Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 16-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
globalcookie
Dragon

I don't understand college debate. They prepare beforehand (so political) and gun away where half the time, they can't be heard or understood. That's what I seems to feel abt college debates

On the diverting attention. I think otherwise tho. The floods are very real, we are not the only countries facing that problem. He was quite upfront to rebut PUB on the choice of word (a spade is a spade). What I saw in that message abt drought is relevant to remind us, that is also another nature's call we can't control.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
mictok
Dragon

He is already overwhelm by flood problem now trying to tell us he cannot solve this problem because he worry he resolve it so well that we will turn out to be lack of water
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Drought in tropical singapore?....

According to NEA report... think once in a centuary thing. Ha... the last one i think 70s or something. Vivian so confident this few year can happen?... Stupid really.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
kepala sakit
Dragon

I think, this guy....still living in the past. Knnz, neber learn from the past mistake, still tryin to twist it way out. Imo, he'll not be so lucky tOKING kok if the recent few floods wud hv taken live.

I believered, the next monsoon will bring about more interesting challenge, cos the weather is gettin more adverse.

Last edited by kepala sakit; 16-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
dzylim
Arofanatic

I thought we have de-salination plants... so whats the big hoo haa about?
dzylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
hkh
Arofanatic

Think we are more worried of Malaysia shutting the supply then drought cos we will never get enough water to feed ourselves simply depending on the rainfall.......over the years we have built Newater plant to recycle waste water and dessalination plant to get fresh water from the sea.....so the drought issue is no longer a teething problem to us......please concentrate on the flood issue and make every cent well spent, just like the YOG....Bala......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Spakase

He can't really understand the flood problem, so just divert attention lor!
This one even small kids know how to do it, the way to stop kids from avoiding responsibility is to discipline them, no other way. Else they will never learn.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
He can't really understand the flood problem, so just divert attention lor!
This one even small kids know how to do it, the way to stop kids from avoiding responsibility is to discipline them, no other way. Else they will never learn.
Ask him to treat floods, he talks about draught.....

Ask him for more aids, he thinks they want to eat in restaurants......wake up la.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzylim View Post
We are not self sufficient yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
Think we are more worried of Malaysia shutting the supply then drought cos we will never get enough water to feed ourselves simply depending on the rainfall.......over the years we have built Newater plant to recycle waste water and dessalination plant to get fresh water from the sea.....so the drought issue is no longer a teething problem to us
Given the current relationship between the two countries, M'sia isn't likely to shut the tap on us.

Let's look at El Nino (too hot and dry) and La Nina (too cool and wet). We faced a lot of water these 2 years (La Nina). El Nino and La Nina comes one after another, either ways, and it occurs on average, every 5-10 years.

Given that we did had too much rainfall in these 2 years, the worry of El Nino is not unfound. If El Nino strikes, we will face prolonged dry spells and hot weather, causing the reserviours to start drying up, more bush fires, etc. This happened several times in modern history.

If El Nino happens in Singapore, Johor won't be spared (since we are geographically near). Our reserviour (water supply) in M'sia is in Johor, thus if those in Singapore dries up, those in Johor won't be spared much either. The problem is very real.

NEWater is currently providing up to 20% of Singapore's water needs, while Desalination plants are currently more providing for industrial use than for consumption. I am not sure if they have started pumping desalination water into reserviours (maybe they have). The Marina Reservour will only start providing water into our taps after a certain years (is it 2 or 5?). As such, our total water needs are still not sufficiently provided by our own reserviours and water filtration systems.

My views abv is not siding the Minister, nor trying to steer away. Just a pov of what I understand Singapore's water situation is currently. Frustration or unhappiness towards PAP and the above pov are not mixed. Just reasoning.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Kai198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzylim View Post
..a thought just cross my mind..maybe he spin so many yarns that he doesn't even know that we have de-salination plants..

wonder what values he bring that the Pinky is crowing about?

and does he deserves his millions?

i for one doubt so.