Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #71
Sunday
Dragon

Your mini fissidens is really nice!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #72
james_neo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot1989 View Post
Very nice. Using chiller ? I like the bogwood setup.
Thanks bro. Non-chiller tank actually. Include some information for mini fissiden as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Your mini fissidens is really nice!
Thanks bro.

Information on Mini Fissiden

A miniture version of the normal US Fissiden fontanus originates from USA. It is truely aquatic and rooted readily to driftwood/bogwood after a while. The mini fissiden leaves are very small in size, slow growing and is commonly used to cover driftwood/bogwood to create a natural aquarium landscape ie. Nature scenery landscape. One of the advantages of this fissiden plant is it doesn’t require frequent re-tying or trimming unlike moss. Basically, it is virtually maintenance free for a year or so once the fissiden are rooted to the driftwood/bogwood.

Common queries on my tank's cultivation setup/ and parameters:
[Transfer and scape for 2 feet tanks once they are matured.]

a. Tank size- 4 feet
b. Tank water's temperature – 27 to 29 deg Celsius depending on day to day ambient temperature. Uses 1 Fan only.
c. Lighting system- DIY normal PL light with e-ballast, 8hours/day
d. C02- Yes, about 1 bubble per second
e. Can Mini fissiden survive without C02? Yes, with C02, it grow faster. Without C02, growth is slower
f. Did you use a chiller? No- see (b)
g. Do you dose any fertilisers? No - Mini Fissidens are low maintenance plant. Too much fertiliser/nutrients in the water will cause their leaves to turn brown/black.
h. What other plants do you keep? Bolbiltis, Needle leaves java fern, Trident Java fern and petite nana. Very seldom I’ll post these plants up for sale as their growth rate is slow. Only once in a while it is available.
james_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #73
ivan

your mini fissiden is really swee swee
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #74
ciaossu

hey just a question how do you maintain your needle fern, i had mine for about 6months already still not growing and recently started to turn black i'm not using CO2 though.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #75
james_neo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
your mini fissiden is really swee swee
Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaossu View Post
hey just a question how do you maintain your needle fern, i had mine for about 6months already still not growing and recently started to turn black i'm not using CO2 though.
Needle fern is quite a easy and low maintenance plants. I just plant them under the frogbits. They really like shade. On the contrary, those that are under direct light turns brownish or died off after that. The needdle leaves already in this tank for 1 year plus. Bought a few bunches of them and they reproduced till the whole tank.
LFS sell them in a small plastic contaniner with about 8 to 12 leaves.
and is quite ex. as compare to other plants.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #76
ivan

just realised, you dont use any substrate in your tanks?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #77
james_neo
Arofanatic

Quote:
just realised, you dont use any substrate in your tanks?
Yes, no substrate as i not planting any rooted plants for some reasons.

1) I feel there's no flexibility to change the tank scape if plants are rooted into the substrate. I can change the scape any time of the year without disturbing the tank cycle.

2) Hassle to have substrate. ADA and GEX soil break down (turn into powdery form after a year plus or so depending on how often you disturb the substrate). Thus, may need to overhual the tank. If substrate need to be used, i go for lapis.

3) No need to take note of base fertiliser or substrate fertiliser.

4) Stem plants (rooted plants) grow very fast. Required very frequent pruning/ trimming. I'm using all low maintenance plants, slow growth which do not required substrate ie. Fissiden, Min Fissideb, Bolbitis, Needle leaves, Petite nana

5) If you observe cultivating of plants from fish/plants farm, did they used ADA or GEX? It's more for asthetics reason. But i do agree some higher requirements plants ie. HC, repens, GuJing, required these substrate to grow well. It's a matter of choice.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #78
ivan

thanks for your advice. was thinking of restarting my tank, going to try it without substrate
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #79
ivan

how would you grow stem plants (rooted plants) without the substrate then? tie them down on to df or rocks?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #80
james_neo
Arofanatic

Quote:
how would you grow stem plants (rooted plants) without the substrate then? tie them down on to df or rocks?
You cant tie stem plants to rocks or woods, their roots will rot.

Stem plants are background plants.
Usually they are sold in small plastic cup with wools on it. you could just placed their them at the back of the tank (with the cup and wools still intact). Try hiding the cup behind driftwoods or rocks.

Thanks to other bros who get plants from me.
Hope you like them. Happy planting.