med lightings have 3 types, Reef Sun (50/50 combination of 6500k trichromatic daylight phosphor and actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp) , Ocean Sun (10,000k high intensity lamp with strong emissions in the blue spectrum simulating deeper ocean environments) , and coral sun (High intensity actinic lamp with strong emissions in the short wavelength region of the spectrum, peaking at 420 nm.).
For a 2ft tank which I intend to keep a mushroom , Brain Coral and Perhaps Bubble and Tubeworms, which of the 3 is more suitable?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
KaLiB

If i'm not wrong, brain coral can't be sustained on FLs, better to use PLs or t5s as these 2 lights have higher output as compared to FL, even then, multiple tubes should be used.

Mushrooms should be able to live off FLs if you use multiple tubes, like 3 or 4 tubes. The Ocean sun should be ok for mushrooms.

The reason is that FLs light output is less as compared to PL and t5.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
chua_hs

does wattage affect intensity?

does 36watt bulb give out more light than a 17watt bulb?

then how come some PL have 2pins while other PL have 4?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
bonjour2

Default re: Lighting

Hmm, Not even if I purchase the 10000K fl light from ZooMed is sufficient for Brain Coral?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally posted by chua_hs
does wattage affect intensity?

does 36watt bulb give out more light than a 17watt bulb?

then how come some PL have 2pins while other PL have 4?
When comparing tubes of the same class E.g 36watts PL to 18watts PL, of course the 36watts will have a greater output but this is not necessary true if you are comparing bulbs of different class.

Smaller PL tubes have 2 pins which do not require a starter whereas 4pins PL require a starter
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
chua_hs

Quote:
Originally posted by BarraCuda™
When comparing tubes of the same class E.g 36watts PL to 18watts PL, of course the 36watts will have a greater output but this is not necessary true if you are comparing bulbs of different class.

Smaller PL tubes have 2 pins which do not require a starter whereas 4pins PL require a starter
i tot with eballast dont need starter?

with 2pins, does tt mean an eballast wif 4 wires can power 2 2pin pl?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Default Re: re: Lighting

Quote:
Originally posted by bonjour2
Hmm, Not even if I purchase the 10000K fl light from ZooMed is sufficient for Brain Coral?
10000K is only the colour temperature of the bulb, it got nothing to do with the intensity required for healthy growth of corals.

Typical FL tubes cant mantain anything much more than soft corals.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote