Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 08-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
nim75sg

Default Salifert Carbon Test Kit

And finally this toy which is almost a "must" for reefers who use GAC as chemical filtration to verify the effectiveness of the GAC instead of estimating the timeframe to replace it.

IMO, all GACs are able to perform but effectiveness varies among the different brands in the forms of pellets, coconut based carbon, bituminous coal and lignite based carbons.

But GAC available in the market varies considerably in price, but price is a poor predictor of effectiveness as some of the least expensive GACs outperformed those GACs costing nearly three times as much.

So how do you know the whether it is time to replace your GAC before Dr Murphy creeps in?

From past experience, I replaced the carbon in the filter bag every 4 weeks but not anymore with this test kit. Back then, I was "throwing" alot of dollars into the waste bin when in fact the GAC was only 50% effective insteading of 0%.

IMO, if one is using inexpensive carbon then it is cost effective just to replace the media then taking the trouble of testing it.

However if you are using carbon eg Rowa, HydroCarbon-2, etc then it is worth investing in this test kit.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
nim75sg

What I did was taking some GAC from a media bag and test it to see how effective it was after 4 weeks of usage.

To my surprise after 3 drops of the regent dye and stirring it after every drop, the carbon was still able to absord the dye ie the water in the vial is slightly bluish.

This meant that the carbon is 50% effective which I presumed was time to replace. What an idiot.

Here is a pic:
Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
nim75sg

Another two weeks later (now 6 weeks), took a similar amount of GAC from the filter bag and repeat the test.

This time, the first drop of the regent into the vail remains unchanged after many times of stirring. This meant that the GAC is no longer effective at all.

Time for replacement ...

Here is a pic of the same media after 6 weeks:
Old 08-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
nim75sg

To proof how effective the GAC, a similar amount was taken from the container and placed into the vail.

After the maximum 5 drops of the regent dye were added to the test vail with each drop stirring to ensure even distribution, the water turned colorless or in this case, slightly "black" due to carbon dust.

This was repeated until 5 drops of dye were added and here is the pic:
Old 08-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
nim75sg

Spending S$18 (inclusive of shipping) is definitely a good buy considering the cost of a litre of HydroCarbon-2 or Rowa Carbon.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
spsman

Default 3 cheers

for bro ken.

always willing to share. and many new equipments and stuff too. good work brother. enjoy your threads.
Old 15-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
klim

Ken, when are you going to publish a book on MF keeping?

With all the gadgets, experience, it would be a book for all MF starter. It could include how to start cheap/extravagant, where to source and etc.

Cheers.
Old 16-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
nim75sg

Bro Kelvin ..... there isn't a blip on my radar screen yet regarding your suggestion and firmly believe that there are many experience reefers who has authority on this topic due to their years of experience.
Old 16-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsman
for bro ken.

always willing to share. and many new equipments and stuff too. good work brother. enjoy your threads.
Cheers for u bro n many thanks for your time bro Ken.Next time beer n green fees on me.
Old 17-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #10
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipccc
Cheers for u bro n many thanks for your time bro Ken. Next time beer n green fees on me.
You play golf too?