Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #11
vtmc

It's usually 10 pounds a gallon. Using the AF calculator figure it out.

Old 21-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
jameslow

I need to submit my application to the HDB Branch Office managing our flat, stating the size, type, weight and location of the fish tank to see if we can put big n heavy tank in our house....

does this application need any fee???

Old 06-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #13
vinz
Arofanatic

I know someone who applied for a permit for a 6'x2.5'x2.5'. He got it after his contractor and HDB bounced the application back and forth a few times. Actually, he is in this forum... maybe I'll PM him to comment.

HDB's main concern is the weight distribution and location. The stand has to be able to spread the weight of the tank out and the tank must be located near a support beam. If you can satisfy those requirements, they will give you the permit.

At least for you guys in HDB, there are clear rules. Apartments in private condos are subject to random inspection by BSA every 5 years or so, and so far I've not been able to find any clear rules stating the requirements. My friend suay suay kenna and he has two 4x2x2 tanks in his living room. The inspector told him must remove one. In the end my friend spent a few $K getting an engineering company to do some tests to prove that his tanks are not stressing the building.

OTOH, I also suay suay kenna myself recently (in my case all kenna inspection, not random, maybe because we're near the circle line construction)... I have one 6'x2'x2' and two 3.3'x1.5'x1.5' in my living room and the inspector did not say anything. It's been a few months, and I have not gotten any letters from BSA, so I think good chance I got away with it.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
Kim Leng

Application is free......

You need to submit drawings....like Vinz said, what is important is that the location should be hear a beam...(not in the middle of the room for example)

The stand should spread the weight out (base is not legs but a "Frame")

Between the top and lower "frames" I needed eight legs (4 in front and 4 behind) Hope you get what I am saying.

You need to state the material used for the stand and the thickness... Mine was 2 inch S/S square tubing.....

Drawings to show location of tank in the house.

After some ding donging back and forth...got my approval.....for a 6 by 2.5 by 2.5 ft tank...hope this helps

Old 08-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Winter Sonata

so for HDB masionette, i put a FGT measuring 5x3x2.5 can anot?
(half filled water or perhapz max of 60% filled)

balcony area against 1 corner?

Old 19-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #16
dragon_ng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Leng
Application is free......

You need to submit drawings....like Vinz said, what is important is that the location should be hear a beam...(not in the middle of the room for example)

The stand should spread the weight out (base is not legs but a "Frame")

Between the top and lower "frames" I needed eight legs (4 in front and 4 behind) Hope you get what I am saying.

You need to state the material used for the stand and the thickness... Mine was 2 inch S/S square tubing.....

Drawings to show location of tank in the house.

After some ding donging back and forth...got my approval.....for a 6 by 2.5 by 2.5 ft tank...hope this helps
Just submit my this afternoon, need to wait for 3 weeks to get the answer, hope can get approval so can rest my heart to keep my RTG in 5x2x2 dream home.

If rejected then how ha?
Old 23-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
dragon_ng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_ng
Just submit my this afternoon, need to wait for 3 weeks to get the answer, hope can get approval so can rest my heart to keep my RTG in 5x2x2 dream home.

If rejected then how ha?

Received a call from HDB this morning asking me if I apply to put a tank in my house , I answer yes then she said she will submit the form to HQ for further process, ask her when I can know the result then she ask me to wait but will process ASAP, still waiting...
Old 28-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #18
dragon_ng
Dragon

Received a call from the same lady officer that my application has been approved, so excited and now waiting for the letter from HDB with procedure to follow.

Will contact the tank maker once get the letter...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #19
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_ng
Received the letter from HDB, one condition is there should not have any other tank beside the new 5x2x2 in living hall, so what to do with my 2 tier 3 feet tank and those lovely discus ? Also need to cycle the 5' tank before I can xfer the RTG in, need to discuss with HDB again...
The key word here is beside the new tank only. You can place your tanks on the opposite site temporaily until your new tank is fully cycled. BTW, I think should not have problem as long as you are placing the existing tanks not beside the new tank can liao.

Anyway, do keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:31 AM   #20
DarrC

Hi,

I intend to set up a 4ft partition tank along my living room. However it is of rectangular shape (10x3m) and I don't think there's any beam running across the living room (I haven't collect keys). Can I still set up the partition tank or must I place it against the wall? I have attached a schematic for understanding.

My understanding is that tanks HDB allows without any permit refers to those placed against a wall. I have seen people knock down partial walls to accommodate a tank, pardon my ignorance but in this case won't the upper floors be pressing down on the tank? Even though the tank itself is resting on the walls below....

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: gif marine tank floorplan.ppt.gif (2.8 KB, 1207 views)