Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > Species Profiles & Resources

Old 23-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Kaz

Default Species Profile: Herichthys carpinte

Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Perciformes
Family: Cichlidae
Genus: Herichthys
Species: Herichthys carpinte
Common Name: Green Texas Cichlid
Distribution: Central America, Northern Mexico
Minimum Tank Size: A single fish requires at least a 3ft tank, while a 4ft tank would be adequate for a bonded pair.
Temperament: This species is considered semi-aggressive, similar to Green Terrors, Jack Dempseys, and most Vieja species. However, male H. carpinte can hold their own against more aggressive cichlids such as Parachromis managuensis (Jaguar).
Suitable Tankmates: As has been mentioned above, Green Terrors, Jack Dempseys, and most Vieja species are about as aggressive as H. carpinte, and so are suitable tankmates. Nevertheless, this species can be kept with more aggressive cichlids in a large cichlid community in a very large tank (6ft or more).
Maximum Adult Length: Although seldom, males can attain a maximum length of 10", and females 8".
Water Conditions: Highly adaptable and resilient, H. carpinte can do well in a wide range of water conditions, as long as extremes are avoided. Ideally, pH should be 7.0 - 8.2, because this species is found in alkaline lakes and ponds in the wild. However, 6.0 - 8.5 is acceptable. This species tolerates temperatures ranging from 22C - 29C.
Sexual Dimorphism: Females possess a conspicuous black blotch on the dorsal fin, while males don't, and also reach a smaller maximum size.
Breeding: The couple clean a smooth surface (usually a rock) before the female lays her eggs there. Afterwards, the male will fertilize them. About 48 hours later, the eggs will be almost transparent and you will see black 'eyes' inside. If the eggs are still white, they are unfertilized. Once the eggs hatch, the parents will move them to pits dug in the gravel. Later, when the babies become free-swimming, they leave the pits and swim in a shoal near the parents. Free-swimming fry can be fed on very fine powdered flake and brine shrimp nauplii. Powdered egg yolk is a great food too as it's VERY high in protein. Microworms are another alternative. When in breeding colouration, both parents turn a dark, almost black colour with the exception of a right-angle triangular spot behind the pectoral fin.
Feeding: H. carpinte is an omnivore and some vegetable matter is required in the diet.
Old 23-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Kaz

Something I would like to add:

Personal Experiences: I have kept the Green Texas (it's a misleading name) twice - earlier in June and now - and I find that this is a perfect beginner's cichlid. They are not fussy about food, not fussy about pH (nevertheless, ammonia and nitrite levels must still be kept in check), outgoing and easy to breed. In June I bought six 2" Carpinte from C328 and put them in my 2ft (60x30x45) tank. Within 3 weeks, a pair had formed. They spawned the following week. Sadly I sold the pair and all their fry to bro prestontan....you may find it silly but I bought ten more 1.5" carpinte a few days ago just to breed them again! Breeding cichlids is a fascinating experience. The amount of parental care is amazing. If you don't believe me, buy a group of juvenile cichlids and find out for yourself!

NOTE: The common name of this species is a misnomer. Herichthys carpinte does not occur naturally in Texas.
Old 24-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
samuelmok
Arofanatic

think its better to post a pics togehter with your species profile.
Very nice information. ty
samuelmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
HuttShun
Dragon

Say, can these cichlids be commed together with arowana?

Really fascinated by the blue colouration of these fishes. And it would be nice to add one to my tank. Already had a bad experience with my ex-oscars ganging up against my aro last time.
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
Say, can these cichlids be commed together with arowana?

Really fascinated by the blue colouration of these fishes. And it would be nice to add one to my tank. Already had a bad experience with my ex-oscars ganging up against my aro last time.
In a large enough tank, yes. Just make sure the aro's mouth isn't big enough to fit the carpinte. The carpinte is unlikely to make trouble for the aro since they stay in different water levels. However, they breed rather readily, and if you do get a pair, the other fishes in the tank will be in danger.
Old 25-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Kaz

Here are a couple of pics of my previous Herichthys carpinte pair (now sold).
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmpedited2.bmp (43.1 KB, 1448 views)
File Type: bmp untitled2.bmp (43.1 KB, 1263 views)