Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 15-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #21
Anthen
Dragon

Quote:
Anthen, are you keeping only GF?
square_guy: yar i keep 3 ryukin and oranda..
i using chemical carbon to neutralise the water.. so shouldn'e be a problem.. and havne been using this for few months liao.. fish in a healthy state..
Anthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #22
square_guy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthen
yar i keep 3 ryukin and oranda..
i
i think u missed my point.
square_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 02:07 PM   #23
Anthen
Dragon

Quote:
The main reason some of us are changing 90~100% is because of nitrate.
u mean this one??
Old 15-11-2003, 06:21 PM   #24
dragonfly_sg

Default Goldfish are hardy fish.

Quote:
wow, how come u all change so much water to 90%.. then temperature, ph else.. will sure drop drastically mah.. i always change to 20% per wk..
Actually "healthy" goldfish are very hardy fish leh Temp is not so much of a worry as the temp of my tap water at night is almost same as my tank. pH is balance by Sodium Bicarbonate ( Baking Soda ) if need be. So I usually have no problem with 90 or 100% water change
Old 15-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #25
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally posted by square_guy
Anthen, are you keeping only GF?

The main reason some of us are changing 90~100% is because of nitrate.
Thanks pal, good you brought this up, I wasn't specific again ...... bad habit

My tanks are all cycle so no Ammonia and Nitirite, so baring a pH crash I usually change water because of high nitrate.
Old 15-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #26
dragonfly_sg

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gf dying

Quote:
Originally posted by NLB
The ph does have an effect on the ion exchange and so determine the balance of ammonia/ammonium in the aquaeous solution. But if there is only 1mg of ammonia/ammonium, does it really matters if 99% of it is ammonia? May be it is good to go through your notes again this weekend.
This is very true. Which means that only in a cycle tank can someone raise to pH 8 easily. If not they would have to spend a substantial amount of time changing water when Ammonia rise.
Old 15-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #27
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
square_guy: yar i keep 3 ryukin and oranda..
i using chemical carbon to neutralise the water.. so shouldn'e be a problem.. and havne been using this for few months liao.. fish in a healthy state..
sorry but think I miss something, is your chemical carbon refering to those packet of activated carbon ? If so, I doubt they will help you with Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. Or do they ?

Only substance I know that can temporary reduce Ammonia is Zeolite.

Anthen, do note that active carbon has an effective life span which within it will remove odour and some toxic stuff. Once the effective period is over, the carbon will leach it back to the water.
Old 15-11-2003, 06:51 PM   #28
miracleman

everyone... pls hope i strike 4d tonite.. i'll buy a nice nice 4ft to house my gf.. and i'll get more stuff to improve the health of my gf.. and get a better filter as well.. one more gf died.. this time an oranda.. need to go to serangoon north soon again.. hehe.. the gf seem to be improving slowly.. now they are gaining their appetite again.. however, the water is cloudy.. shall go and change mebbe on monday.. btw.. i use my shower water source to change water.. as in i connect the hose to it.. then there the temp can control one.. so i make it to the coolest.. cuz that's the temp in my tank.. thats fine rite? gf usually do better in warmer or cooler water?
Old 15-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #29
Anthen
Dragon

Quote:
sorry but think I miss something, is your chemical carbon refering to those packet of activated carbon ? If so, I doubt they will help you with Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. Or do they ?
yar.. i use activated carbon.. i know it got a period of time.. so everytime u use up to 4 mths, i change it again.. i even have friend who use only the charcoal in the filter.. and same results.. so strange..
Old 16-11-2003, 10:36 PM   #30
square_guy
Arofanatic

Quote:
u mean this one??
yup.

btw, u r using charcoal constantly? i just learnt that it may also absorb trace minerals in the tap water which may be essential for goldfish growth.

i personally do not use charcaol as a habit. if i really want to use it, i'll just use it right after water change, then remove.
square_guy is offline   Reply With Quote