Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 18-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
morriselma
Dragon

Default care for two months old discus fries

hi everyone. first batch had no survivors aftetr a month

my second batch coming to two months already, less than 30 fries. currently kept in 3ft tank with female. male removed and returned to comm tank, hoping to pair with another female the fries r currently fed with chopped bw. last time i fed bh, the big ones died the next day.. any tips to feeding? at two months, how big should they roughly be?

thanks!
morriselma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
lancerevo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriselma View Post

my second batch coming to two months already, less than 30 fries. currently kept in 3ft tank with female. male removed and returned to comm tank, hoping to pair with another female the fries r currently fed with chopped bw. last time i fed bh, the big ones died the next day.. any tips to feeding? at two months, how big should they roughly be?

thanks!
Bro.

Can feed BH, but grind finely...and not too much feeding..small amout at a time...u can see the stomach bulge a little..time to stop.

also feed bh need to change water daily...a lot of work.
lancerevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
tuang
Arofanatic

2 mths about 1-1.5in. u can feed baby brine shrimp or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs instead of bh. frequent wc oso required.

i had observed a pair where they will chew and spit out the bh into finer bits. dunno if it is caring for the fries or just playing with the bh. but the fries did accept the spit bh readily. anyone encountered this before?
tuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
AngryMan
Senior Dragon

Default Discus

Hi brother, happy to hear that your fries already 2 mths. Do update us again on its development.
AngryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
jasonchua1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriselma View Post

thanks!
Hey Bro,

Congrats on your success....me thinks that its good to feed small amount and more regularly....but also pay attention to water quality....for my frys, my feeding regime are as follow:

Weekday:
7am: Tetrabits
6pm: Tetrabits
830pm: Frozen BW / PH (nearer to WC date)
1030pm: Decap BSE

Weekend:
10am: Tetrabits
12pm: PH
4pm: FBW
7pm: Tetrabits
10 pm: Decap BSE

WC is about 30-40%, once or twice a week.....so far no casualty yet

Btw, think 2 mths should be around 1" size liao

Happy raising your Juvs, cheers
Old 18-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
toonz

WC is very important for juv growth. usually my batch of 30 fries will grow faster than bigger group. think they no need to fight for food...

usually i feed twice a day, and try to Wc every 2 days if possible.
at 2 months, they should be able to eat small amount of PH/BH.
Old 18-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
oscar77
Dragon

chopped BH not fine enough for fries and they might die due to indigestion. 2 ways in preparing BH, by grinder or blender. Most commercial BH supplier use grinder. Heavy duty and for mass production. Some supplier they do double grinding, but some only grind once.

Double grinding the BH is finer but cloud the water more compare to single grinding. Of course, some of them have their own secret recipe to overcome clouding water issue. Finer BH better to your discus digestion. Better digestion less internal problem, ie internal parasite, bloated.. etc

Another method is using blender. this method produce the finest BH. But cloud the water the most. But is the best for your fish to digest. Mostly by those hobbyist prepare their own meal for discus.

Once starting feeding heart meal, you have to WC daily. The water is clean in naked eyes, but not clean for those fishes stay INSIDE the water.
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
condor
Dragon

if u know the supplier very well
ask him to grinder 3-4 times
may have to pay a bit more though
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
jess2006
Dragon

they probably died from overdistended stomach due to digestion problem.
if u feed bh, they must be very fine.
most fries don't die when 2 months old, but common cause is probably digestion problem.
u may consider chopped bw if u want but pellets or flakes may also be better as they are more suitable for fries compared to big pieces of bh.
good luck.
jess2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
limct
Dragon

Inorder for fries to grow healthy and fast. Daily water change is required and need at least to feed 5 time a day. For 2 month fries, it should be able to reach 2 inch in body size if you follow this routine.

Last edited by limct; 19-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.
limct is offline   Reply With Quote