Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
hkh
Arofanatic

He is paid much more than the US president....who can understand the logic....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
loveikan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
He's being quiet even when in Office....so why want him to talk now when no one is paying him....let him RIP la....
Clap clap clap.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Spakase

Actually, it's not accurate to assume all Chairman goes to work once a month, my Chairman goes to work every day and comes back on weekends. It's a generalisation to make such a comment and it shows a lack of understanding.

Really cannot comprehend what he is trying to say. Does going to work everyday equates high pay and pensions? Everyone of us does that, some bring back their problems and this affects their family life and sleep and health. To be fair, a honest day's work does deserve a commensurate earning but the rate the P is paid is way above normal and noone in their right mind would agree that it is correct remuneration. To assume otherwise is really to think sg are all stupid and brainless people.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
Aris
Arofanatic

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/%E2%80%98i-...%E2%80%99.html

‘I have to ask the man up there to forgive me’

It was a question slipped in at the tail-end of a just over 20-minute interview with the media, but former president S R Nathan, surprisingly, didn’t turn it down.

It was a question about granting presidential pardons, during his 12-year term in office: Did he find it difficult and how did he feel about making that all-important judgement call?

He adopted a typical approach initially, detailing the process by which appeal cases for Singapore's prisoners on death row were brought up to him for review and to decide whether to grant a pardon from the gallows.

“The constitution clearly lays it down that I have to act on the advice of the cabinet, and the cabinet acts on the advice of the Attorney-General,” he said, explaining how the Attorney-General sifts through all the evidence available and makes a recommendation to the President.

“You have a right to question it… through the process, you determine whether all the facts have been taken into account, whether there’s anything that needs special consideration,” added the 87-year-old, who spoke across an unnecessarily-large conference table to a group of five reporters.

Nathan also explained that it is possible to seek an audience with the Attorney-General, and ask him to explain the case in more detail.

“In the submission, they can only make so much, but there is so much more beyond that. So that’s the process; I don’t want to get into the specifics,” he said.

This reporter probed further, though — and got a slightly warmer response.

The former president shared his thoughts about handling the task during his period of office, saying, “Of course it’s a difficult thing when it comes to the death penalty. It’s a matter of conscience. That’s the law… and you do your best to see that there is justice done.

“You are in no position to contradict the submission when you have not heard the case,” he continued with an increased degree of conviction, compared to his previous statement. “You can’t purely go on human emotions.”

It took a point-blank question to him about how he dealt with death-row appeals before he finally opened up.

“I have to ask the man up there to forgive me for what is done for the good of society,” he said, after a pregnant pause. “It doesn’t happen because we don’t like you. It happens because there are certain things that are done, and that’s the law, and there was a fair hearing.”

With 23-year-old Yong Vui Kong raised as one of the appeals he had to deal with during his time in office, Nathan seemed to add with a heavy heart, “A lot of emotion, a lot of families are involved… and especially in a drug case, think how many thousands will be affected.”

Singapore has not seen many presidential pardons in her time, with only six granted since independence, according to an Amnesty International report published in 1998, the year before Nathan took office as president for his first term.

The last known Singapore presidential pardon was granted by the late Ong Teng Cheong in June that year.

So it seems he has a conscience after all. Perhaps he could do nothing about allowing Yong Vui Kong a presidential pardon as it was a cabinet decision. He did not mentioned whether he did argue and that personally he felt it was a wrong decision. We also should not forget his role when he worked for the Japanese during the Occupation, or he knowingly accepted being paid the highest salary for 12 long years and the perks and bonuses.

Monies that could have made lives a little easier for the old folks having to collect empty cans, cardboard boxes or have to work clearing tables in food courts. I do not see a hint of sympathy he felt for the poor Singaporeans. Neither do I hear of any particular effort he did like donating towards a worthy cause. This I am sorry and hope like him, that the man up there will forgive him too for such lapses.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
stargazer
Dragon

The late Ong TC was much better than him. Dare to question, artisticaly talented and great love for his wife. Sad that he was not accord a state funeral when he passed on
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
“The constitution clearly lays it down that I have to act on the advice of the cabinet, and the cabinet acts on the advice of the Attorney-General,” he said, explaining how the Attorney-General sifts through all the evidence available and makes a recommendation to the President.

“You are in no position to contradict the submission when you have not heard the case,” he continued with an increased degree of conviction, compared to his previous statement. “You can’t purely go on human emotions.”

So it seems he has a conscience after all. Perhaps he could do nothing about allowing Yong Vui Kong a presidential pardon as it was a cabinet decision.
I used to not have much impression about him. Now, i despise him!!! He shd have just STFU! Why is he making known how incompetent he was, that he was a mere puppet, a man without his own stance, without the ability to deliver his powers bestowed upon Presidents??? He Failed in his role!

He has a conscience? LPah la! He could do nothing? Come on!!! He could hv insisted on do a pardon. Drugs ruin many families.... DIDN'T ISA break up many too?? Shd these pple behind it, be sentence to the same fate?

------------
Anyway, good for him to make it known what he was as a President. He is making more Singaporeans want to vote Opposition or NON-PAP endorsed President in future.

Back to my nasi brayni now

Last edited by globalcookie; 08-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Spakase

Quote:
The late Ong TC was much better than him. Dare to question, artisticaly talented and great love for his wife. Sad that he was not accord a state funeral when he passed on
A people's hero need not suck up to get that kind of pomp and majesty that is reserved for the three legged monsters.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
therat
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
state funeral does not mean has earn respect.

Late Ong TC didn't get state funeral but he earn our respect and will be remember by us for many many yrs.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #19
Kai198

layman term- prata man . flip flop and add some ghee..

no substance.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai198 View Post
layman term- prata man . flip flop and add some ghee..

no substance.
I rather read the Memoir of the Geisha than his.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote