Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

Default Newbie

Been keeping fish for quite awhile now , always wanted to try keeping shrimps but didnt try.
So now gonner try a mini set up.
And start with the reputed "easiest keeping shrimp"
The cherry shrimps

Some question before I head down to buy the stuff
Would appreciate much if anyone would give advise
(Seldom been to this section In forum)

Okay was thinking of
1.5ft tank. - should I use those gex acrylic or fully glass ?

Filtration- was planning on 2 sponge filter , those can stick to the side one
And maybe a reliable hof( any suggestion)

Soil/ plants- is it a must ? Heard they bring down ph, but cherry prefer higher ph right ?
My plants will be mostly moss. (Java moss tied on dw and stones) and some java ferns / moss ball
Was thinking of planting some hair grass also though... So was wonder if hair grass can be planted in sand etc ? Or must it be soil.

As for the stones, they have been in my other tanks for quite some times , fishes have no problem. But when I was cleaning the tank the other day, and went to touch the rocks , they felt sandy on the surface. (When I bought it was smooth)
And there are brownish stains in the holes that can't be cleaned off.
Is it safe ? Should I use boiling water to clean the stones and dw ?

Washing of plants , can I use hot/ warm water to wash them?

Tank cover- do I need it ?

Corals- I think need to add some right ? For cherry shrimps

Shrimps- any reliable source ? Or anyone can guide on where to buy (via pm)
Would be great

For now that's about it. Anyone willing to advise ? Haha
Saw many photos in this forums , hand and mind also itchy Liao!
Thx in advance
whitechicks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
cheetf
Dragon

Been keeping fish for quite awhile now , always wanted to try keeping shrimps but didnt try.
The cherry shrimps

Firstly you have to change the mindset. Shrimps are rather sensitive and do not tolerate a lot of the fish keeping techniques that you are used to. Everything needs to be done in baby steps.

Okay was thinking of
1.5ft tank. - should I use those gex acrylic or fully glass ? Either is fine

And maybe a reliable hof( any suggestion) Maybe a combination of both?

Soil/ plants- is it a must ? Heard they bring down ph, but cherry prefer higher ph right ? Most of the baked soils do bring down the ph but this just balances the ph of our tap water which is rather high. Depending on how much soil you put inside the buffering qualities varies.

My plants will be mostly moss. (Java moss tied on dw and stones) and some java ferns / moss ball
Was thinking of planting some hair grass also though... So was wonder if hair grass can be planted in sand etc ? Or must it be soil.
If you are thinking of having a beautiful planted tank to keep shrimps, I suggest you do one or the other. It is a massive struggle to keep the balance. Sand is possible but there is a chance that it might raise the GH

As for the stones, they have been in my other tanks for quite some times , fishes have no problem. But when I was cleaning the tank the other day, and went to touch the rocks , they felt sandy on the surface. (When I bought it was smooth)
The major issue with stones is that there is a possibility that it might raise the GH of the water to the extent that moulting becomes a problem. Most shrimp tanks do not have stones for this reason.

Your plants must be sourced carefully, shrimps are a sensitive lot and die easily with the slightest trace of pesticides. It is recommended to soak them, not so much wash them. Unless you intend to blanch you plants to eat them I don't think hot water is ideal.

Tank cover- do I need it ? Don't think so, you want the tank to be cool. In our climate, together with the lights, it might help raise the water temperature.

If you mean coral chips, you can but too much will raise the PH of the water till a point that what ever you do you will not be able to bring it down again,

For now that's about it. Anyone willing to advise ? Haha Look in the stickies, much information there.

Have fun, welcome to the poison, one tank is normally not enough. Hahaha.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
sqwerc
Arofanatic

Agree with bro cheetf - shrimp keeping requires a different mindset. They are really sensitive, you may need to consider water temperature as well. I did not have any success without using a cooling fan with my cherry shrimp. Things got better after I shifted my tank into a cooler area of my home and left a cooling fan on for 24/7 to keep water temperature around 27-28 degrees.

The draw back of having a fan is the evaporation rate becomes super high. constantly topping up water is making my gH rise which can KO the shrimp if it goes too high!
sqwerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
The cherry shrimps

Firstly you have to change the mindset. Shrimps are rather sensitive and do not tolerate a lot of the fish keeping techniques that you are used to. Everything needs to be done in baby steps.

Okay was thinking of
1.5ft tank. - should I use those gex acrylic or fully glass ? Either is fine

And maybe a reliable hof( any suggestion) Maybe a combination of both?

Soil/ plants- is it a must ? Heard they bring down ph, but cherry prefer higher ph right ? Most of the baked soils do bring down the ph but this just balances the ph of our tap water which is rather high. Depending on how much soil you put inside the buffering qualities varies.

If you are thinking of having a beautiful planted tank to keep shrimps, I suggest you do one or the other. It is a massive struggle to keep the balance. Sand is possible but there is a chance that it might raise the GH

The major issue with stones is that there is a possibility that it might raise the GH of the water to the extent that moulting becomes a problem. Most shrimp tanks do not have stones for this reason.

Your plants must be sourced carefully, shrimps are a sensitive lot and die easily with the slightest trace of pesticides. It is recommended to soak them, not so much wash them. Unless you intend to blanch you plants to eat them I don't think hot water is ideal.

Tank cover- do I need it ? Don't think so, you want the tank to be cool. In our climate, together with the lights, it might help raise the water temperature.

If you mean coral chips, you can but too much will raise the PH of the water till a point that what ever you do you will not be able to bring it down again,

For now that's about it. Anyone willing to advise ? Haha Look in the stickies, much information there.

Have fun, welcome to the poison, one tank is normally not enough. Hahaha.

Thanks both bro the quick reply , I know shrimp keeping is more sensitive , that's why I wanted to asked as much info as possible before I start step one
Haha .

Just to clarify , for plants I wanted only hair grass for base . The rest will just be moss. I understand that moss require very little to survive but for hair grass I am not so sure .

I saw some post abt damelfy nymph ... So scary... That's why abit reluctant to buy more plants , I guess java moss should be safe ?
I saw them pack in containers covered.

Do soil come in smaller packs ? C328 or y618 got sell?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
sgslic
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechicks7 View Post
Thanks both bro the quick reply , I know shrimp keeping is more sensitive , that's why I wanted to asked as much info as possible before I start step one
Haha .

Just to clarify , for plants I wanted only hair grass for base . The rest will just be moss. I understand that moss require very little to survive but for hair grass I am not so sure .

I saw some post abt damelfy nymph ... So scary... That's why abit reluctant to buy more plants , I guess java moss should be safe ?

Y618 got sell seperated packs of amazonia II.
I got half a pack from them once.
sgslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgslic View Post
Y618 got sell seperated packs of amazonia II.
I got half a pack from them once.
Bro mind pm me price ?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Haha .

Hairgrass should be okay but you need at least some fert based soil like ADA amazonia. Moss needs cool water to thrive, moss grown in warm water looks terrible!

Java moss is a good candidate. You don't need that much to start.
Covered packs does not mean no damselfly nymphs, you still have to keep a good look out.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

tank looks very dark... very hard to spot the shrimps..
any advise ?

manage to spot one
Old 14-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:

tank looks very dark... very hard to spot the shrimps..
any advise ?

manage to spot one
Use stronger light then. Problem solved
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Use stronger light then. Problem solved
Any specific brand ?
Led better right as it does not produce much heat.

Fan wise I bought ans cooling fan 1000.
Don't know good or not..