Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 15-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #71
illumnae
Dragon

So after 2+ weeks of DSM, I got impatient. The main concern was the HC, which seems to have rooted already over the 2 weeks, so I came back to office on Saturday after ordering and collecting my stem plants and flooded the tank!

When cycling my tanks, I usually use Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II, which has always worked for me wonderfully. However, this time round, I ran out of it so I used leftover bacteria from my marine setup, which is supposed to work for freshwater too, plus leftover BW Bacter Crystals from my substrate set up. My substrate is supposed to be filled with bacteria by now anyway from the Bacter Crystals.

After about an hour of planting and setting everything up, here's what the tank looked like on Saturday evening:

I'm not really happy with the flow of the Shiruba XB303, though it is really really silent (quieter than Eheims in my opinion). I'll try shortening the hose length first (I got very long hose due to use of Eheim double taps), and if it doesn't work I have a spare 2215 at home I think I may use, or buy a new 2213, though the 2213 is only rated at 40 litres/hour more than the Shiruba, so I don't know if it'll be enough. Any thoughts?
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #72
illumnae
Dragon

Bubbles!

Old 15-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #73
beo

What about placing those inline CO2 diffuser to free up space since its a nano tank? Space is a premium…
Old 15-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #74
illumnae
Dragon

I did think of it, but it will cut down the flow noticeably. If I upgrade filters to an Eheim 2213 or 2215 I will consider using the boyu or ista inline diffuser.
Old 16-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #75
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
So after 2+ weeks of DSM, I got impatient. The main concern was the HC, which seems to have rooted already over the 2 weeks, so I came back to office on Saturday after ordering and collecting my stem plants and flooded the tank!

When cycling my tanks, I usually use Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II, which has always worked for me wonderfully. However, this time round, I ran out of it so I used leftover bacteria from my marine setup, which is supposed to work for freshwater too, plus leftover BW Bacter Crystals from my substrate set up. My substrate is supposed to be filled with bacteria by now anyway from the Bacter Crystals.

After about an hour of planting and setting everything up, here's what the tank looked like on Saturday evening:

I'm not really happy with the flow of the Shiruba XB303, though it is really really silent (quieter than Eheims in my opinion). I'll try shortening the hose length first (I got very long hose due to use of Eheim double taps), and if it doesn't work I have a spare 2215 at home I think I may use, or buy a new 2213, though the 2213 is only rated at 40 litres/hour more than the Shiruba, so I don't know if it'll be enough. Any thoughts?
Bro, 2213 for your Nano, IMO, is extreme overfiltration lah. Your current within the tank will be strong. I use the 2213 on my 1.5x1x1 and it's just right. Unless you intend to keep just planted alone. With your rock arrangement, much of your flow will be swirling around the rock formation. Seems stressful for the fish leh. Have to take into consideration your water volume also. With your decor and soil volume, not much water volume left. Space is premium, less space = less area for the current to disperse. My 2 cents, hope you don't mind.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #76
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro, 2213 for your Nano, IMO, is extreme overfiltration lah. Your current within the tank will be strong. I use the 2213 on my 1.5x1x1 and it's just right. Unless you intend to keep just planted alone. With your rock arrangement, much of your flow will be swirling around the rock formation. Seems stressful for the fish leh. Have to take into consideration your water volume also. With your decor and soil volume, not much water volume left. Space is premium, less space = less area for the current to disperse. My 2 cents, hope you don't mind.
Hi bro, of course I don't mind I post here is to ask the opinion of planted tank gurus like yourself and others here ma! Haha

The reason I was thinking about it is because I notice my CO2 bubbles being blown around, and the mainly swirl around the top and are not pushed to the bottom, which worries me as the CO2 mist doesn't travel throughout the tank, plus I'm afraid of dead spots towards the bottom of the tank. The mitigating factor is that my HC, which is found at the bottom of the tank, still pearls as per my previous photo.

Previously when I had a 1ft cube in my previous office, I used a 2213 and when I upgraded to a 45 x 30 x 36 I used a 2215 and in both cases I didn't get a whirlpool in the tank. Both tanks had similar amounts of soil and hardscape. However, I also do note that the Shiruba 303 has very similar flow rate to a 2213 (360L/hr vs 400L/hr) so spending $100+ may not increase the flow noticeably, just the amount of filter media.
Old 16-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #77
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

You can try placing your co2 diffuser below your lily pipe outlet to make use of the current to bring your co2 mist around. Alternatively, you can also try placing the co2 diffuser near your glass inlet, to let the co2 be sucked into your canister. The turbulence along the way can help to dissolve more co2 into the water column. Main thing is to find ways for the co2 bubbles to have more time to interact with the water column, to dissolve the co2 into the water.

On a positive note, your HC seems to have put out runners already... Always a good sign, that. Nice job. Now just need to sit back, relax, wait for the runners to spread.

Last edited by Jon-san; 16-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #78
illumnae
Dragon

Yup I noticed the runners and roots before I flooded the tank. Ended up no floating up of HC and no melting so far since I flooded it on Saturday.

Was at TB market for lunch today and dropped by Ben's place. Ended up buying some T. espei for the tank. I think my CO2 worries are unfounded. The T. espei were gasping at the surface and I had to net them from the tank, reduce bubble rate of Co2 and raise the lily pipe to increase surface agitation. Not sure how low I need to lower the CO2.

The flow is also really strong for the fish - Impression is that it's more than my previous Eheim 2213 on my 1ft cube. I'm impressed by this Shiruba.

I better drop by C328 tonight to get a 4dkh solution so I can measure my CO2 properly.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #79
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

i almost wanted to tell you to get a mini wavemaker if you find the flow too low.. damn too deep into marine!
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #80
sgslic
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
i almost wanted to tell you to get a mini wavemaker if you find the flow too low.. damn too deep into marine!
MP10? I find most wavemakers too powerful for nanos.
sgslic is offline   Reply With Quote