Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 31-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #101
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong68 View Post
mine is hikari, seldom see this brand le, where you buy ?
I bought from Max for all 3 brand, or Diamond Koi for Sakai.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #102
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
For kohaku, so far not really satisfy with the result, except for that piece shown in the pic, body shape still good.....those "pop eye" bloodline was a disaapointment. The colour not outstanding bec I dun feed colour food.
bro, my own experience with Kohaku is that if we grow them from tosai, they stretch and get orange in colour by the time they reach nisai.

But those nisai that i get can hold their colour much better, and i really suspect the japan mud pond (& their winter) has some sort of a colour sealant effect (like those paint sealant for our cars!) cos all my nisai have good colour even when they turn sansai.

That is why i have moved my focus to nisai as start point for grooming koi. I buy tosai only to keep my frens company & for fun to test my eye.

Nonetheless, tosai is still the more affordable entry point and there are still loads to learn from raising them.
Old 31-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #103
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
bro, my own experience with Kohaku is that if we grow them from tosai, they stretch and get orange in colour by the time they reach nisai.

But those nisai that i get can hold their colour much better, and i really suspect the japan mud pond (& their winter) has some sort of a colour sealant effect (like those paint sealant for our cars!) cos all my nisai have good colour even when they turn sansai.

That is why i have moved my focus to nisai as start point for grooming koi. I buy tosai only to keep my frens company & for fun to test my eye.

Nonetheless, tosai is still the more affordable entry point and there are still loads to learn from raising them.

The stretching is basically grow too fast. If the beni quality is good, it should consolidate back when mature. The mud pond definitely have that effect, and that's why some are using stuff like the Momotaro Clay or the Refresh Powder.

Growing them need skill, so as to maintain their growth rate with the proportional skin quality.

My dis-satisfaction with the kohaku are mainly due to the non-potential jumbo body structure. Skin quality still ok...
Old 31-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #104
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
I bought from Max for all 3 brand, or Diamond Koi for Sakai.
noted & tks bro. will try to go down and take a lot 1st.
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #105
terence28

Quote:
Growing them need skill, so as to maintain their growth rate with the proportional skin quality.
True, care to share yr secret?

Quote:
My dis-satisfaction with the kohaku are mainly due to the non-potential jumbo body structure.
Can u elaborate what u mean by "non-potential jumbo body structure"?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #106
LVANILLA
Arofanatic

Quote:
Bro...I get someone to fabricate the Acrylic box. The box, I design myself. But the system is a modify copy from the Bekki shower concept. It works similar like using those toyo box or crate.

The 3 chambers is the traditional design.

If u r doing, I would be keen to involve in the brainstorming of the suitable system, but the system may or maynot works...

My pond dun cost much, as I get the wet-work contractor to do it when renovating my house. It is probably the cost of cement and tiles. No need to pay for "design fee".

The filter media are the expensive one!
Hi Bro, thanks for sharing. Cement pond seems to be much cheaper than FGT.
FGT cost is crazy....

BTW, Cement is not water proof. The sealent is mixed w cement. Most prob yr contarctor put but nvr tell u
LVANILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #107
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVANILLA View Post
FGT cost is crazy....

BTW, Cement is not water proof. The sealent is mixed w cement. Most prob yr contarctor put but nvr tell u

You also want to play koi arh ?
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #108
innovest_11
Dragon

What happen if the contractor never mix the sealent, will the pond leak if no sealent mixed with cement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVANILLA View Post
FGT cost is crazy....

innovest_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #109
innovest_11
Dragon

hi, saw your pond, really impressive, how do you bring the water to the filter? is it pump fed or gravity fed or there's bottom drain?

Quote:
My filter system:
Attachment 216344
1st Chamber

Attachment 216345
2nd Chamber

Attachment 216346
3rd Chamber

Attachment 216347
The 3 layer of customised "Bekki Shower"

Attachment 216348
The shower on Momotaro Bacteria House.
innovest_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #110
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
True, care to share yr secret?

Terence, I dun have any secret way.
I just monitor the growth rate, skin tone, and adjust the type of feed and amount of feed accordingly. Different people will adopt different ways of grooming.

Can u elaborate what u mean by "non-potential jumbo body structure"?

Some fish, with weak or smaller T-bone (the back should center bone), not high enough body, or very weak tail tube....their chances of growing jumbo will be very minimum.