Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #51
byfun
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
this tender dont think need to clean longkang
NEA has term contractors to do this.

may need to put up more than a few posters, TV ads etc
NEA though has contractors to do job but their contractors never did their job or just anyhow do and NEA also no monitor their contractors.

I have personally highlight a few area which i notice that the small open drainage was not clean even once in a month even though almost everyday i see the subcon workers coming to do cleaning. They did clean the main road but back alley small drain totally bo chap for months and choke and breed mosquito from what i saw.

I emailed NEA about this and totally no reply .... champion.

Now instead of engaging more temp/perm manpower to make sure their subcon do their jobs or take action about highlighted cases from members of public they choose to award a $5M contract for advertising.

Hopeless ... no wonder more and more Sporeans are skeptical of gov and their agencies.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #52
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
NEA though has contractors to do job but their contractors never did their job or just anyhow do and NEA also no monitor their contractors.

I have personally highlight a few area which i notice that the small open drainage was not clean even once in a month even though almost everyday i see the subcon workers coming to do cleaning. They did clean the main road but back alley small drain totally bo chap for months and choke and breed mosquito from what i saw.
my experience is different from yours.
Anyone else has experience with NEA to share?

I write in to them whenever required. At least last 10 years liao.
Since this is not in my NC area, I did not write in as NC.
They responded very fast.
==
I refer to your feedback dated 25 March 2013 concerning the above subject. We apologise for not replying to you earlier.

2 NEA carried out a joint-inspection with AVA on 12 April 2013. While we look into the public health aspect of the feedback, AVA will work with the relevant body to look into the issue.

3 Please contact our officer, Mr Alan Sim at XXXXX after 2.00 pm if you need any clarification. You may also email him at alan_sim@nea.gov.sg. Alternatively, you can also call NEA Contact Centre at 1800 2255 632.

4 Thank you.

Yours sincerely
====
Thank You for your email.

Please note we have ensured that the 10 plastic bags of garbage behind unit 1, Koon Seng Road have been removed.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the matter to us.

Should you need further clarification, please contact us at 1800 600 3333 or DPC@nea.gov.sg.

Thank you.
=====

Quote:
I emailed NEA about this and totally no reply .... champion.
which email did you write to?
and can you share your email?
Rude/etc emails willl generally be ignored.
As above, 2 emails last 2 months, both responded very quickly.

Quote:
Now instead of engaging more temp/perm manpower to make sure their subcon do their jobs or take action about highlighted cases from members of public they choose to award a $5M contract for advertising.

Hopeless ... no wonder more and more Sporeans are skeptical of gov and their agencies.
DHF is a very serious issue.
As the chart shows, this year the trend is pretty bad.
Last major outbread, 19 ppl died.
I am thankful for any extra that he agencies can do.

Last edited by richardg; 03-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #53
jwhtan
Barney

I kena fine $200 before ........ if only they dun come in as an enforcement unit waiting to fine the household, people will be a lot more co-operative. And the way they act, like my recruit time corporal doing standby by bunk inspection, why wud i let them into my house.

Told them to F off every time they come.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
stargazer
Dragon

My feel is that NEA guys go for easier to inspect areas. E.g. my blocks having lift upgrading program, so there are areas which are partitioned and they could not access due to lock. But I feel it is precisely these places where mosquitoes breeding take place. wondering if they will spot check such construction places?

2 weeks ago NEA officer knocked on my door. I told him lots of mosquitoes (1 night can get bitten many times). You know what the officer said? He said since the mosquitoes only come out at night, they are not dengue mosquitoes, so no worries!
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #55
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
I kena fine $200 before ........ if only they dun come in as an enforcement unit waiting to fine the household, people will be a lot more co-operative. And the way they act, like my recruit time corporal doing standby by bunk inspection, why wud i let them into my house.

Told them to F off every time they come.
ya , those enforcement kena complain many times liao
little bird dunno lastic

last time one came and told me in the face " i see larvae i fine u"
I never let them in again.

The way they enforce with fines is set for confrontation
After a couple of years, nobody will let them in without a court order.

