Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
I emailed NEA about this and totally no reply .... champion.
Last time I wrote in (maybe 2006) I got the email from NEA website's contact us. They replied quite fast (less than a week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
if only they dun come in as an enforcement unit waiting to fine the household, people will be a lot more co-operative. And the way they act, like my recruit time corporal doing standby by bunk inspection, why wud i let them into my house.
Singapore gov gian png, everything use hardcore measures, FINE FINE FINE. Instead of encouraging pple, they penalize. Nothing else they are capable of.

And because some of these pple working there, thinks they are 'civil servants' they can yaya papaya. Just like some particular GLC. I remb the canteen stall operator telling us, the person whom came and told him to move, said e company very rich, dont want to rent to them. He was so pissed off (mild temper guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
My feel is that NEA guys go for easier to inspect areas.
I think they usually targets harder on dengue hot spots. These are areas that are in urgent need of attention and prevention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
They shld at least give one chance.
ie. First visit give a list of mozzie breeding location they found and destroy on the spot.
2nd visit if same spot, then kena fine.
This could be the better way? Any ideas?
Yes at least that is a friendlier approach and at the same time educate the house owner of his responsibility to help keep dengue low. Perhaps next time you write in, can include this to them.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #62
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Yes at least that is a friendlier approach and at the same time educate the house owner of his responsibility to help keep dengue low. Perhaps next time you write in, can include this to them.
will bring it up next dialog session with the "authority"
thanks
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #63
Aris
Arofanatic

That is the problem with their approach i.e., attempting to investigate residences as,

1. When the owners are not in, what can they do? Make an appointment and pay another visit?

2. Suppose the owners are a working couple and is not home during working hours?

3. If that is the case, then only those unlucky homes with maids or those whose family members always at home will be checked.

IMO, this is the wrong approach and they should do away with that. Another fact is that they are not consistent, as there were certain periods that they never appeared at all, or perhaps my family was away and no one was home. The last time I recalled them going to my home was more than a year ago, and there were a time they are at our doorstep practically every month.

Therefore making checks in our homes is not practical and a waste of manpower. NEA should do away with the checking of residences and instead check only the surrounding areas of the neighbourhood so as not to intrude on our privacy.

I don't know about how other people feel, but my Commander-In-Chief is the kind of woman who hates visitors coming into our home without giving prior notice as she is houseproud. She simply hates people seeing her home in disarray and if visitors are coming she will ensure the house is spick and span before they arrive.

Whether they are friendly or otherwise, the perception will be that they are checking for mosquitoes and if any larvae found, there will be either a warning or a fine. Tell me who likes these people to pay a visit with the possibility that there might be a breeding place that had been overlooked and these NEA guys found it? Obviously this makes owners hostile and NEA unwelcome.

I have a few ideas about resolving this but since they are willing to pay $5 million of taxpayers money to a foreign firm to help them, I will keep my thoughts to myself.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #64
stargazer
Dragon

At end of day, each resident got to ensure their hses not breeding grounds for mosquitoes. If their hse breed mosquitoes, then they be the first to kena themselves also.

Then NEA can focus on public areas.

But if Tampines is hotspot, what make it a hotspot?
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #65
byfun
Arofanatic

I think i send to NEA via the online feedback form.

Few months back also send before regarding recent increase of mosquito near my flat. That one send via NEA android app but also no reply or came to check or do fogging.

Last edited by byfun; 03-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #66
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
At end of day, each resident got to ensure their hses not breeding grounds for mosquitoes. If their hse breed mosquitoes, then they be the first to kena themselves also.

Then NEA can focus on public areas.

But if Tampines is hotspot, what make it a hotspot?
Asking the residents to ensure their place is not breeding is difficult as it is because some will and some cannot be bothered.

A hotspot occurs when several residents living in a particular neighbourhood (some living in the same block) got DHF at about the same time.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #67
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
I have a few ideas about resolving this but since they are willing to pay $5 million of taxpayers money to a foreign firm to help them, I will keep my thoughts to myself.
But but but... as long as dengue problem persist, they will be fighting it every year. $10mil is for 2yrs. Than comes Year 3, 4 and so on... so any good suggestions will help reduce future extravagant spending

I think, if they can find a break thru, using other ways to fight dengue, it may help. I was watching on CNA on how Penang fight waste/refuse and polluted rivers. They counter it using 3 types of good bacteria. The waterways have been effectively cleaned in the last few years. Thus, they counter a problem with a problem (good bacteria or whatever it's called)

Last edited by globalcookie; 03-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #68
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

My experience wif NEA high level people... many anti tis govt. Ha...
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #69
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
But but but... as long as dengue problem persist, they will be fighting it every year. $10mil is for 2yrs. Than comes Year 3, 4 and so on... so any good suggestions will help reduce future extravagant spending

I think, if they can find a break thru, using other ways to fight dengue, it may help. I was watching on CNA on how Penang fight waste/refuse and polluted rivers. They counter it using 3 types of good bacteria. The waterways have been effectively cleaned in the last few years. Thus, they counter a problem with a problem (good bacteria or whatever it's called)
I have dealt with NEA, NParks, DSO, MINDEF and other governmental organisations previously. It is not easy to penetrate into their market.

Anything we propose, they will ask us to do it and prove it before they agree to take on our ideas. Any good ideas they might also ask us to contact their sub-contractor/s. It's not easy to do business with then government.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #70
globalcookie
Dragon

Ok so your proposal is actually also a potential biz proposal. Not sure if you could approach any environment companies to sell your proposal. Not sure if such methods works in Singapore as it would in some countries.