Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 25-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
Mr. Tay
Dragon

Wish you all the best this time round.
Mr. Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tay View Post
Wish you all the best this time round.
Thank you! I appreciate it.

Will be keeping all updated on the progress!
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
tuang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post

Guess besides the space/tank limitations, I'm also using this opportunity to see what is the survival rate of the discus fry in a planted tank environment.
great! keep us updated. i m also very interested to know the survival rate in a planted tank.
tuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuang View Post
great! keep us updated. i m also very interested to know the survival rate in a planted tank.
Thanks for your interests! Here are some updates:

More wigglers were seen this time round, after the parents shifted the hatched eggs from the filter inlet pipe over to the same driftwood as the previous spawn:

Just as I was enthusastically awaiting for the free-swimming fry after returning to work yesterday, I was saddened to discover all the fry had been eaten up by the parents again. There could not be other possibilities behind their disappearances since no other fish could access the breeding area, filter inlet had been covered with sponge, and no dead bodies found while siphoning.

I suspect it was either: (1) the inexperienced parents (though it's their 4th spawn) or (2) the 'threat' they felt when seeing the other fishes on the other side of the divider (though they would have never been able to pass through), that caused the parents to eat up the fry. They had been well fed so I doubt it was just due to hunger.

As a result, I decided to follow the advices of some bros here and removed the three discus from the grow-out tank, and transferred the parents into it instead:

Hopefully with their private suite, they will find more at ease for their next spawn and not swallow their offsprings again.

Still need to go buy a breeding cone first though... May I know is the coned-shape or the rectangular-shaped breeding cone is better? Personally I like the look of the latter better, though not sure of its effectiveness.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #35
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Your new solo setup for the pair looks good, next time can use simple black sponge also can. As for cone wise, you can choose anything you like, as long as you happy. Some breeders even have no cones and let their pairs lay eggs on the wall.

Another point to add, maybe you can cover your tank, some discus can jump.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Your new solo setup for the pair looks good, next time can use simple black sponge also can. As for cone wise, you can choose anything you like, as long as you happy. Some breeders even have no cones and let their pairs lay eggs on the wall.

Another point to add, maybe you can cover your tank, some discus can jump.
Thanks for the comments and advices.

I actually have the tank covered with egg crates; didn't put that on while taking photo.

I was also using the black sponge prior to this but in the end thought a light-coloured sponge would match the tank's background better, so ended up went to buy this new sponge (waste of money, I know... ).

May I know does Aquastar in Yishun sell breeding cones (the rectangular one; I think I like that look better)? How much would it roughly cost? Same price as the cone-shaped?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #37
MonsterFish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Thanks for the comments and advices.

I actually have the tank covered with egg crates; didn't put that on while taking photo.

I was also using the black sponge prior to this but in the end thought a light-coloured sponge would match the tank's background better, so ended up went to buy this new sponge (waste of money, I know... ).

May I know does Aquastar in Yishun sell breeding cones (the rectangular one; I think I like that look better)? How much would it roughly cost? Same price as the cone-shaped?
Aquastar has these i think...

Bro est about 1 red note for the cone type... got tile type too... cone has 2 sizes... small and big...

Think u use lighter sponge bah... mine black sponge the fries always think thats the food area... lol...

now my fries already free swimming and attaching to parents...

may need to lower your water level when they spawn... hope they spawn on your cone than side walls.... if side walls you may have problem lowering the water...
MonsterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterFish View Post
Aquastar has these i think...

Bro est about 1 red note for the cone type... got tile type too... cone has 2 sizes... small and big...

Think u use lighter sponge bah... mine black sponge the fries always think thats the food area... lol...

now my fries already free swimming and attaching to parents...

may need to lower your water level when they spawn... hope they spawn on your cone than side walls.... if side walls you may have problem lowering the water...
Thanks for the info!

In the end I bought the cone (should be big, but there's only one size) for 2 red notes at Chong Pang.

Now the discus couple doesn't seem interested in spawning anymore in this new tank... Can only wait I guess.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
Jon409
Arofanatic

pump them up with red blood worms...for a week
do some WC ...my discus used to spawn after WC
all the best
Jon409 is offline   Reply With Quote