They shld at least give one chance.
ie. First visit give a list of mozzie breeding location they found and destroy on the spot.
2nd visit if same spot, then kena fine.
This could be the better way? Any ideas?

Any other experience with NEA?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #56
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
My feel is that NEA guys go for easier to inspect areas. E.g. my blocks having lift upgrading program, so there are areas which are partitioned and they could not access due to lock. But I feel it is precisely these places where mosquitoes breeding take place. wondering if they will spot check such construction places?
was told in Tampines, they forced entry and found mozzie in the toilet bowl.
flat was unoccupied.

Quote:

2 weeks ago NEA officer knocked on my door. I told him lots of mosquitoes (1 night can get bitten many times). You know what the officer said? He said since the mosquitoes only come out at night, they are not dengue mosquitoes, so no worries!
this is what I was told too, dunno if true
but better be safe then sorry

hv try those mozzie coils?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
xersion
Dragon

for your fun reading

Factsheet on Dengue Fever

The facts of dengue fever and Aedes mosquito are for you to use during your talk and discussion.

• Do you know what dengue fever is?

Dengue Fever (DF) is an acute fever caused by dengue virus. Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) is a severe form of the disease in which internal bleeding occurs. DHF can kill.

• How is dengue fever transmitted?

The Aedes mosquito spreads dengue fever. When a female Aedes bites a person infected with the dengue virus, it picks up the virus. The infected mosquito will transmit the virus to the next person it bites and the victim may come down with dengue fever.

• What are the symptoms of dengue fever?

Usually, the first sign of dengue fever is a persistent fever. Other symptoms that may occur are muscle or joints pains, headache, loss of appetite, vomiting, facial flush and skin rash. Not all patients experience the same symptoms.

• If a person has had dengue fever, can he get the disease again?

There are four types of dengue viruses. They are Type 1, 2, 3 and 4. Infection by one type of dengue virus will make you immune against that particular type. However, you can still be infected by other three types.

• How can we prevent dengue fever?

There is presently no vaccine against dengue fever. The only way to stop it is to control the breeding of Aedes mosquito.

Factsheet on Aedes Mosquito

• What are the characteristics of the Aedes mosquito?

The Aedes mosquito is a domestic mosquito which bites during the day. It breeds in clean, cool, stagnant water. One distinct feature of the Aedes mosquito is the black and white strips on its body and legs.

• Can any Aedes mosquito transmit dengue?

Only female Aedes mosquitoes carrying the dengue virus can transmit the disease. Male mosquitos do not feed on blood.

• How can you get rid of the Aedes mosquito?

You can kill the adult mosquitoes by spraying insecticide. However, the most effective way to control them is to prevent them from breeding.

Get rid of standing water in receptacles found in and around the house. Examples of potential breeding grounds are flower vases, plant pot plates, water storage jars, pails, watering cans, discarded bottles, choked roof gutters, unused toilet bowls and cisterns and even tree holes and leaf axils.

Remember to look for water collecting in places that are not obvious. Mosquitoes are just as likely to be breeding there.

• How often must you check your home for mosquito breeding?

The eggs can develop into adults within 5 to 7 days. Therefore, you should check your home every other day.
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #58
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
flat was unoccupied.
Actually I think most of mosquitoes source comes from such unoccupied hses or areas under construction. Wonder if NEA keeps statistics of where the highest probability source of mosquitoes breeding...
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #59
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Actually I think most of mosquitoes source comes from such unoccupied hses or areas under construction. Wonder if NEA keeps statistics of where the highest probability source of mosquitoes breeding...
have been briefed by NEA before,
surprising highest is not construction sites
flower pot pans etc are the highest

think is because construction sites easy to gain access
and kena BIG fine.
so all "trained" liao
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #60
Guppies Onli
Dragon

For many months, my area here in Tampines NEW no come. But last time, always come and very friendly. Always same old person. Came even talk about my bettas, guppies..

Quote:
flat was unoccupied.

this is what I was told too, dunno if true
but better be safe then sorry

hv try those mozzie coils?
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote