Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 07-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #11
ST1100
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzcris
Bro...
I've bred crickets before and errmmm...
yah neighbours compained. Bred them in a two feet tank used almost the same method you mentioned. One thing different is that I do not place water dish instead I wet some toilet paper and place it in every few days I wet it again. Works pretty well.

Anyway I think I had easily a thousand or more crickets after a period of 3-4 months. Simply amazing. Oh and the soil will start to stink like shit. I had problems with changing the soil and not throwing away the baby crickets as well... too many to catch them all also... end up always sacrificing at least 50% of my brood.

Also do you have problems with mites infesting your crickets? It occurred slightly after I fed them with apples. Subsequently mites appeared whenever I over fed the crickets.

No big deal but simply gross to see so many of them.
Anyway I dun breed them as I no longer need them.
But for the rest of you... from experience, the noise of the crickets can be pretty ermmm...fantastic lah. A thousand crickets for me at that time can't remember how many decibels.

Good luck.

Anyone wanna know how to breed mealworms as well? Hahaha...

I don't feed them apple or any kind of fruits anymore and I avoid over feeding them with fish pellet...that is why my soil don't smell. Your problem with mites came about becos the fruits and the left over food (from your over feeding) started to rot and that is why your tank smell. It is the same thing as over feeding your fishes, the left over food in your tank will start to rot, parasite will start to multiply and your water will start to smell.

But once the soil smell and the mites start to multiply at an alarming rate, it would be advisable to change the soil. Losing your baby crickets in the process is inevitable but rest assure that they will start to multiply again in the new soil.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #12
Ryan Red
Senior Dragon

bro is potting soil same to burn soil? let me know please.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
pcc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Red
Actually top soil at $2 per packet from the nursery will do. Am I correct?
Otherwise, burnt it to get burn soil but don't get caught for causing haze in your are lah!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:40 AM   #14
ST1100
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Red
Potting soil I'm not to sure cosz some of them comes with fertilizer and chemical which are harmful to the crickets. You better check with the nursey before you buy them.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 AM   #15
ST1100
Arofanatic

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc
Actually top soil at $2 per packet from the nursery will do. Am I correct?
Otherwise, burnt it to get burn soil but don't get caught for causing haze in your are lah!
I believe that the so called Burn soil found locally are actually top soil cosz the actual Burn soil are very expensive and I doubt any of our local nursey carrys them. Whether it is top soil or burn soil, it doesn't really matter so long as it is free of chemical and fertilizer.
Old 28-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #16
NgoaLong

Hey, I just want to let you this is work and save me lots of $$$. I live in the US and crickets or superworms are expensive, cost 10 cents each and my aro take at around 20 of them per days.

Order online is cheaper but you end up pay overnight shipping is the same price you buy at Petco. So I follow this instruction here and it work. About the soil, coudn't find one so I take the dirt from backyard put it in and it do the job.

Way to keep the noise down: put in a big container on the backyard & cover it up, or feed your aro with young cricket so it don't have chance to make noise.

I'm on the second batch now.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
MacD

Am breeding crickets too but in 6ft by 2ft box. Insted of egg trays, i use different size of pvc pipes bundled up. Easier to harvest the crickets rather than shaking up the egg trays. As for water, i use a shallow dish with sponge in them. I add some liquid vitamins to the water to pump the crickets up. Seems to be doing fine. When baby crickets hatch, i move the bigger crickets to another tank as the adult tend to eat the young when there's not enough food.
Like every1 says, they're really noisy. Lucky for me, i have some thai helpers that help me look after the crickets. In return..ahem.. they get to keep some of the harvest fo4r them self. Er.. they actually eat the crickets ah! hehe..