Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 28-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
nim75sg

Default Tap Water Filter

Have been using this TWP for about a month after getting this from PetMart at S$85.

The unit came with all the necessary gadgets or fittings plus a bottle of 'electro right' and pH-adjuster for restoring minerals and adjusting the pH to the required level for tropical fish keepers.

The replacement cartridge goes for S$45.

The unit is easy to use and can be quickly connected or discconnected from the tap. In short it is idiot-proof!

Simply adjust the flow as slow as possible otherwise the green resins are forced out of the cartridge.

Likewise, you must install the "spring" otherwise it will not works as the pressure of the wate forces the resins out of the cartridge.

The TWP removes all minerals including heavy metals, algae-promoting nutrients such as phosphate and silicate, pesticides and organic pollutants, chlorine and chloramine and others.

According to the manual, the TWP should produce about 600 litres of pure water per cartridge depending on the mineral contents of the water in your area or supply source.

Pros
1) Easy to install and use
2) Use only small amount of pure water and don't want to use RO unit
3) You want to use the TWP to purify water further from a basic RO unit

Cons
1) Not economical solution if need alot of pure water as the cost per litre is high ie 7.5 cts based on the assumption that you get 600 litres.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
nim75sg

Here is another pic showing the connection from a common water tap to the TWP.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
nim75sg

Finally the whole setup which takes about 45 mins to fill up this container.
Old 28-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
spsman

Default that is sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
i am getting a unit too. looks fun.
Old 28-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
monsterz1975

Quote:
Wow Ken to fill up ur tank got to wait 1 whole day?
Old 28-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #6
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Wow Ken to fill up ur tank got to wait 1 whole day?
Ya lor and that's why using this pure water only for top-up reservoir in conjunction with my CaribSea AragaMight.

For the new tank, just use water straight from the tap follow by EasyLife dosage after adding marine salt.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
monsterz1975

Quote:
Ya lor and that's why using this pure water only for top-up reservoir in conjunction with my CaribSea AragaMight.

For the new tank, just use water straight from the tap follow by EasyLife dosage after adding marine salt.
Ken post pic leh. Ur new tank
Old 28-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
Ekia

I personally find that the TWP isn't really worth it. Sealife's DIY De-ioniser cost $75 and replacement cost $50 and last up to 1000litres(not sure about that). If it can last for 1000 litres, it would be more wise to invest on the Sealife's De-ioniser. I tested the TDS at about 200 litres and it shows 0.

For long term, I would suggest Apures De-ioniser sold by Marine Life. Initial cost is $299 and replacement is $88. It can treat up to 4500l! You can do the maths youself.

nim75sg: Just my personal opinion, hope you dun mind
Old 29-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
I personally find that the TWP isn't really worth it. Sealife's DIY De-ioniser cost $75 and replacement cost $50 and last up to 1000litres(not sure about that). If it can last for 1000 litres, it would be more wise to invest on the Sealife's De-ioniser. I tested the TDS at about 200 litres and it shows 0.

For long term, I would suggest Apures De-ioniser sold by Marine Life. Initial cost is $299 and replacement is $88. It can treat up to 4500l! You can do the maths youself.

nim75sg: Just my personal opinion, hope you dun mind
Just found the DI cartridge $50+ from CUNO Aquapure so is it worth to DIY?
Old 29-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Just found the DI cartridge $50+ from CUNO Aquapure so is it worth to DIY?
Definitely... but is it in catridge form or resin form? I was told that cartridge form isn't that effective. If it's in resin form... u can DIY a tube/container for water to pass thru...